What am I, swiss cheese?

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So last summer I kept trying to teach my then 3 year old to pedal a bike. He wasn't really getting it and didn't have much of an interest in it. I wasn't worried about it.

Tell me why today at playgroup my son watched another kid pedal a bike, then hopped on and pedaled as if he's been doing it his whole life?

Last summer he couldn't even get the coordination going to really pedal anything and now today he's just pedaling away as if he's been doing it this entire time. He's not even struggling or anything.

I guess nothing compares to seeing another kid do it lol. He just watched the other kid and it was just like it clicked and he started doing it himself no issues at all.

My DH is like that too. Just watches something done once and then he knows how. I wish I could be like that lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

There's a lot of development of motor skills in preschoolers over the course of a year. You can fight to teach them things they aren't ready for or wait until they are (given it isn't a delay they need to overcome).
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know but my oldest decided he was toilet trained because he wanted to be like the other kids and wear underwear at school. Hey whatever works I don't care. God bless whoever got you to think underwear was the way to go because it wasn't me. My youngest never learned how to ride a bike. Everyone and their mother tried but he acted like he was going to fall if I let him go. He always walked to school so I was like whatever I'm done fighting you. Now he wants to learn to ride a motorcycle. That was the point I told him he had issues that needed addressing. You won't learn to ride a bicycle but a motorcycle that's a hundred times more dangerous doesn't bother you. Tell me if that makes sense because I miss it.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:29 pm So last summer I kept trying to teach my then 3 year old to peddle a bike. He wasn't really getting it and didn't have much of an interest in it. I wasn't worried about it.

Tell me why today at playgroup my son watched another kid peddle a bike, then hopped on and peddled as if he's been doing it his whole life?

Last summer he couldn't even get the coordination going to really peddle anything and now today he's just peddling away as if he's been doing it this entire time. He's not even struggling or anything.

I guess nothing compares to seeing another kid do it lol. He just watched the other kid and it was just like it clicked and he started doing it himself no issues at all.

My DH is like that too. Just watches something done once and then he knows how. I wish I could be like that lol.
PedAL!

Like someone said, he's a bit older now and maybe just grew into it. Do kids even have to be shown how to do that? Like yours, I think most just get it (on trikes anyway) once they're ready.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:49 pm I don't know but my oldest decided he was toilet trained because he wanted to be like the other kids and wear underwear at school. Hey whatever works I don't care. God bless whoever got you to think underwear was the way to go because it wasn't me. My youngest never learned how to ride a bike. Everyone and their mother tried but he acted like he was going to fall if I let him go. He always walked to school so I was like whatever I'm done fighting you. Now he wants to learn to ride a motorcycle. That was the point I told him he had issues that needed addressing. You won't learn to ride a bicycle but a motorcycle that's a hundred times more dangerous doesn't bother you. Tell me if that makes sense because I miss it.
My 4 year old potty trained a few months ago. I was trying and trying and he absolutely refused. Then one day I bought character underwear. And he decided he absolutely COULD NOT pee or poop on Cocomelon, Spiderman, etc lol. From then on he used the toilet and hasn't had a single accident.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:01 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:29 pm So last summer I kept trying to teach my then 3 year old to peddle a bike. He wasn't really getting it and didn't have much of an interest in it. I wasn't worried about it.

Tell me why today at playgroup my son watched another kid peddle a bike, then hopped on and peddled as if he's been doing it his whole life?

Last summer he couldn't even get the coordination going to really peddle anything and now today he's just peddling away as if he's been doing it this entire time. He's not even struggling or anything.

PedAL!

Like someone said, he's a bit older now and maybe just grew into it. Do kids even have to be shown how to do that? Like yours, I think most just get it (on trikes anyway) once they're ready.
Ty. I've been so busy at work and my brain is scrambled most days. We're remodeling at work so it's been nuts.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:23 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:49 pm I don't know but my oldest decided he was toilet trained because he wanted to be like the other kids and wear underwear at school. Hey whatever works I don't care. God bless whoever got you to think underwear was the way to go because it wasn't me. My youngest never learned how to ride a bike. Everyone and their mother tried but he acted like he was going to fall if I let him go. He always walked to school so I was like whatever I'm done fighting you. Now he wants to learn to ride a motorcycle. That was the point I told him he had issues that needed addressing. You won't learn to ride a bicycle but a motorcycle that's a hundred times more dangerous doesn't bother you. Tell me if that makes sense because I miss it.
My 4 year old potty trained a few months ago. I was trying and trying and he absolutely refused. Then one day I bought character underwear. And he decided he absolutely COULD NOT pee or poop on Cocomelon, Spiderman, etc lol. From then on he used the toilet and hasn't had a single accident.
Can't poop on Spiderman...rofl
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Is this a bike with training wheels or tricycle? I see now that those balance bikes are popular for the little ones and the kids whiz around on those to prepare for a 2 wheeler. They didn't have those when my kids were 4 so we never had them but maybe try it out? If I had a little one I would get one.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I had one of those moments when I was trying to get my YDS to open his own chips/snacks for himself. He refused to learn or whatever, then he goes to kindergarten. He comes home the FIRST DAY of kindergarten, and was like, “look what Mrs. M taught me today, mommy!” Then proceeds to open a pack of fruit gummies.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing. My oldest learned to ride bike from his peers. We tried to teach him without training wheels a bit but he wasn't really getting it. Then one day (this was around age 5/6) he was out playing with his friends on the street and they taught him and he just got it, just like that. Now at age 18 he prefers to ride his bike even over driving.

On the flip side, everyone has tried to teach my youngest how to ride a bike and he never got it. I think there are some people that just can't get the balance. I have a coworker who said she tried to learn multiple times as a kid and multiple times as an adult and she just couldn't get it. I think some people just can't.
Locked Previous topicNext topic