Rep. Luna demands Capitol Police charge Jane Fonda for suggesting the 'murder' of pro-lifers

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:38 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:08 pm

Really???? I am an 80s kid and everybody’s mom had her VHS tapes. 😂😂😂😂. All these years, I didn’t know any of this.

Vietnam War was before my time but I would have felt strongly against it too. I don’t know what else she has been involved in but I don’t blame her for that.
My mother didn’t do aerobics. And probably didn’t get a VHS until after I graduated high school. I believe the controversy was that North Vietnamese was the enemy and she posed with their weapons they were maybe using against us. She says she just sat where they told her and didn’t know it was an anti aircraft gun. She also denied reports about POW. I’m sure she made a lot of people unhappy back in the day.
My parents were inbetweeners over Fonda. Mom had her workout video, books, and loved her movies with the exception of Barbarella and was a huge fan of all the Fondas. But didn’t agree with her way of activism though they often agreed on the issue. She never denied reports about POWs though. She meet with a group of POWs in an arranged meeting and like most Americans who travels to North Vietnam during that time took mail to the POWs and brought letters back. I want to say she brought over 200 letters from POWs to their families in the US.
I don't agree with the notion that a person has to be bitterly angry with a country we are at war with and obligated to cut any/all ties with the people there. I could understand if she broke the law or put American lives at risk...but I'm not gonna get mad at someone for a picture sitting on a weapon or taking letters to families if that was standard protocol.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I had some of her workout tapes. I knew she was anti war but didn’t know about Civil Rights and Native American rights. She is definitely woke and I stand with her.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:58 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:43 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 pm

My mother didn’t do aerobics. And probably didn’t get a VHS until after I graduated high school. I believe the controversy was that North Vietnamese was the enemy and she posed with their weapons they were maybe using against us. She says she just sat where they told her and didn’t know it was an anti aircraft gun. She also denied reports about POW. I’m sure she made a lot of people unhappy back in the day.
I believe they used to refer to her as Hanoi Jane? I've read about this. Didn't see any of it as I was a very young child in the late sixties.
I wasn’t born until mid/late 70’s. Just remember hearing the rumors and debates about her when I was really young and growing up on military bases. She wasn’t the only American who went to North Vietnam at the time. I think it was more that she was well known, from a well known family, with a well known husband, a very anti war. I know she has answered questions over the photo many times and her answer had never really differed.
To be fair, the whole US involvement was pretty dodgy.

DESOTO patrols (DeHaven Special Operations off TsingtaO) were patrols conducted by U.S. Navy destroyers equipped with a mobile "van" of signals-intelligence equipment used for intelligence collection in hostile waters.

On August 2, 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox, while performing a signals intelligence patrol as part of DESOTO operations, was approached by three Vietnam People's Navy torpedo boats of the 135th Torpedo Squadron.The Maddox fired warning shots and the North Vietnamese boats attacked with torpedoes and machine gun fire. In the ensuing engagement, one U.S. aircraft (which had been launched from aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga) was damaged, three North Vietnamese torpedo boats were damaged, and four North Vietnamese sailors were killed, with six more wounded. There were no U.S. casualties. Maddox was "unscathed except for a single bullet hole from a Vietnamese machine gun round".

On August 3, 1964, destroyer USS Turner Joy joined Maddox and the two destroyers continued the DESOTO mission. On the evening of August 4, the ships opened fire on radar returns that had been preceded by communications intercepts which US forces claimed meant an attack was imminent. The commander of the Maddox task force, Captain John Herrick, reported that the ships were being attacked by North Vietnamese boats when in fact, there were no North Vietnamese boats in the area. While Herrick soon reported doubts regarding the task force’s initial perceptions of the attack, the Johnson administration relied on the wrongly interpreted National Security Agency communications intercepts to conclude that the attack was real.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:27 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:58 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:43 pm

I believe they used to refer to her as Hanoi Jane? I've read about this. Didn't see any of it as I was a very young child in the late sixties.
I wasn’t born until mid/late 70’s. Just remember hearing the rumors and debates about her when I was really young and growing up on military bases. She wasn’t the only American who went to North Vietnam at the time. I think it was more that she was well known, from a well known family, with a well known husband, a very anti war. I know she has answered questions over the photo many times and her answer had never really differed.
To be fair, the whole US involvement was pretty dodgy.

DESOTO patrols (DeHaven Special Operations off TsingtaO) were patrols conducted by U.S. Navy destroyers equipped with a mobile "van" of signals-intelligence equipment used for intelligence collection in hostile waters.

On August 2, 1964, the destroyer USS Maddox, while performing a signals intelligence patrol as part of DESOTO operations, was approached by three Vietnam People's Navy torpedo boats of the 135th Torpedo Squadron.The Maddox fired warning shots and the North Vietnamese boats attacked with torpedoes and machine gun fire. In the ensuing engagement, one U.S. aircraft (which had been launched from aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga) was damaged, three North Vietnamese torpedo boats were damaged, and four North Vietnamese sailors were killed, with six more wounded. There were no U.S. casualties. Maddox was "unscathed except for a single bullet hole from a Vietnamese machine gun round".

On August 3, 1964, destroyer USS Turner Joy joined Maddox and the two destroyers continued the DESOTO mission. On the evening of August 4, the ships opened fire on radar returns that had been preceded by communications intercepts which US forces claimed meant an attack was imminent. The commander of the Maddox task force, Captain John Herrick, reported that the ships were being attacked by North Vietnamese boats when in fact, there were no North Vietnamese boats in the area. While Herrick soon reported doubts regarding the task force’s initial perceptions of the attack, the Johnson administration relied on the wrongly interpreted National Security Agency communications intercepts to conclude that the attack was real.
Read Daniel Ellsberg Pentagon Papers. Johnson flat out lied to the public and to Congress. I think the full report was finally completely declassified about 10-15 years ago, haven’t read it but I had read Ellsberg’s original article for a research paper back in the 90’s. Ellsberg had been charged under the Espionage Act of 1917 for the article. If i remember correctly the charges were dropped due to illegal evidence gathering and government misconduct.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

"Pro-lifers" have literally bombed abortion clinics and murdered doctors so maybe Luna should take a step or 2 (thousand) back.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This is probably persnickety, but they were talking about activists in general, they didn't mention the word politicians at all. I understand what you're saying but I think it was a stupid comment and she knows how inflammatory she was being. Still a stretch to say she was threatening politicians and that capitol police need to be involved.

I don't have an opinion on Jane Fonda except that I loved, loved, loved Grace and Frankie. I want whoever her plastic surgeon is because she looks phenomenal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic