San Francisco could pay $5 million to each of its Black residents in reparations

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am Instead of paying people I really think the money should be put into the infrastructures that are still keeping people down. Cities/counties across the country need to be fixed and changed. Schools, housing, etc all need to be changed. I think that would benefit everyone in the long run rather than a few bucks to this person or that person. Because let's face it, not everyone is going to get money. What do you think that is going to do? Further the divide.
And seriously, why only black people? The Indigenous and Mexicans have had it the same, if not worse, for a lot longer period of time. The colonists were horrible people.
Black people wouldn’t be the only ones to get reparations and speaking up for a particular group doesn’t mean excluding everyone else.

Everyone who deserves reparations should receive it but the US would never go for that because they fucked over so many groups it would be an endless amount of money.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:55 am Instead of paying people I really think the money should be put into the infrastructures that are still keeping people down. Cities/counties across the country need to be fixed and changed. Schools, housing, etc all need to be changed. I think that would benefit everyone in the long run rather than a few bucks to this person or that person. Because let's face it, not everyone is going to get money. What do you think that is going to do? Further the divide.
And seriously, why only black people? The Indigenous and Mexicans have had it the same, if not worse, for a lot longer period of time. The colonists were horrible people.
I agree with this. If we attack poverty directly, it won't matter why families are poor - literally everyone would benefit from raising our standard of living.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:30 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:58 pm People love to point to the “long ago” example of slavery when arguing against reparations as if that was the only time White America did Black people dirty. 🙄
It doesn’t bother you that slavery reparations haven’t been done already? States can do what they want with their money and so far two have come up with solutions. Slave states will never do anything on its own. We need a federal program that covers the whole country. Nothing less should be ok.
Pretty sure I never said it doesn’t bother me.
But only pointing to slavery dismisses and minimizes all the other horrible shit White America did.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:58 pm People love to point to the “long ago” example of slavery when arguing against reparations as if that was the only time White America did Black people dirty. 🙄
It doesn’t bother you that slavery reparations haven’t been done already? States can do what they want with their money and so far two have come up with solutions. Slave states will never do anything on its own. We need a federal program that covers the whole country. Nothing less should be ok.
But only pointing to slavery dismisses and minimizes all the other horrible shit White America did.
The more time goes by the easier it is to just forget about it. I agree with this from the Washington Post -

“ None of these policies can replace national action. Even combining their efforts, local and corporate entities couldn’t afford the scale of repayment — often estimated in the billions of dollars — that a federal reparations law would probably entail. ”.

So while it’s good that things are being done on smaller scales, pointing out that the federal government is the only way slavery reparations can be done is not dismissing specific areas of the country fixing specific wrongs like Tulsa. It’s not taken away all the other evil White people do.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

To the poster who ousted that everyone should get reparations: the Japanese, the Iran hostages and some Native groups got reparations. Being done do soon was probably easier. Those in charge waited so long for black people thinking it would be forgotten. I had slavery on 3 sides; one side came out in Ancestry. I’m on the fence but white people should stop thinking equality set in because slavery ended. It did not happen.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This just sounds divisive to me. A $5M per person payment? You know how many non-Blacks are going to look at that and say "well I grew up dirt poor, I didn't have advantages, where's my millions?" And it's going to further the divide and hate between the races. Also, "exempting black business from paying taxes". People are already high-strung about who is or is not paying their fair share in taxes. So if they did that then what's going to happen? Other businesses will use it as an advertising strategy "we pay our fair share of taxes" and then customers will seek out and patronize those businesses that do pay their taxes and it will create a further divide and hate between black-owned business and other businesses.

People aren't going to understand the true intent behind reparations. They're just going to see that their tax money is being given to people just for being black, or that they aren't getting a piece of this pie, and it's going to breed hatred. And the last thing we need is more hatred between the races.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:59 pm "A controversial draft reparations proposal that includes a $5 million lump-sum payment for each eligible Black person could make San Francisco the first major U.S. city to fund reparations, though it faces steep financial headwinds and blistering criticism from conservatives.

Tuesday’s meeting of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors will include a presentation by San Francisco’s African American Reparations Advisory Committee, which released its draft report in December. The $5 million-per-person payment is among more than 100 recommendations ranging from offering grants to buy and maintain homes to exempting Black businesses from paying taxes.

Supervisors can vote to adopt all, none or some of the recommendations and can change them. Several board members have expressed concerns over the potential hit the lump-sum payment and other options would have on the city budget, already facing a shortfall."

https://fortune.com/2023/03/14/san-fran ... er_FORTUNE
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci-momof2: the reason people won’t understand is because some non black people think as soon as slavery ended, everyone became equal. And we know that didn’t happen. And for those who say they had nothing to do with slavery: did those people have anything to do with the Iran hostages? It’s more about blacks people getting something for crappy treatment. But it will never pass.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:59 pm This just sounds divisive to me. A $5M per person payment? You know how many non-Blacks are going to look at that and say "well I grew up dirt poor, I didn't have advantages, where's my millions?" And it's going to further the divide and hate between the races. Also, "exempting black business from paying taxes". People are already high-strung about who is or is not paying their fair share in taxes. So if they did that then what's going to happen? Other businesses will use it as an advertising strategy "we pay our fair share of taxes" and then customers will seek out and patronize those businesses that do pay their taxes and it will create a further divide and hate between black-owned business and other businesses.

People aren't going to understand the true intent behind reparations. They're just going to see that their tax money is being given to people just for being black, or that they aren't getting a piece of this pie, and it's going to breed hatred. And the last thing we need is more hatred between the races.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:59 pm "A controversial draft reparations proposal that includes a $5 million lump-sum payment for each eligible Black person could make San Francisco the first major U.S. city to fund reparations, though it faces steep financial headwinds and blistering criticism from conservatives.

Tuesday’s meeting of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors will include a presentation by San Francisco’s African American Reparations Advisory Committee, which released its draft report in December. The $5 million-per-person payment is among more than 100 recommendations ranging from offering grants to buy and maintain homes to exempting Black businesses from paying taxes.

Supervisors can vote to adopt all, none or some of the recommendations and can change them. Several board members have expressed concerns over the potential hit the lump-sum payment and other options would have on the city budget, already facing a shortfall."

https://fortune.com/2023/03/14/san-fran ... er_FORTUNE

My family got reparations for Japanese internment but they weren’t below poverty level. Reparations is fair compensation for injustice, not helping the poor.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:07 pm Traci-momof2: the reason people won’t understand is because some non black people think as soon as slavery ended, everyone became equal. And we know that didn’t happen. And for those who say they had nothing to do with slavery: did those people have anything to do with the Iran hostages? It’s more about blacks people getting something for crappy treatment. But it will never pass.
I agree. The perception that slavery ended in the 1800s is completely inaccurate.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:02 am
SoFloMom wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm

The more time goes by the easier it is to just forget about it. I agree with this from the Washington Post -

“ None of these policies can replace national action. Even combining their efforts, local and corporate entities couldn’t afford the scale of repayment — often estimated in the billions of dollars — that a federal reparations law would probably entail. ”.

So while it’s good that things are being done on smaller scales, pointing out that the federal government is the only way slavery reparations can be done is not dismissing specific areas of the country fixing specific wrongs like Tulsa. It’s not taken away all the other evil White people do.
That’s your problem. Washington Post isn’t going to accurately educate you on the southern Black American experience, our history or current solution because a lot went on that wasn’t documented, so you have no way of knowing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic