It seems so unfair

Anonymous 1

Unread post

And that's life, I know.

My sweet husband has so many dental issues. In the 10 years we have been together, he has had 4 root canals, 5 crowns, 2 teeth pulled, and 2 bridges, not to mention a few cavities and fillings here and there. He brushes and flosses every day but it seems like his back teeth are always cracking and breaking apart.

I, on the other hand, brush my teeth every day but I struggle with flossing. IDK why, it makes me nauseas. So I try to floss every day but if I start getting nauseas, I have to stop. I just went to the dentist for the first time in 6 years (I finally got health insurance, woohoo!) and I don't have a single cavity. Just tartar build up. They did a deep cleaning and they said I'm good to go, I just come back in another 6 months for a routine cleaning and check up.

My husband doesn't handle pain well, but I do. I wish I could take all of his dental problems away from him.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It is unfair. I've seen it too where someone who takes better care of their teeth has more problems than another who doesn't take so good care of them. I'm convinced that dental health is primarily genetic, and secondarily how well you take care of them. Just like with any other health problem - you can do everything 'right' but genetics is still going to be the primary factor in what you struggle with.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Same here but the other way around. My DH doesn't really have to do anything other than brushing and he's fine when he goes to the dentist. I on the other hand am meticulous with brushing, flossing, and cleanings 3x a year. Yet every time I am there it seems to be one thing or another that's wrong. It's such bullshit lol. My teeth look great though as I keep up with them and fix anything wrong right away. I've spent thousands sigh.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Has your DH talked to his doctor? Sometimes other health issues can cause problems with the teeth.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:19 pm Has your DH talked to his doctor? Sometimes other health issues can cause problems with the teeth.
Hmm, I didn't consider that. No, he hasn't. He figures it's because he smoked for about 15 years. He also had a pretty serious soda pop addiction in his 20s and early 30s. I always figured it was because he grew up on non flouridated well water; he grew up on a ranch in a 3rd world country, no telling what was in the water.

I'll push him to talk to a doctor about it.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's me and DH. He has perfect teeth. He's had one cavity since I met him. Me, I look at sugar and 3 of my teeth immediately get cavities lol. And my 2 boys have never had a cavity.

The only thing that has ever helped me is Sensodyne. Avoid the whitening kind, but I use Sensodyne Pronamel. It has significantly cut down on the amount of cavities I get. I used to get 4-5 a year, now I get maybe one or two. A lot is genetics though and that'll play a bigger role than anything. And if he drinks pop or sugary drinks he needs to either stop or immediately brush his teeth after, otherwise that sugar will sit on his teeth all day until he brushes them again. I will occasionally drink pop but I brush my teeth right after I'm done.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have had every problem imaginable over the few decades. My husband doesn’t even floss and he has never had a problem. My dentist said some people luck out, some people just have bad teeth.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My teeth are so bad. Crowns, root canels, fillings all over. My sisters have teeth like mine. Our brothers have never had a cavity. One never brushes his teeth and they are great.

My back teeth are ruined from 5 pregnancies and throwing up the whole time. Like 15 times a day. My dentist said it used to be a child a tooth. She could see that I threw up a lot and it did damage.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My friends husband had teeth like that. If I remember he was saying the dentist said he was clenching and grinding his teeth in his sleep. He was given a mouth guard to wear when sleeping. Not sure if it fixed the problem, I should ask him this weekend.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I was a part of the Crest studies as a child. I've always brushed a lot and as an adult I floss and water floss. Now, almost half my teeth have been replaced by dental implants. I was clearly in the control group!
Locked Previous topicNext topic