Well, it got real...

mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:55 pm Mine is finishing up his senior year as well. He was going to go straight to college but has had a amazing opportunity come up with his hockey, so college that probably will wait a coupe of years. Thing is what he wants to do he has been told he is too young, and he should wait a few years anyway, as they will not even look at him due to his age. So he is going to take courses that will help his program and also work in a industry that will help. But we are not sure what this opportunity will turn into and do not want to discourage him.
How exciting! What have they told him he is too young for if you don't mind me asking? I hope it all works out well for him.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:10 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:55 pm Mine is finishing up his senior year as well. He was going to go straight to college but has had a amazing opportunity come up with his hockey, so college that probably will wait a coupe of years. Thing is what he wants to do he has been told he is too young, and he should wait a few years anyway, as they will not even look at him due to his age. So he is going to take courses that will help his program and also work in a industry that will help. But we are not sure what this opportunity will turn into and do not want to discourage him.
How exciting! What have they told him he is too young for if you don't mind me asking? I hope it all works out well for him.
Firefighter. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Program is a 1.5 years so that would make him just shy of 19 at graduation. So it may be off to Europe to play hockey for a few years after he turns 18.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Congrats. I remember your daughters being so young on cafemom! The years go by so fast. My oldest son graduated college already (Rutgers), my second son graduates this year (East Carolina University) and my 3rd daughter is getting ready to apply to UNC Chapel Hill. Crazy. Oh and I suppose I should mention my youngest son (13) who I was pregnant with when I joined CM who is currently home suspended LOL. Can't win 'em all right?! I hope she enjoys : )
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My oldest is a senior, will graduate in 2 months. He had his first little taste of it getting real when we did senior portraits 1.5 weeks ago and he put on the cap and gown for the portraits.

Right now I'm still in the mode of 'there's a lot to do between now and then'. I've got relatives already making their travel plans to come to the graduation so I have to figure out how I'm hosting them all. We still have to pick his final portraits from the photo session. I still want to convince him to test for his drivers' license before he graduates. We've got to get working on his resume and get him applying for jobs for this summer. He wants to work for the railroad, and there are some jobs out there that you can get as long as you are 18 and have a HS diploma, and then they train you themselves. So we need to start applying for those. He needs to also start applying for regular "grunt" jobs around here in case he's doing that for the summer. After graduation, one way or the other, he is getting a job. If it's not with the railroad right away, it will be something around here so he can get work experience. Because one of the opportunities that's peaked his interest is with Amtrak, and he can live with his aunt (my sister) but they say "some work experience" required so maybe working Target/Walmart/fast food or something like that over the summer and then get the Amtrak job in the fall/winter.

That's the hard part, he doesn't have a solid plan and can't really have one until we know what kind of job he can get. So he just needs to start applying and see what he gets and be ready to move quickly once something happens.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:28 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:10 pm
Firefighter. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Program is a 1.5 years so that would make him just shy of 19 at graduation. So it may be off to Europe to play hockey for a few years after he turns 18.
Yeah..that makes sense....hockey in Europe though!!! Nice!
Claire
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:53 pm Congrats. I remember your daughters being so young on cafemom! The years go by so fast. My oldest son graduated college already (Rutgers), my second son graduates this year (East Carolina University) and my 3rd daughter is getting ready to apply to UNC Chapel Hill. Crazy. Oh and I suppose I should mention my youngest son (13) who I was pregnant with when I joined CM who is currently home suspended LOL. Can't win 'em all right?! I hope she enjoys : )
They were babies back then. I blinked..I swear that is all that I did.😐
L applied to ECU and was accepted, but UNG is closer and she got a scholarship. Congrats to your kiddos! My 14 year old regularly makes me understand why some animals eat their young so yeah..can't win them all. 😂😂
Claire
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:53 pm My oldest is a senior, will graduate in 2 months. He had his first little taste of it getting real when we did senior portraits 1.5 weeks ago and he put on the cap and gown for the portraits.

Right now I'm still in the mode of 'there's a lot to do between now and then'. I've got relatives already making their travel plans to come to the graduation so I have to figure out how I'm hosting them all. We still have to pick his final portraits from the photo session. I still want to convince him to test for his drivers' license before he graduates. We've got to get working on his resume and get him applying for jobs for this summer. He wants to work for the railroad, and there are some jobs out there that you can get as long as you are 18 and have a HS diploma, and then they train you themselves. So we need to start applying for those. He needs to also start applying for regular "grunt" jobs around here in case he's doing that for the summer. After graduation, one way or the other, he is getting a job. If it's not with the railroad right away, it will be something around here so he can get work experience. Because one of the opportunities that's peaked his interest is with Amtrak, and he can live with his aunt (my sister) but they say "some work experience" required so maybe working Target/Walmart/fast food or something like that over the summer and then get the Amtrak job in the fall/winter.

That's the hard part, he doesn't have a solid plan and can't really have one until we know what kind of job he can get. So he just needs to start applying and see what he gets and be ready to move quickly once something happens.
I'm sure he will do well and get whatever position he wants one day...whether it is right away or in a year. 😉
Claire
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Congratulations! I wish her well in her next chapter of life.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yay! Congrats! You must be so proud!

DD is only a sophomore but is already determined to attend Georgetown!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't know why people say time flies. I feel like I'm 900 years old and life just drags on and on.
Locked Previous topicNext topic