Serious question.

Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm I’ve never thought enough about him to think on the subject. But in general Idc about the Oscars and don’t think they’re a measure of anyone’s ability.
I only think about him when he’s nominated… He’s like the Susan Lucci of the Oscar’s.. She was nominated for an Emmy 19 times… I think she finally won at the end of her career.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 am The Oscars are a joke.

Just a bunch of old, rich, white men patting their favorites on the head, and occasionally throwing in a person of color to seem "woke".

I never understood the fascination with it.
Dude... That's racist... Throw them in to seem woke? So you don't actually think people of color created something that made it so they deserved to be there? Or do you just feel like bitching at the old white men who showed up for what they created too is the woke thing to do?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:32 am

Just a bunch of old, rich, white men patting their favorites on the head, and occasionally throwing in a person of color to seem "woke".

Dude... That's racist... Throw them in to seem woke? So you don't actually think people of color created something that made it so they deserved to be there? Or do you just feel like bitching at the old white men who showed up for what they created too is the woke thing to do?
Right. And it seems what she is saying is people of color should not attend the award shows because of their skills but because they are being "thrown in." ...And she is disparaging white people but she herself is white? Whatever lol.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:55 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:41 pm Maybe not be a whackadoodle.
Because of Scientology?
I really don’t know much about it. He seems like less of a whackadoodle than a lot of other actors out there.
It’s a cult.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think it is a lot like literature, performing arts has a discrepancy between what is popular & makes the most revenue from the public compared to what experts in the field judge as high quality work.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ll be honest, I think those awards are highly overrated. Maybe I’d feel differently if there was major, televised, red carpet awards for say nurses, teachers, firefighters, EMTs, military personnel, law enforcement, etc. But as is, it’s a disgusting exploitation of insecurity and neediness.

ETA: he’s not the only person who does his own stunts. Hasn’t really gone to the extremes others have to really “be” the character. He’s been good in a few roles, has played roles that really the picture wouldn’t have been better or worse with a different actor, and has done a few that were nothing but type casting.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:38 pm I really don't think he's that great. He lacks depth and always plays the same types of characters.
I liked him in The Outsiders. The type casting worked well for Rain Man, A Few Good Men, and the Top Guns. Collateral was good and different for him, but I don’t think his performance “made” the movie. I liked Minority Report but again, not really sure if his performance made the movie. Several of his roles were very type casted and too close together which I think harmed his career as well as his growth as an actor. I think I’m the only person who absolutely disliked Jerry Maguire and thinks it would have been better if it was focused on Cuba and Regina, lol, because that little side story, was far better than the main storyline.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 am

I haven’t fully watched the Oscar’s in a long time, but I look at who’s nominated and when it’s over who won. I really thought Angela Bassett or Viola Davis would win their movies were good.
That’s what I do, I don’t watch the actual show. Lol! I was rooting for Basset and Davis too.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Has he been in a ton of movies, sure. But most of his movies from the past decade have been cookie cutter action with generic plots, nothing really exceptional. Top Gun Maverick did well in the box office because it’s a sequel of a well known movie. They honestly could have not had him in it and most people would have still gone.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Well… how many times have you showed up to those other awards or expressed interest in watching them?

Every one of those awards ceremonies ( Military, police, Teacher awards ect…) will be televised and live-streamed the moment there is enough interest…

The only reason the Academy Awards are televised is because there is enough public interest…

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:55 am I’ll be honest, I think those awards are highly overrated. Maybe I’d feel differently if there was major, televised, red carpet awards for say nurses, teachers, firefighters, EMTs, military personnel, law enforcement, etc. But as is, it’s a disgusting exploitation of insecurity and neediness.

ETA: he’s not the only person who does his own stunts. Hasn’t really gone to the extremes others have to really “be” the character. He’s been good in a few roles, has played roles that really the picture wouldn’t have been better or worse with a different actor, and has done a few that were nothing but type casting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic