Serious question.

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:54 pm I’ve never thought enough about him to think on the subject. But in general Idc about the Oscars and don’t think they’re a measure of anyone’s ability.
I didn't watch the Oscars. Didn't watch the Emmy's last month either. Meh is my take on all of it.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:40 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:32 am
KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 am The Oscars are a joke.

Just a bunch of old, rich, white men patting their favorites on the head, and occasionally throwing in a person of color to seem "woke".

I never understood the fascination with it.
Dude... That's racist... Throw them in to seem woke? So you don't actually think people of color created something that made it so they deserved to be there? Or do you just feel like bitching at the old white men who showed up for what they created too is the woke thing to do?
Nice try.

The Oscars have been historically racially biased since the beginning and more deserving POC have been denied than nominated due to race.It's as simple as that.
I’d say slam dunk… if you see something that was historically racist, doubling down on the racism isnt a way to get it to stop. It just makes you racist too.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The only Tom Cruise movie that I thought his acting was exemplary was "Born on the Fourth of July". I thought he was brilliant and deserved an Oscar for his role but couldn't deny that Danial Day Lewis deserved it too that year.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Dude... That's racist... Throw them in to seem woke? So you don't actually think people of color created something that made it so they deserved to be there? Or do you just feel like bitching at the old white men who showed up for what they created too is the woke thing to do?
Nice try.

The Oscars have been historically racially biased since the beginning and more deserving POC have been denied than nominated due to race.It's as simple as that.
I’d say slam dunk… if you see something that was historically racist, doubling down on the racism isnt a way to get it to stop. It just makes you racist too.
I'm simply calling it like I see it. It is what it is and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it stop either.

And I'm far from a racist. My AA DH of almost 30 years would certainly agree.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:43 pm

Nice try.

I'm simply calling it like I see it. It is what it is and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it stop either.

Then you see it through racist eyes. I don’t give a shit who you’re married to…

People of Color weren’t there because they were “thrown in” , they earned it.
Those old white men who attended aren’t just fodder for the cameras, they helped to create the industry that was being celebrated that night…

Stop talking shit about people with their skin color as the ultimate target… regardless of whether they’re white or someone of color. It’s gross… and it makes you racist.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:01 pm

Those old white men who attended aren’t just fodder for the cameras, they helped to create the industry that was being celebrated that night…

Stop talking shit about people with their skin color as the ultimate target… regardless of whether they’re white or someone of color. It’s gross… and it makes you racist.
You don't get it and probably never will, so I'll leave with this.

The bottom line is, like my original comment, the Oscars are a joke because of "who" they are chosen by and always have been.

Get your head out of the sand and take the blinders off. Nothing I said was untrue.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Only Academy Members are eligible to win Oscars so it might be helpful to explain HOW Members are chosen.

ACADEMY MEMBERSHIP
WHO
Academy membership is limited to film artists working in the production of theatrically-released motion pictures. The Academy has 17 branches, for the crafts ranging from Actors to Writers, and the Members-at-Large category, to accommodate individuals who work in motion picture production but do not fit into one of the branches.

HOW
The Academy’s membership process is by sponsorship, not application. Candidates must be sponsored by two Academy members from the branch to which the candidate seeks admission.

Additionally, Academy Award nominees are automatically considered for membership and do not require sponsors.

Nominees and sponsored candidates are reviewed by branch committees and recommendations for membership are considered by the Academy’s Board of Governors. The Board decides which individuals will receive invitations.

Membership review takes place once a year, in the spring.

WHERE
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global organization, representing the best of an international art form, and has members in countries all over the world.

SPONSORSHIP INSTRUCTIONS
Sponsoring a candidate for membership in the Academy is a serious commitment. Please make sure you are confident the candidate has truly “demonstrated exceptional achievement in the field of theatrical motion pictures” before you agree to sponsor an individual.

It is important to be familiar with the admission criteria of your branch (or category, if you are sponsoring someone as a Member-at-Large).
Please note:

A member may sponsor only one candidate per membership cycle

Candidates for branch membership must be sponsored by members of the branch in question. Members-at-Large may be sponsored by any two members, from any branch. Members-at-Large may only sponsor Members-at-Large.

NEW MEMBERS PROPOSAL PROCESS
A candidate for membership must be sponsored by two members of the branch for which the individual qualifies. One sponsor should initiate the sponsorship process on the Academy Member Portal. Please review your branch’s requirements before submitting a candidate for consideration.

After the two sponsors have completed the online process, the proposed candidate will receive an email requesting additional information. Once completed, the Member Relations and Awards Department will be in touch if any additional information is required.

Each candidate who receives a favorable endorsement from the appropriate Branch Executive Committee will be submitted to the Board of Governors for final approval and invitation to membership.

So it is very easy to see how a system starting WAY BACK from the First Academy Awards in 1927, could continue to be systematically racist even now despite the limited progress that has been made over the years. Most of which has only happened in the last 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_o ... d_Sciences

According to a February 2012 study conducted by the Los Angeles Times (sampling over 5,000 of its 5,765 members), the Academy at that time was 94% white, 77% male, 86% age 50 or older, and had a median age of 62. A third of members were previous winners or nominees of Academy Awards themselves. Of the Academy's 54-member Board of Governors, 25 are female.[49]

On June 29, 2016, a paradigm shift began in the Academy's selection process, resulting in a new class comprising 46% women and 41% people of color.( This was the breakdown of NEW members added to the Academy Award Membership....not the overall percentage of all members which is still strong majority of White and Male)

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/oscar ... e%20Oscars.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 am The Oscars are a joke.

Just a bunch of old, rich, white men patting their favorites on the head, and occasionally throwing in a person of color to seem "woke".

I never understood the fascination with it.
Nice try.

Haven’t those old White men died off yet? Maybe they shouldn’t give them membership for life. Let everyone serve ten years and then move along.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:49 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:01 pm

You don't get it and probably never will, so I'll leave with this.

The bottom line is, like my original comment, the Oscars are a joke because of "who" they are chosen by and always have been.

Get your head out of the sand and take the blinders off. Nothing I said was untrue.
Truth is a bit of a murky area when you’re deciding the motivations of strangers and ignoring the contributions of others…

But I’m sure you said it because you think it’s woke to put down others in such a way… I just don’t think you even understand who you were insulting with the first statement…
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sorry he IS a whackadoodle for his Scientology nonsense. Scientology is NOT a legit religion; it is actually a cult that is trying hard to be perceived as real religion. It's full of ridiculous practices and the "church" treats its followers like slaves. People who have managed to escape the brainwashing have revealed how dangerous this group actually is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic