Neighborhood man angry over dog poop.

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:17 am
highlandmum wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:41 pm
i agree that the person should take it home to dispose of or put it in a community dispose bin. But this part is just laughable. Are you going to say the same when a person picks through your recycling looking for cans? Or when the salvage truck comes around and takes a dryer that does not work that you put to the curb. The only reason I think you should take it home is one it is inconsiderate to dispose of pet waste in another person garbage. Here it’s put in our green bin (compost pickup) and most people store these bins in the garage. Plus if you use the wrong type of bag the bin will be stickered and not picked up for the week.
Rifling through other’s recycling or throwing away things in someone’s garbage is not the norm here at all. It’s creepy and not done in our neighborhood at all. No one would be laughing, I think they probably would call the authorities if someone was searching for cans.
It's done here as if they take them in to a recycler they get 1.5 cents per can. So most just put them in the recycling box and on garbage night a few of what I would say are homeless come around on bikes with make shift wagons. They sort through the box looking for cans, and bottles. Some will even put out wine bottles and beer bottles in them for these people. As for the appliances is it not better for the scrap people to take them, and recycle them instead of them landing in a landfill site?

Why would you call the authorities if someone was searching for cans - seems like a overreaction for someone just looking for a way to make money. People in my area even have separate bins they put out that state - cans and bottles. They come by dump the bin and leave. I will say the ones that do go through make sure every little thing is put back in the boxes.
I think it really depends on the area. Around here, if people were rummaging through trash cans then the first thing other would think of is that they are looking for discarded mail and such in order to steal identities. That's definitely a concern there and quite possibly would warrant a call to police.

Our garbage isn't run by the city. Ours is run by a separate company, and a couple years ago they stopped doing the separate recycling bins because it wasn't cost effective for them. I think I also saw you mention compost bins in an earlier comment? I personally have never seen separate bins for compost. I don't think that's common in the US. As far as I know if a person wants to compost they have to do it on their own in their own back yard. So when you see bins out on garbage day, those bins have everything in them. If people are looking for cans to recycle, they have to dig through a lot of grossness and so you just don't see people doing it.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:44 pm

Rifling through other’s recycling or throwing away things in someone’s garbage is not the norm here at all. It’s creepy and not done in our neighborhood at all. No one would be laughing, I think they probably would call the authorities if someone was searching for cans.
It's done here as if they take them in to a recycler they get 1.5 cents per can. So most just put them in the recycling box and on garbage night a few of what I would say are homeless come around on bikes with make shift wagons. They sort through the box looking for cans, and bottles. Some will even put out wine bottles and beer bottles in them for these people. As for the appliances is it not better for the scrap people to take them, and recycle them instead of them landing in a landfill site?

Why would you call the authorities if someone was searching for cans - seems like a overreaction for someone just looking for a way to make money. People in my area even have separate bins they put out that state - cans and bottles. They come by dump the bin and leave. I will say the ones that do go through make sure every little thing is put back in the boxes.
I think it really depends on the area. Around here, if people were rummaging through trash cans then the first thing other would think of is that they are looking for discarded mail and such in order to steal identities. That's definitely a concern there and quite possibly would warrant a call to police.

Our garbage isn't run by the city. Ours is run by a separate company, and a couple years ago they stopped doing the separate recycling bins because it wasn't cost effective for them. I think I also saw you mention compost bins in an earlier comment? I personally have never seen separate bins for compost. I don't think that's common in the US. As far as I know if a person wants to compost they have to do it on their own in their own back yard. So when you see bins out on garbage day, those bins have everything in them. If people are looking for cans to recycle, they have to dig through a lot of grossness and so you just don't see people doing it.
Yes, we have three - blue bins, green bin, and everything else goes into the garbage which is picked up every other week. I'll be honest I have four people living in my house and one bag of garbage. Most things here go into the blue bins or the green bins. Paper actually is requested to be shredded and to go into the green bin, so no one want to dig through organic waste to get a envelope that is covered with vegetable peelings, and grease.

Heck our green bins can have the following in them - food scraps, liquids, grease, take-out packaging, paper plates, paper towels, facial tissues, shredded paper, hair, nail clippings, wrapped pet waste, houseplants, cut flowers, greenery, pumpkins, cold wood ashes

Blue Bins have the following - cartons, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, empty aerosol cans, paper cups, coffee cups, coffee lids, plastic bottles, jars, and clamshells, windshield wash fluid containers, aluminum foil, aluminum plates/trays, all paper items, plastic bags, boxboard, egg cartons, salt bags, paper tubes, cardboard, corrugated cardboard

By the time you are done doing all of this you have no garbage left. Hence why I have one bag every other week. We do not have those large garbage containers you have, if you drive down my street on regular garbage day you see black garbage bags on the curb beside a few blue bins, and a green bin. We also have a garbage bag limit of 3, then a few weeks of the year you have double days (so 6) and large bulky items.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:10 pm

Yes, we have three - blue bins, green bin, and everything else goes into the garbage which is picked up every other week. I'll be honest I have four people living in my house and one bag of garbage. Most things here go into the blue bins or the green bins. Paper actually is requested to be shredded and to go into the green bin, so no one want to dig through organic waste to get a envelope that is covered with vegetable peelings, and grease.

Heck our green bins can have the following in them - food scraps, liquids, grease, take-out packaging, paper plates, paper towels, facial tissues, shredded paper, hair, nail clippings, wrapped pet waste, houseplants, cut flowers, greenery, pumpkins, cold wood ashes

Blue Bins have the following - cartons, glass bottles and jars, metal cans, empty aerosol cans, paper cups, coffee cups, coffee lids, plastic bottles, jars, and clamshells, windshield wash fluid containers, aluminum foil, aluminum plates/trays, all paper items, plastic bags, boxboard, egg cartons, salt bags, paper tubes, cardboard, corrugated cardboard

By the time you are done doing all of this you have no garbage left. Hence why I have one bag every other week. We do not have those large garbage containers you have, if you drive down my street on regular garbage day you see black garbage bags on the curb beside a few blue bins, and a green bin. We also have a garbage bag limit of 3, then a few weeks of the year you have double days (so 6) and large bulky items.
Call me spoiled but that sounds like a lot of work to separate that all out. And it has me wondering how you handle it inside the house.

For example, our little trash can in the bathroom will have a lot of facial tissue, some hair and nail clippings, empty tp rolls, plastic packaging, paper packaging, q-tips, and it sounds like that all should go in at least two different bins if not three. So do you keep 2 or 3 small trash cans in all areas around the house to sort it as you throw it? And if so how do you have room for all of that?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:42 pm

Call me spoiled but that sounds like a lot of work to separate that all out. And it has me wondering how you handle it inside the house.

For example, our little trash can in the bathroom will have a lot of facial tissue, some hair and nail clippings, empty tp rolls, plastic packaging, paper packaging, q-tips, and it sounds like that all should go in at least two different bins if not three. So do you keep 2 or 3 small trash cans in all areas around the house to sort it as you throw it? And if so how do you have room for all of that?
I was going to say the same thing! I just clipped my toe nails today and put them in our little trash can in the bathroom. When that gets half full or so I take that bag out and put it in the kitchen trash. Sorry but nobody here is separating nail clippings and hair from a hair brush LOL!! That's so foreign to me.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have a garbage bin in the bathroom which has a split bin one for regular garbage and one for recycling. Under the sinks we have a small bin the green bin. In the kitchen we have a three compartment can. One for regular garbage, one for recycling, and one for organics. Being in a area that does this we have all types of items in the stores available to us. Larger items - pop bottles, large boxes, and such we just take right into the garage. We have a station in the garage which has two shelves (one for each blue bin), then the garbage and the green bin sit underneath. They kind of look like this - not exactly, but you will get the idea
kitchen.jpg
kitchen.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 183 times
bathroom.jpg
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:13 pm

I was going to say the same thing! I just clipped my toe nails today and put them in our little trash can in the bathroom. When that gets half full or so I take that bag out and put it in the kitchen trash. Sorry but nobody here is separating nail clippings and hair from a hair brush LOL!! That's so foreign to me.
It becomes second nature. As I said we have a split garbage in the bathrooms that has garbage and recycling, then under the sink we have a small container that we put the green items in. Since we have a limit of three garbage bags every other week you begin to really separate your items. It's not a lot of work. Everyone in the house knows where things go and I will say if you dare put something in the wrong container a teenager or child will sure let you know fast. But my city has had the blue box program for 40 years so every since I can remember we have at least been recycling.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

i agree that the person should take it home to dispose of or put it in a community dispose bin. But this part is just laughable. Are you going to say the same when a person picks through your recycling looking for cans? Or when the salvage truck comes around and takes a dryer that does not work that you put to the curb. The only reason I think you should take it home is one it is inconsiderate to dispose of pet waste in another person garbage. Here it’s put in our green bin (compost pickup) and most people store these bins in the garage. Plus if you use the wrong type of bag the bin will be stickered and not picked up for the week.

Because people also search through other people’s trash for banking statements and papers they can use to steal a person’s identity or open up a credit card in their name…
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lol, I live in sprawling secluded little suburbia. Right or wrong, our neighborhood is not going to want strangers creeping through our trash. If residents wanted that type of community, we’d probably have settled a little more urban. In my 19 years of living here, there has never been anyone doing that, so it’d be alarming & would likely make people feel unsafe.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Because people also search through other people’s trash for banking statements and papers they can use to steal a person’s identity or open up a credit card in their name…
No one shreds their papers? My cross-cut paper shredder cost me $30. Plus here it's not the garbage it is a blue bin, filled with glass jars, cans, and plastic bottles. The paper is in the green bin, shredded and covered in organic waste. But now I am really confused, you are worried about someone stealing your identity but still put the papers in the trash without shredding them?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:43 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

No one shreds their papers? My cross-cut paper shredder cost me $30. Plus here it's not the garbage it is a blue bin, filled with glass jars, cans, and plastic bottles. The paper is in the green bin, shredded and covered in organic waste. But now I am really confused, you are worried about someone stealing your identity but still put the papers in the trash without shredding them?
Lol no , I don’t shred everything that gets mailed to me… and we only have one big can that everything goes in…you are making it sound like you spend four hours a week dealing with your trash…

Are you trying to tell me that if you see someone rifiling through the trash you just think oh well I’m fine, sucks for the neighbor then if she didn’t protect herself enough from the criminals….INSTEAD of calling the police and doing your part to protect the neighborhood?
Locked Previous topicNext topic