Neighborhood man angry over dog poop.

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:35 pm
highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:17 am

Rifling through other’s recycling or throwing away things in someone’s garbage is not the norm here at all. It’s creepy and not done in our neighborhood at all. No one would be laughing, I think they probably would call the authorities if someone was searching for cans.
It's done here as if they take them in to a recycler they get 1.5 cents per can. So most just put them in the recycling box and on garbage night a few of what I would say are homeless come around on bikes with make shift wagons. They sort through the box looking for cans, and bottles. Some will even put out wine bottles and beer bottles in them for these people. As for the appliances is it not better for the scrap people to take them, and recycle them instead of them landing in a landfill site?

Why would you call the authorities if someone was searching for cans - seems like a overreaction for someone just looking for a way to make money. People in my area even have separate bins they put out that state - cans and bottles. They come by dump the bin and leave. I will say the ones that do go through make sure every little thing is put back in the boxes.
Lol, I live in sprawling secluded little suburbia. Right or wrong, our neighborhood is not going to want strangers creeping through our trash. If residents wanted that type of community, we’d probably have settled a little more urban. In my 19 years of living here, there has never been anyone doing that, so it’d be alarming & would likely make people feel unsafe.
Oh this is suburbia where I live. I walked to my community mailbox last night at 1am. So that tells you how safe I feel in my area. It is done around here and no one says a word, you see them, they say hi to you, then they move on to the next box. Heck I even saw the garbage man gave the one guy that was going through the bins a sandwich and water. It is just a person on a bike taking cans out of a blue bin, who may be down on their luck. Maybe we are just a bit more accepting of it, but no one is calling the police on these people and no one is pulling a weapon on them either.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If it bothers him, I’d suggest a note on the can. Calling the police seems like an overreaction.

On a side note, I’ve learned way too much about how vastly different handling of trash and dog poop is in various areas of the US and Canada.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don't have dogs, just cats. Pretty sure my neighbor would be pissed if I deposited the poo in his can instead of my own.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:37 pm It’s rude and people shouldn’t do it. It isn’t a police matter, but people should still know better without him having to put a sign in his can. You don’t put your trash in someone else’s bin, especially when the trash can leave an unpleasant odor in the bin.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's NOT "proper disposal" to use someone else's trash cans! If it's YOUR trash of ANY kind take it home and put it YOUR trash.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:48 pm
highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:43 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Because people also search through other people’s trash for banking statements and papers they can use to steal a person’s identity or open up a credit card in their name…
No one shreds their papers? My cross-cut paper shredder cost me $30. Plus here it's not the garbage it is a blue bin, filled with glass jars, cans, and plastic bottles. The paper is in the green bin, shredded and covered in organic waste. But now I am really confused, you are worried about someone stealing your identity but still put the papers in the trash without shredding them?
Lol no , I don’t shred everything that gets mailed to me… and we only have one big can that everything goes in…you are making it sound like you spend four hours a week dealing with your trash…

Are you trying to tell me that if you see someone rifiling through the trash you just think oh well I’m fine, sucks for the neighbor then if she didn’t protect herself enough from the criminals….INSTEAD of calling the police and doing your part to protect the neighborhood?
I also live in Canada, in an urban residential neighbourhood where people looking to trade in alcohol cans and bottles for the money will regularly come by on garbage day for them once my and my neighbour’s recycling bins are by the side of the road, off our properties. It would never occur to me (nor my neighbours, as I’ve never seen it happen) to call the police over that? They’re not doing anything illegal or dangerous to the neighbourhood that requires protection?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

His can, his rules. If he doesn't want neighbors disposing of their trash in his can that is his prerogative. He's paying for the trash service he can dictate what goes in his can. Put a note on the can and call it good. (I think calling cops is a bit much)

Now me personally....if my can is at the end of the road waiting for pickup and you've got something to throw in it real quick like dog poop, have at it.....Otherwise the can is pretty far back on my property....far enough that it would make me uncomfortable if someone was throwing things out in it.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:48 pm
highlandmum wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:43 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Because people also search through other people’s trash for banking statements and papers they can use to steal a person’s identity or open up a credit card in their name…
No one shreds their papers? My cross-cut paper shredder cost me $30. Plus here it's not the garbage it is a blue bin, filled with glass jars, cans, and plastic bottles. The paper is in the green bin, shredded and covered in organic waste. But now I am really confused, you are worried about someone stealing your identity but still put the papers in the trash without shredding them?
Lol no , I don’t shred everything that gets mailed to me… and we only have one big can that everything goes in…you are making it sound like you spend four hours a week dealing with your trash…

Are you trying to tell me that if you see someone rifiling through the trash you just think oh well I’m fine, sucks for the neighbor then if she didn’t protect herself enough from the criminals….INSTEAD of calling the police and doing your part to protect the neighborhood?
It takes me probably 5 minutes to collect everything and separate the blue bin. Shredding is done once we are finished with whatever we have. I walk into each washroom and collect three bins, then I go into the kitchen and grab three bins, make sure everything is separate in the blue bins, one for cans and bottles, the other is newspaper, and cardboard or boxes. It is done. Not much longer than it takes you to collect a garbage can from the rooms. As for someone rifling through garbage, they are not splitting open garbage bags, they are going through an open blue bin. A blue bin looks like this, no one is putting any important documents in one
41418067-7C2C-4C7D-BE53-76EC4A990A4C.jpeg
41418067-7C2C-4C7D-BE53-76EC4A990A4C.jpeg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 147 times
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't get angry myself for one dumping a poop bag. Prefer that over someone allowing the dog to crap in my yard.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:19 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:06 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:57 pm

Apparently you weren’t taught not to touch other peoples personal property.

I don't know if it is their personal property though. These are town issued cans that are provided to you through your taxes. You can't take the cans with you if you move.
It’s still leased to me and no one should be touching it but me unless you are the government. We clean out our trash cans after trash pickup and don’t need to be fishing someone else’s dog poop bags out of the bottom because they were too lazy to carry it to their own trash can.
When a trash can is rolled out to the curb, it's fair game. You have zero control over who touches it.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic