Republican bill HB 991

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Have a read of HB 991: Defamation, False Light, and Unauthorized Publication of Name or Likenesses
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2 ... illHistory
On page 6 it says:
(a) A defendant cannot prove the truth of an allegation of discrimination with respect to sexual orientation or gender identity by citing a plaintiff's constitutionally protected religious expression or beliefs.
(b) A defendant cannot prove the truth of an allegation of discrimination with respect to sexual orientation or gender identity by citing a plaintiff's scientific beliefs.
What would that mean in plain language, if it passed?

It means that if SusieRainbow posts online about getting married next month to another woman and BobTheWanker posts "SusieRainbow deserves to be killed because she is homosexual." then if she replies "Bob, please don't ruin my discussion of the happy day with homophobia.", Bob can sue Susie for calling him a homophobe and win a minimum of $35,000 in damages.

Note: Susie can't use Bob actually being a homophobe in her defence. She has to show that Bob did not make that particular comment because Bob believes in a religion which teaches that (or, rather, that Bob interprets that way).

MORE INFO
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is this about SLAPP?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:41 am Is this about SLAPP?
I don't think so?

I think it is more a right wing politicians trying to appeal to their base by saying "You should vote for me, because I'm trying to help you carry on being a bigot while also denying that you are being a bigot. Go Jeeeeezus!"
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

This means that if a journalist publishes information primarily used for slander he can be sued.

https://m.flsenate.gov/session/bill/202 ... /filed/pdf
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, I don’t think that’s what it means. Because in your example it’s not an allegation, the person is downright expressing that the other person should be KILLED over their sexual orientation. That’s hate speech. And if there’s a record of those words, that’s proof right there of hate speech. Legally speaking, there’s no proving thoughts and beliefs. You need evidence of actions, and if an action is consistent with the allegations, then that’s your proof. But you cannot make allegations based on assumptions and your own prejudices regarding another person’s beliefs.

I think it’s more along the lines that if a gay couple wants to have their wedding in a venue and they’re rejected and given a reason for that’s not linked to their sexual orientation, they cannot use the fact that the owners are conservative Christian as proof of an allegation that they’re really being discriminated against. That is an assumption one shouldn’t be entitled to make. If you think that the owners are lying and actually being discriminating, then you need more evidence than just their beliefs. And I’m sorry, but I think that’s fair. I’m a small time caterer, sometimes I have to say no based on the fact that I won’t have the time to do a particular request. If it happens to be a gay couple that I have to turn away, they could turn around and accuse me of discrimination just based on the fact that I’m an Orthodox Jew? How is that fair to my or my business reputation? If they don’t believe me, then they should find proof that the reason I gave them is a lie. I shouldn’t be labeled and possibly face legal repercussions just because of my beliefs.

I know these aren’t journalism oriented examples, but it’s just to illustrate why a person’s beliefs can’t and shouldn’t be used as proof of discrimination if they’re not accompanied by actions that corroborate it. And to accuse another person of discrimination without more proof than their beliefs should be considered defamation.
Aletheia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 am Have a read of HB 991: Defamation, False Light, and Unauthorized Publication of Name or Likenesses
On page 6 it says:
(a) A defendant cannot prove the truth of an allegation of discrimination with respect to sexual orientation or gender identity by citing a plaintiff's constitutionally protected religious expression or beliefs.
(b) A defendant cannot prove the truth of an allegation of discrimination with respect to sexual orientation or gender identity by citing a plaintiff's scientific beliefs.

It means that if SusieRainbow posts online about getting married next month to another woman and BobTheWanker posts "SusieRainbow deserves to be killed because she is homosexual." then if she replies "Bob, please don't ruin my discussion of the happy day with homophobia.", Bob can sue Susie for calling him a homophobe and win a minimum of $35,000 in damages.

Note: Susie can't use Bob actually being a homophobe in her defence. She has to show that Bob did not make that particular comment because Bob believes in a religion which teaches that (or, rather, that Bob interprets that way).

MORE INFO
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:24 pm No, I don’t think that’s what it means. Because in your example it’s not an allegation, the person is downright expressing that the other person should be KILLED over their sexual orientation. That’s hate speech. And if there’s a record of those words, that’s proof right there of hate speech. Legally speaking, there’s no proving thoughts and beliefs. You need evidence of actions, and if an action is consistent with the allegations, then that’s your proof. But you cannot make allegations based on assumptions and your own prejudices regarding another person’s beliefs.

I think it’s more along the lines that if a gay couple wants to have their wedding in a venue and they’re rejected and given a reason for that’s not linked to their sexual orientation, they cannot use the fact that the owners are conservative Christian as proof of an allegation that they’re really being discriminated against. That is an assumption one shouldn’t be entitled to make. If you think that the owners are lying and actually being discriminating, then you need more evidence than just their beliefs. And I’m sorry, but I think that’s fair. I’m a small time caterer, sometimes I have to say no based on the fact that I won’t have the time to do a particular request. If it happens to be a gay couple that I have to turn away, they could turn around and accuse me of discrimination just based on the fact that I’m an Orthodox Jew? How is that fair to my or my business reputation? If they don’t believe me, then they should find proof that the reason I gave them is a lie. I shouldn’t be labeled and possibly face legal repercussions just because of my beliefs.
Aletheia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:08 am Have a read of HB 991: Defamation, False Light, and Unauthorized Publication of Name or Likenesses
On page 6 it says:

MORE INFO
In the US, hate speech is not a crime.

Here is an example of hate speech:

The preachers sermon is not criminal but some of the responses could be deemed as defamation under Florida HB 991 and the preacher could be due a settlement.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

An act relating to defamation, false light, and
3 unauthorized publication of name or likenesses;
4 amending s. 90.5015, F.S.; providing that provisions
5 concerning journalist's privilege do not apply to
6 defamation claims when the defendant is a professional
7 journalist or media entity; amending s. 770.05, F.S.;
8 defining the term "defamation or privacy tort";
9 revising provisions concerning venue for certain
10 actions; amending s. 770.08, F.S.; revising provisions
11 limiting the choice of venue in specified actions;
12 creating s. 770.09, F.S.; exempting certain claims
13 from specified provisions concerning offers of
14 judgment and demands for judgment in civil actions;
15 providing for award of attorney fees and costs to
16 prevailing plaintiffs in such actions; creating s.
17 770.105, F.S.; specifying that certain persons may not
18 be considered public figures for purposes of certain
19 actions; creating s. 770.11, F.S.; specifying that a
20 fact finder may infer actual malice in certain
21 circumstances; providing that certain allegations are
22 defamatory per se; providing statutory damages to
23 prevailing plaintiffs who are the subject of such
24 allegations; creating s. 770.12, F.S.; creating a
25 presumption that a statement by an anonymous source is

Page 2 of 11
F L O R I D A H O U S E O F R E P R E S E N T A T I V E S
26 presumptively false for purposes of a defamation
27 action; providing requirements if a defendant in a
28 defamation action refuses to identify an anonymous
29 source; creating s. 770.13, F.S.; providing that a
30 public figure does not need to show actual malice to
31 prevail in a defamation action in certain
32 circumstances; creating s. 770.15, F.S.; providing
33 that a person who gives publicity to a matter
34 concerning a natural person that places that person
35 before the public in a false light may be liable for
36 damages in certain circumstances; amending s. 720.304,
37 F.S.; revising a provision on award of attorney fees
38 in certain actions by property owners; amending s.
39 768.295, F.S.; revising a provision on award of
40 attorney fees in strategic lawsuits against public
41 participation; providing for severability; providing
42 an effective date.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Locked Previous topicNext topic