Content creators are filling the gap on Black, LGBTQ history

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:27 pm I don't know...

As someone who has both teens, and teens with Tik toc,

It's not really somewhere to get knowledge from.

I actively teach them.that anything they see on there should be thought of as stupid.
Is or was your husband a flat bed truck driver?
No, why?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I actively teach them.that anything they see on there should be thought of as stupid.
Not everything is stupid. I follow on Instagram a chef with Down syndrome, The Sacramento museum, and others that give valid information in their fields. A plastic surgeon that discusses surgery and some doctors. I would tell my kids look at the credentials of the creator. Research their information. It may be stupid or meant to be humorous. But there is information I’ve found useful.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:58 am

Not everything is stupid. I follow on Instagram a chef with Down syndrome, The Sacramento museum, and others that give valid information in their fields. A plastic surgeon that discusses surgery and some doctors. I would tell my kids look at the credentials of the creator. Research their information. It may be stupid or meant to be humorous. But there is information I’ve found useful.
I would definitely say don’t take any medical advice off of Tic Toc.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Like anything, online or not, you have to make sure it is a trustworthy source. TikTok isn't exactly set up for verifying sources. The entire app is designed to keep you scrolling. They don't want you to stop, write anything down, or go to google to look up who you're listening to.

But in general, I have learned a lot from the web, TikTok included. I had to get rid of the app though because it is so addicting.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would not put the Tik Tok app on any device. Way to many unknowns about what information the app is gathering about you, your contacts, the sites you visit, etc. And from what I've seen reported way too much deliberately misleading or harmful posts.

Aside from that, it should not be up to teens to search for factual content on history and hope to find accurate information. It should be available through the public schools.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:20 am
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:58 am

I would definitely say don’t take any medical advice off of Tic Toc.
Again, depends on the source. If it’s a board certified plastic surgeon or cardiologist I’ll listen to him or her. At least I’ll take it into consideration. If its some trainer selling protein shakes and a diet no. I don’t think everyone on social media is sketchy. Now who are sometimes sketchy are the commenters. One can say the most innocuous thing and someone will come up with a conspiracy theory. Or take my chef with Down’s. He’s got simple cooking. Like he’s not Gordon Ramsey but I have tried some of his things. I find them good personally. But people will be outright ignorant and rude to him. Like bro don’t follow the guy if you don’t like him no one held a gun to your head. People just say anything because they can.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm I've noticed that and have followed some of the twitter creators. Also saw that a publishing company (can't remember the name) is offering books to families in Florida for free (1619 Project being one of them). My issue is that parents who wish their children to learn about African American history will and would have always sought out resources. Parents who would prefer their children not learn AA history will prevent their children from having access and frankly, these are the children who most need the access. I can't imagine a parent who objects to books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente (recently banned in Duval County) is going to seek out other resources. It's sad. Really, really sad.
What’s wrong with reading about Hank Aarons and Roberto Clemente? I mean what is their problem?
They had to overcome prejudices and that might make some white kids sad?
Once in school we had to pick someone to do a paper on. Someone we admired. So I picked MLK. I guess I felt sad about Jim Crow laws but they were before my time. I just admired him fighting them as I recall. I had a black friend who asked why I picked him. Like Jim Crow didn’t affect me I think she said. I said well why wouldn’t I? He did a good thing. And I don’t remember thinking about it pertaining to her and me. It happened in the past. But I understand it now. This was 1980 and her parents dealt with those laws. My parents were northerners so they didn’t. This and their prejudices affected our friendship in the end. I also did and said other things without thinking about race. Some good and some bad. But parents need to discuss these things with kids. What they see on TikTok. Not to dwell but to see where others are coming from. And move forward.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:51 pm I've noticed that and have followed some of the twitter creators. Also saw that a publishing company (can't remember the name) is offering books to families in Florida for free (1619 Project being one of them). My issue is that parents who wish their children to learn about African American history will and would have always sought out resources. Parents who would prefer their children not learn AA history will prevent their children from having access and frankly, these are the children who most need the access. I can't imagine a parent who objects to books about Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente (recently banned in Duval County) is going to seek out other resources. It's sad. Really, really sad.
What’s wrong with reading about Hank Aarons and Roberto Clemente? I mean what is their problem?
My husband is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to sports. I asked his if he’d heard of them both. He knew everything about them. Who they played for, what records they broke. Historically they are two of the most important players in the history of baseball.

The author of Clemente’s book said he can’t figure out why his book is on the list. It’s a 32 page book.

Some blurbs from the book -

“As a right-fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, (Clemente) fought tough opponents — and even tougher racism — but with his unreal catches and swift feet, he earned his nickname, ‘The Great One,’
He led the Pirates to two World Series, hit 3,000 hits and was the first Latino to be inducted into the Hall of Fame,”. “But it wasn’t just baseball that made Clemente legendary — he was also a humanitarian dedicated to improving the lives of others.”
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Once in school we had to pick someone to do a paper on. Someone we admired. So I picked MLK. I guess I felt sad about Jim Crow laws but they were before my time. I just admired him fighting them as I recall. I had a black friend who asked why I picked him. Like Jim Crow didn’t affect me I think she said. I said well why wouldn’t I? He did a good thing. And I don’t remember thinking about it pertaining to her and me. It happened in the past. But I understand it now. This was 1980 and her parents dealt with those laws. My parents were northerners so they didn’t. This and their prejudices affected our friendship in the end. I also did and said other things without thinking about race. Some good and some bad. But parents need to discuss these things with kids. What they see on TikTok. Not to dwell but to see where others are coming from. And move forward.
I find that odd that she would question your choice. MLK made this country a better place for Americans and is admired by most with the exception of white supremacists. In my school we all read about MLK and wrote about him. You weren’t trying to make it about you, you admired a good person who made a difference. That’s not an easy feat.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:25 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 am

Is or was your husband a flat bed truck driver?
No, why?
I recall two members from Arkansas. The one whose husband drove a semi and Frau Holle. Are you Frau or someone I don't recall?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic