Content creators are filling the gap on Black, LGBTQ history

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:32 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:25 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 am

Is or was your husband a flat bed truck driver?
No, why?
I recall two members from Arkansas. The one whose husband drove a semi and Frau Holle. Are you Frau or someone I don't recall?
Lindsey?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 am

Is or was your husband a flat bed truck driver?
No, why?
I recall two members from Arkansas. The one whose husband drove a semi and Frau Holle. Are you Frau or someone I don't recall?
Neither… I used to be ReadingRainbow.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:57 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm

They had to overcome prejudices and that might make some white kids sad?
Once in school we had to pick someone to do a paper on. Someone we admired. So I picked MLK. I guess I felt sad about Jim Crow laws but they were before my time. I just admired him fighting them as I recall. I had a black friend who asked why I picked him. Like Jim Crow didn’t affect me I think she said. I said well why wouldn’t I? He did a good thing. And I don’t remember thinking about it pertaining to her and me. It happened in the past. But I understand it now. This was 1980 and her parents dealt with those laws. My parents were northerners so they didn’t. This and their prejudices affected our friendship in the end. I also did and said other things without thinking about race. Some good and some bad. But parents need to discuss these things with kids. What they see on TikTok. Not to dwell but to see where others are coming from. And move forward.
I find that odd that she would question your choice. MLK made this country a better place for Americans and is admired by most with the exception of white supremacists. In my school we all read about MLK and wrote about him. You weren’t trying to make it about you, you admired a good person who made a difference. That’s not an easy feat.
I don't remember that I asked her further; we're talking forty-plus years ago and I was maybe in seventh or eighth grade. Also my town was southern, rural, and redneck at that time. I think my friend was surprised a white person would be interested because in her mind we weren't affected by segregration. I also think, although they treated me okay, that her parents were suspicious of me. Like she could never come to my house although my parents invited her. I always had to go to hers. they were probably old enough to remember segregation and maybe passed prejudices on to her. Not that my parents were free of them either, no one is. My grandmother was against interracial marriages. I also recall something that will seem very odd. She and I were discussing most and least favorite colors. I said I didn't like the color black. And this girl got upset. Thought I was judging the color of her skin. I said no...I'm judging the COLOR black, don't you see? I don't like black clothes or black paint not YOU. You're not even the shade I'm talking about. It was very awkward and nothing I ever heard from anyone else. Anyway, we had a falling out and for all I know I'm mistaken about her parents. Maybe they just didn't like me personally. But I think about this from time to time. How we should know history not to guilt anyone but to learn where we're coming from. And because I do believe if you don't learn it you're doomed to repeat it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:05 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:57 pm

Once in school we had to pick someone to do a paper on. Someone we admired. So I picked MLK. I guess I felt sad about Jim Crow laws but they were before my time. I just admired him fighting them as I recall. I had a black friend who asked why I picked him. Like Jim Crow didn’t affect me I think she said. I said well why wouldn’t I? He did a good thing. And I don’t remember thinking about it pertaining to her and me. It happened in the past. But I understand it now. This was 1980 and her parents dealt with those laws. My parents were northerners so they didn’t. This and their prejudices affected our friendship in the end. I also did and said other things without thinking about race. Some good and some bad. But parents need to discuss these things with kids. What they see on TikTok. Not to dwell but to see where others are coming from. And move forward.
I find that odd that she would question your choice. MLK made this country a better place for Americans and is admired by most with the exception of white supremacists. In my school we all read about MLK and wrote about him. You weren’t trying to make it about you, you admired a good person who made a difference. That’s not an easy feat.
I don't remember that I asked her further; we're talking forty-plus years ago and I was maybe in seventh or eighth grade. Also my town was southern, rural, and redneck at that time. I think my friend was surprised a white person would be interested because in her mind we weren't affected by segregration. I also think, although they treated me okay, that her parents were suspicious of me. Like she could never come to my house although my parents invited her. I always had to go to hers. they were probably old enough to remember segregation and maybe passed prejudices on to her. Not that my parents were free of them either, no one is. My grandmother was against interracial marriages. I also recall something that will seem very odd. She and I were discussing most and least favorite colors. I said I didn't like the color black. And this girl got upset. Thought I was judging the color of her skin. I said no...I'm judging the COLOR black, don't you see? I don't like black clothes or black paint not YOU. You're not even the shade I'm talking about. It was very awkward and nothing I ever heard from anyone else. Anyway, we had a falling out and for all I know I'm mistaken about her parents. Maybe they just didn't like me personally. But I think about this from time to time. How we should know history not to guilt anyone but to learn where we're coming from. And because I do believe if you don't learn it you're doomed to repeat it.
It’s tough to think back when you were a kid and you can’t really know if you’re remembering people’s reactions correctly or not.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:51 pm

No, why?
Oh my goodness, hey!
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:10 am

Oh my goodness, hey!
Hi! 😝
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

No, why?
Hey!! I remember your other screen name! 🙋
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:28 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:52 pm

What’s wrong with reading about Hank Aarons and Roberto Clemente? I mean what is their problem?
They had to overcome prejudices and that might make some white kids sad?
Oh FFS. If people can’t stand the idea of reporting on what racism did to people and how minority people survived it and thrived then that’s sad. These stories can be applied to anyone facing any type of adversity and succeeding despite the hate trying to block them. Hank Aaron’s story is remarkable. I don’t know who Roberto Clemente is. Maybe the first Latino coming from the islands.
100%. How absolutely ridiculous.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic