She is threatening to go after me for grandparent rights

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My ex mil wanted to come see the kids and the timing wasn't good for us so I declined. Now she is threatening to get a lawyer. She has no legal standing. My ex doesn't even have legal rights to the kids so she isn't even legally their grandparent anymore.

She just lost out on any chance she would have had. In 5 years this is the first time I have declined her wanting to see them. Now it will be every single time. You don't get to try and threaten me and everything be okay. She wanted custody not even just visitations. f**k her.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Just because their father has no rights doesn't mean she isn't legally their grandparent.

But you are right she has no leg to stand on since she's not an active part of their daily lives
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I started on MomConfessions ages ago when I was looking for advise on grandparent rights. I was in almost the same situation as you are except I was still married to my husband but he was out of the country for work.

I think it's pretty common for grandparents to threaten when they are feeling hurt and discarded but in actuality, grandparents who have not been caregivers don't really have any legal rights to see their grandchildren. IMO, realize that this is coming from a place of hurt and anger and if she has been a positive figure in your children's lives, you should let her rant, rave, and then cool off. Have a conversation with her after the cooling off period. You don't want to deny her visitation or deprive your kids of one of their grandparents simply because of an argument which escalated.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:35 am Just because their father has no rights doesn't mean she isn't legally their grandparent.

But you are right she has no leg to stand on since she's not an active part of their daily lives
She isn't legally their grandparent because my ex isn't legally their father anymore.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 am I started on MomConfessions ages ago when I was looking for advise on grandparent rights. I was in almost the same situation as you are except I was still married to my husband but he was out of the country for work.

I think it's pretty common for grandparents to threaten when they are feeling hurt and discarded but in actuality, grandparents who have not been caregivers don't really have any legal rights to see their grandchildren. IMO, realize that this is coming from a place of hurt and anger and if she has been a positive figure in your children's lives, you should let her rant, rave, and then cool off. Have a conversation with her after the cooling off period. You don't want to deny her visitation or deprive your kids of one of their grandparents simply because of an argument which escalated.
This is unforgivable in my eyes. The kids have never been close with her. They have 8 other grandparents that play an active role in their lives.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If someone threatened that to me they wouldn't see my kids either. Now in my mind they'd try to take my kids and run. Grandparents rights at flimsy are best and don't even exist in most states, even if she did have a legal claim to them.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Her problem for choosing to burn bridges 🤷🏼‍♀️
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:35 am Just because their father has no rights doesn't mean she isn't legally their grandparent.

She isn't legally their grandparent because my ex isn't legally their father anymore.
A lot of people don’t look upon it that way so I wouldn’t give her that argument. If you do it’s only going to cement her feeling that she needs grandparent rights. However you need not let her walk all over you either. She’s probably angry with her son who lost his paternal rights and looking for someone to yell at. I’d tell her this isn’t about him but about her relationship with the children. Which she isn’t helping at this moment. Maybe if she understands that custodial battles harm the children then she’ll relax and you two can be cordial. If she can’t be cordial that’s different.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

I would check what the laws are on "grandparents rights" where you live. They're not universal.

Is there more to her hostility toward you?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:34 am I would check what the laws are on "grandparents rights" where you live. They're not universal.

Is there more to her hostility toward you?
To be able to get grandparent rights you have to legally be their grandparent. We have not had any real issues before this. She is throwing a fit because she didn't get her way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic