AMC movie theaters to start charging more for the middle seats

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess I’m sticking to Regal then. They have reclining seats and the price is the same regardless of where one sits. It’s assigned but unless the theater is crowded I don’t worry a lot. The kids will find their actual seats though. But the last movie I saw was the One Piece anime. I don’t go to movies unless my friends go and usually they don’t.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 am The extra 1-2 bucks for a seat doesn’t bother me as much as the high prices for nasty food/watered down drinks.

I like how some bowling alleys have stepped their game up but movie theaters seem so complacent now.
We know someone that is a District Manager for a movie theatre company. The reason they charge so much for food and drinks is because they make nothing off the tickets. I believe Disney took 65% of box office sales for Star Wars, this is straight off the top, before the movie theatre pays overhead, taxes, and such. Plus they demanded the movie run for 4 weeks in a specific number of theatres without missing a single screening, or a penalty of 5% would be added.
I don’t mind paying for it, but the quality should match the price. When I go to the movies, I don’t feel like I got what I paid for.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:03 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 pm The f**k? It's the movies...you want a prime seat you show early before previews and claim that bitch. Wtf is this assigned seating bullshit. It's not going to work. Staff isn't paid enough to break up the petty bullshit fights that will break out over this and some people's sense of entitlement.
All our theaters including AMC has been select seating for years. when you order your tickets it shows which seats are and aren’t available. It is particularly helpful for those with mobility issues. It’s not that big of a deal.
It's a big deal when they are going to start charging more for specific seats when their business is dying. They should be trying to lure people in, not turning off more customers.
Our theaters don’t seem to be dying. In fact, a few different ones are opening new locations over the next 2 yrs. If people don’t want to pay a dollar more they can pick a different seat, if they want to save money they can pick cheaper seats. Really with the way so many of the theaters are, the seats that have often been considered the best seats aren’t any longer and the front and sides usually get sold out the fastest.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

We very rarely go to the movies anymore but when we do, we go to the theatre that has the big, comfy, reclining, heated massage seats. You get to pick your seats. It's expensive so it's always empty, lol.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So AMC wants to take a cue from the airlines - charging extra to pick your specific seat. But if you believe social media then the airlines doing it is causing a fight every other day over seating. No theater employee wants to get into the middle of that (not that flight attendants do either but...)

Our local theater charges $9.75 regular admission, $7.75 matinee, and they have the large reclining leather seats. We generally like to sit on the aisle anyway for a quick exit if needed. The middle isn't worth much to us.
LaurieD
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:26 pm The middle seats will be $1-2 more than what the regular price usually is
LaurieD wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:00 pm They will cost more or they will cost the same and the other seats will be cheaper? I feel like movies are already so expensive, we actually go to them but it seems like I see fewer people going to the theaters every year. It seems like an odd way to try to bring business back to a dying field.
That's a weird move to make.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:15 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 pm The f**k? It's the movies...you want a prime seat you show early before previews and claim that bitch. Wtf is this assigned seating bullshit. It's not going to work. Staff isn't paid enough to break up the petty bullshit fights that will break out over this and some people's sense of entitlement.
All our theaters including AMC has been select seating for years. when you order your tickets it shows which seats are and aren’t available. It is particularly helpful for those with mobility issues. It’s not that big of a deal.
It's a pain in the arse. I pick based on what I feel that day and based on the view of the screen and have to "Guess" with the selected seating. One night I went and selected a seat and then got in there and realized it sucked. Rather than just switching, I had to go out and wait in line to have it "formally" switched at the ticket counter. Moronic!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

You must live under a rock. I've lived in 5 states in the last 8 years and they have all had assigned seats. My youngest currently works at a movie theater, no one fights over the seats they have to select when they get tickets. This will work the same way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic