More young kids are being poisoned by pot that looks like candy, leading to seizures and comas

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

A 4-year-old Montgomery County girl began gasping for air one evening in early 2021, and seemed unusually drowsy though it was not yet bedtime. She was rushed more than 15 miles away to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where she was diagnosed with acute respiratory distress and fitted with a breathing mask.

The following year in New Jersey, state officials said a 3-year-old was taken to the emergency room after starting to act “strange.” Upon arrival, the child suffered a seizure.

Both children were part of a dangerous trend: they had eaten products that contained marijuana.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/edibles ... 30208.html
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can’t read the whole thing but you’d think by now people would know to, idk, maybe put their edibles out of reach. Or explain to kids that like wine this is for adults only. But I guess they don’t. 😞
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is simply a result of shitty parenting and putting edibles where children can reach and get ahold of them. Parents should be putting it in a high cabinet out of children's reach and use locks if the child has a tendency to climb
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:09 pm This is simply a result of shitty parenting and putting edibles where children can reach and get ahold of them. Parents should be putting it in a high cabinet out of children's reach and use locks if the child has a tendency to climb
I was thinking the same. It has always been pretty easy to keep stuff like this away from kids.

It’s not like weed in the house is a new trend.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Agreed with everyone else that this is mostly a failure to keep it out of reach. In addition to that though, I think it’s safest when the packaging is more plain and obvious about it being edible weed - I did a double take at some of these, where there’s pictures of cookies on them, and forget kids - I feel like they must result in some accidental adult ingestion too: https://mylarconnection.com/collections ... and-snacks
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Many people fell for the pro-marijuana arguments that tended to exaggerate the benefits and minimize the drawbacks.
I agree that it should be kept out of reach of children. But many people kept hearing how good marijuana was for pretty much every condition under the Sun (even if not fully tested) and how safe it is (even more than actually tested medications) that they got that idea. And then it became legalized, further proving these 2 points.
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:45 pm I can’t read the whole thing but you’d think by now people would know to, idk, maybe put their edibles out of reach. Or explain to kids that like wine this is for adults only. But I guess they don’t. 😞
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Many people fell for the pro-marijuana arguments that tended to exaggerate the benefits and minimize the drawbacks.
I agree that it should be kept out of reach of children. But many people kept hearing how good marijuana was for pretty much every condition under the Sun (even if not fully tested) and how safe it is (even more than actually tested medications) that they got that idea. And then it became legalized, further proving these 2 points.
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:45 pm I can’t read the whole thing but you’d think by now people would know to, idk, maybe put their edibles out of reach. Or explain to kids that like wine this is for adults only. But I guess they don’t. 😞
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

But that’s because it’s now well known that medications and other dangerous substances must be kept out of the reach children. Even says so in the packages.
But unfortunately, as with everything nowadays, apparently, the legalization of marijuana became politicized and so many facts were swept under the rug (from BOTH sides, BTW) in an attempt to “win” the battle. Many people who wanted to use marijuana either only focused on researching the alleged de edits and either ignored or didn’t believe the drawbacks. This is what happens when issues that shouldn’t be politicized are.
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:35 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:09 pm This is simply a result of shitty parenting and putting edibles where children can reach and get ahold of them. Parents should be putting it in a high cabinet out of children's reach and use locks if the child has a tendency to climb
I was thinking the same. It has always been pretty easy to keep stuff like this away from kids.

It’s not like weed in the house is a new trend.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's just like any other medication - if you have small kids in your house, KEEP IT OUT OF REACH OF THE KIDS.

My oldest son, when he was 2yo, ate one of my mom's anti-depressants that she had left out on her bedside table. She was caring for him at her house. It didn't even need to look like candy. To young ones, if it draws their curiosity they are going to put it in their mouth.

Do we blame the existence of anti-depressants or other medications? Do we blame the existence of marijuana edibles? Do we blame the existence of laundry detergent in the form of a convenient pod?

OR... do we blame the people who left medication and other harmful substances where young children could get ahold of it and eat it?

We are always going to have substances in our daily lives that are harmful to children. PEOPLE have to be responsible and keep it out of reach.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:58 pm Many people fell for the pro-marijuana arguments that tended to exaggerate the benefits and minimize the drawbacks.
The issue isn't the safety of marijuana, it's that a package of gummies could contain 10-20x the maximum safe dosage for a person if you ate the whole package and kids being kids if they find a whole package of gummies they're probably going to eat the whole package. I'm a cannabis advocate but I don't like edibles that look like candy. I use edibles and you can't really find any that don't look like something innocuous so we keep ours locked in a safe that the kids don't have access to. My kids are teens but I still don't trust that they wouldn't go into my bedside drawer, see what looks like a chocolate bar and break off a few pieces for themselves or see a bag of gummies and eat a few. Since I take 1/3 of a piece one of them taking even a whole piece would cause them to be really damn high and sick.

In Ontario edibles that are sold at the government stores are required to be sold in plain packaging and I think the gummies are sold in individual packages. It's a huge waste of packaging but it does keep kids a little safer when they have parents who leave things lying around.

There's a reason prescription medications are required to be put in child resistant packaging. The same should be legally required for marijuana. A kid finding a bottle of clonazepam and eating them (they're sweet and kind of look like candy) would have a much worse outcome than eating a package of gummies. . Ironically, I can tell you that marijuana is a hell of a lot safer than clonazepam but 10 years ago it was legal and it was illegal for a person to use marijuana derivatives to control anxiety and panic disorder.
Locked Previous topicNext topic