Liberal and conservative groups want books banned

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:56 am I haven't heard of any liberal groups wanting to ban books......remove them from a required reading list or high school curriculum and replace them with something updated, certainly, but not outright banning them and removing them from school libraries and grounds such as conservative groups are pushing. Conservative groups are going so far as to demand certain books aren't even allowed on school campus (even when the student brings the book from home).
I had to look because there are a lot of “both sides” arguments that try to shut it down.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:35 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:56 am I haven't heard of any liberal groups wanting to ban books......remove them from a required reading list or high school curriculum and replace them with something updated, certainly, but not outright banning them and removing them from school libraries and grounds such as conservative groups are pushing. Conservative groups are going so far as to demand certain books aren't even allowed on school campus (even when the student brings the book from home).
I had to look because there are a lot of “both sides” arguments that try to shut it down.
Did you find any? Liberal groups that want to completely remove some books and material from the school entirely, including the library for checkout (not just updating the curriculum)
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:35 pm
Did you find any? Liberal groups that want to completely remove some books and material from the school entirely, including the library for checkout (not just updating the curriculum)
No. Just some single complaints of random mothers.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

If we are taking die hard red states like Texas, there aren’t really a lot of liberal groups down here to really turn it into a competition or pissing match.

Also, banning books isn’t the only thing that has made change impossible and no one side takes all the blame.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:32 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:49 am
Lemons wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:42 pm

They shouldn’t be banned for being outdated but I think a lot of students would benefit a lot more with updated books, current issues and there are some incredibly gifted writers out there right now.

For students who don’t like to read all that much to begin with the old language and style just turns them off. My oldest daughter has a hard time with reading. I helped her with Moby Dick but shit, that’s a boring story. I know it has all these symbolism blah blah but it boring AF. Some students will pretend to love it because only really smart people get it but no.
I consider myself smart and I hated Moby Dick. Honestly my favorite character was the cannibal. I felt Melville was in dire need of a good editor. It’s a bad sign when you end up rooting for the whale. Didn’t like Bartleby the Scrivner either which I think is by the same author. That one I was like “huh?” And I’m not sure the audiences of the day cared for them either. I’m all for updated books though. And teachers shouldn’t look down on manga. A lot of them have very important themes.
Amazing that you remember all that. When people say these books aren’t banned they are banned from being used as teachers see fit.

I remember my son had the book Speak in the car when we went on a long visit to see relatives. So I read it. Simple language, current problems that we no longer hide, perfectly identifiable for teens Now in some states teachers can’t assign it to the class and discuss the book.
I remember because I read MD just recently. Bartleby I did read in school. My brother and I would tell each other “I prefer not to” when asked to do something. 😀
My son came out of school hating books but then found manga. And tbh idc long as he’s reading. In fact I started reading One Piece and Demon Slayer. I find the style difficult but they are still worth the effort.
Idk the book Speak but I’ll look at it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:49 am

I consider myself smart and I hated Moby Dick. Honestly my favorite character was the cannibal. I felt Melville was in dire need of a good editor. It’s a bad sign when you end up rooting for the whale. Didn’t like Bartleby the Scrivner either which I think is by the same author. That one I was like “huh?” And I’m not sure the audiences of the day cared for them either. I’m all for updated books though. And teachers shouldn’t look down on manga. A lot of them have very important themes.
Amazing that you remember all that. When people say these books aren’t banned they are banned from being used as teachers see fit.

I remember my son had the book Speak in the car when we went on a long visit to see relatives. So I read it. Simple language, current problems that we no longer hide, perfectly identifiable for teens Now in some states teachers can’t assign it to the class and discuss the book.
I remember because I read MD just recently. Bartleby I did read in school. My brother and I would tell each other “I prefer not to” when asked to do something. 😀
My son came out of school hating books but then found manga. And tbh idc long as he’s reading. In fact I started reading One Piece and Demon Slayer. I find the style difficult but they are still worth the effort.
My 5th grader loves Demon Slayer. She can use them in her independent reading. We went to a mall recently and there were at least five stores dedicated to Manga. Clothing , books , bottles toys. There’s also expensive collectible figurines that adults trade. It’s a whole new world in there
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:01 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm

My 5th grader loves Demon Slayer. She can use them in her independent reading. We went to a mall recently and there were at least five stores dedicated to Manga. Clothing , books , bottles toys. There’s also expensive collectible figurines that adults trade. It’s a whole new world in there
She can get a subscription to Shonen Jump. It’s an online manga platform. I’m not sure if they have Demon Slayer but there’s a lot of manga on there. I think it’s 2.99 a month now. Better than buying the books at 10 a pop. The only issue is some of the books like Chainsaw Man are very graphic. So you will have to watch what she reads.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:52 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am I think maybe we need to calm down and reread the definition of "book banning"? They're parents making decisions on curriculum or what's put in the school library. Parents should participate in their child's education.

They're not taking these books off the shelf of public libraries, making Amazon remove them, or trying to remove them from circulation altogether.

If there are books that a parent finds of particular value, the parents can always obtain these books and have the child read them at home. Parents are supposed to be involved in their children's education, right? You never took trips to the public library after school and checked out books other than what was assigned in school? I know I and my classmates did. Kids get together and meet up at the library all the time. Learning isn't restricted just to school hours.

Children aren't ONLY allowed to read books that the school assigns nor are they relegated to ONLY read what they find in the school library.

In the case of the family geared books for example, parents maybe want to orchestrate how and when their children start to learn about that material. I most certainly wouldn't want my 6 year old child to just pick up a book at school about Johnny having two mommies. That's something I want to know that they're reading first of all, and second I want to be the one to have that discussion with them and be able to answer questions about the material. If they're reading this in school, how do I know what that teacher's views are on homosexuality? I wouldn't want some kind of bias put in their heads at a young age by a stranger.

Again, the school isn't raising these kids. The parents are still supposed to parent, so having a hand in curating reading material isn't an outrageous thing. I can see where parents are coming from on this.
It seems as if a majority of these book bans are happening in rural communities where kids don't "get together and meet up at the library" but rather only have access to books through their school.

I would be surprised if a 6 year old had never had interaction with a "Johnny" but what does it say to Johnny with two mommies that a school removes any mention of his family structure but leaves books portraying heterosexual families?
Wouldn't Johnnie's two mommies have explained the family structure to him already if he's living in it? At least in the homosexual couples I'm aware of, those talks are had from a very young age.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:01 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:52 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am I think maybe we need to calm down and reread the definition of "book banning"? They're parents making decisions on curriculum or what's put in the school library. Parents should participate in their child's education.

They're not taking these books off the shelf of public libraries, making Amazon remove them, or trying to remove them from circulation altogether.

If there are books that a parent finds of particular value, the parents can always obtain these books and have the child read them at home. Parents are supposed to be involved in their children's education, right? You never took trips to the public library after school and checked out books other than what was assigned in school? I know I and my classmates did. Kids get together and meet up at the library all the time. Learning isn't restricted just to school hours.

Children aren't ONLY allowed to read books that the school assigns nor are they relegated to ONLY read what they find in the school library.

In the case of the family geared books for example, parents maybe want to orchestrate how and when their children start to learn about that material. I most certainly wouldn't want my 6 year old child to just pick up a book at school about Johnny having two mommies. That's something I want to know that they're reading first of all, and second I want to be the one to have that discussion with them and be able to answer questions about the material. If they're reading this in school, how do I know what that teacher's views are on homosexuality? I wouldn't want some kind of bias put in their heads at a young age by a stranger.

Again, the school isn't raising these kids. The parents are still supposed to parent, so having a hand in curating reading material isn't an outrageous thing. I can see where parents are coming from on this.
It seems as if a majority of these book bans are happening in rural communities where kids don't "get together and meet up at the library" but rather only have access to books through their school.

I would be surprised if a 6 year old had never had interaction with a "Johnny" but what does it say to Johnny with two mommies that a school removes any mention of his family structure but leaves books portraying heterosexual families?
Wouldn't Johnnie's two mommies have explained the family structure to him already if he's living in it? At least in the homosexual couples I'm aware of, those talks are had from a very young age.
Of course he would understand his family which is why he would see that mention of his type of family was omitted. Doesn't your six year old understand hers? Do you see any value at all in a book portraying both what's familiar and what's different or do you feel that the lesson should be omitted altogether and that there is no value in children learning about families outside of their own?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:03 pm If we are taking die hard red states like Texas, there aren’t really a lot of liberal groups down here to really turn it into a competition or pissing match.

Also, banning books isn’t the only thing that has made change impossible and no one side takes all the blame.
When I was in school and lived in VA there were conservative groups or parents who challenged a lot of books. When I lived in CA it was liberal groups and parents that who challenged books. Anything with derogatory language, racial slurs, stereotyping, negative portrayals, etc. To me, those classics people see as outdated aren’t outdated because we still have inequity, we still have systemic issues. Cancel culture isn’t going to contribute anything positive towards changes and is just another way of whitewashing. Classics along with modern is a good combination. That what my kids schools have done, even more so with my ydd.

You are correct banning books isn’t the only thing that has made change impossible. BUT I do feel, if kids aren’t taught to think for themselves it’ll just contribute to the slowing down of change. I’m not sure I can put this into words. I don’t teach my kids color blindness(not just when it comes to race). It’s always bothered me. To me it’s like saying the only way you can accept people is by being blind to parts of them and I feel if you are color blind, become blind to parts of them, you miss things that still exist, and it’s hard to have compassion and understanding to the damage done that people still carry. And I 100% agree no one side takes all the blame and keeping score which only matters in games…this isn’t a game, it’s our society’s present and future. Sorry mini rant over.
Locked Previous topicNext topic