School removed a quote from a Holocaust survivor, unintentionally proving his point

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:14 am
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:05 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 am

Alright… then let’s all stop being so pissed off at the Jan. 6th people…

They were just speaking up…. Right? Like how they’re taught?
That quote says nothing about using violence to get your point across or storming a capital to overthrow a government. It doesn’t even say anything about getting involved in a war you don’t believe in. I can’t believe we’ve got to have this conversation. As I said people can twist “love thy neighbor.” They can twist “do unto others as you’d have them to do unto you” To mean if you’re a sado-masochistic you can hurt people. That doesn’t mean the quotes don’t have value or shouldn’t be taught. Especially when the quote is about ensuring the Holocaust or even January 6 never happens again.
I do agree with others who said we need to teach critical thinking and the history of the people behind these quotes.
That quote is specifically about going to war, and fighting for the right way… not allowing oppressors to create victims…

That’s the exact sentiment that those Jan. 6th people carried with them…

Fast forward to today,
That quote is about fighting against Nazis. We’re on the Nazi’s side in this one so standing up to the American government that is adding fuel to the fires of war is something to some people means standing up against.

Schools don’t want that…

So yeah… there’s a huge issue in a lot of American minds of Needing people to speak up so that the government doesn’t overstep… but that’s not pretty when it happens. It’s often violent, necessarily so. And it’s not always the people who share your opinions that do it.

Schools don’t want kids acting out their parent’s anger here or creating scenes in school where kids are yelling at each other either.

All I’m saying… be careful what you wish for.

( and secondly, it might hit as a bit ingenious when you put up quotes about how bad Nazis were as we simultaneously send them weapons and cash behind the scenes)
I think we’re going to go round and round with this. I’m talking about speaking up for your conscience not about the Ukraine war or politics. I think the quote should be in schools and students can learn who this man was and why he said it as it relates to his particular situation. Which was the Holocaust. People being silent helped perpetuate the cruelty against the Jews and other people. if we worry about how something can be construed we might as well have Cat in the Hat in schools and nothing more. Or See Spot books. Instead teach critical thinking which is something these days people seriously lack.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thankfully the poster was only down for one day before being put back up but this is out of hand.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:33 am

That quote says nothing about using violence to get your point across or storming a capital to overthrow a government. It doesn’t even say anything about getting involved in a war you don’t believe in. I can’t believe we’ve got to have this conversation. As I said people can twist “love thy neighbor.” They can twist “do unto others as you’d have them to do unto you” To mean if you’re a sado-masochistic you can hurt people. That doesn’t mean the quotes don’t have value or shouldn’t be taught. Especially when the quote is about ensuring the Holocaust or even January 6 never happens again.
I do agree with others who said we need to teach critical thinking and the history of the people behind these quotes.
That quote is specifically about going to war, and fighting for the right way… not allowing oppressors to create victims…

Fast forward to today,
That quote is about fighting against Nazis. We’re on the Nazi’s side in this one so standing up to the American government that is adding fuel to the fires of war is something to some people means standing up against.

Schools don’t want that…

So yeah… there’s a huge issue in a lot of American minds of Needing people to speak up so that the government doesn’t overstep… but that’s not pretty when it happens. It’s often violent, necessarily so. And it’s not always the people who share your opinions that do it.

Schools don’t want kids acting out their parent’s anger here or creating scenes in school where kids are yelling at each other either.

( and secondly, it might hit as a bit ingenious when you put up quotes about how bad Nazis were as we simultaneously send them weapons and cash behind the scenes)
“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

The quote is about standing up to oppression and oppressors.

What "suffering and humiliation" did the protestors on Jan 6th endure? Were they humiliated because they lost a fair election?

As for january 6th it WAS Nazi's and Nazi sympathizers that committed treason against our government and tried to overturn the election. They are the tormentors and the oppressors.... So how do you reckon Americans are on the "Nazi's side" this time around...It's only the GOP that supports nazis and oppressing/tormenting others.

Are you seriously defending white supremacists?
No. “ fast forward to today” means what is going on today, not Jan 6th. As In the world war we’re about to jump into.

Jan 6th occurred because of its own reasoning, and from what I know not really anything at all to do with Nazis.

Two totally different circumstances, but both ones in which the gung-ho believers caused much more shit than they solved.

We might not want to fan either of their flames right now.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fast forward to today,

Schools don’t want that…

“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

What "suffering and humiliation" did the protestors on Jan 6th endure? Were they humiliated because they lost a fair election?

As for january 6th it WAS Nazi's and Nazi sympathizers that committed treason against our government and tried to overturn the election. They are the tormentors and the oppressors.... So how do you reckon Americans are on the "Nazi's side" this time around...It's only the GOP that supports nazis and oppressing/tormenting others.

I believe she’s referencing the Ukraine war in which some divisions have ties to Nazism. Idk enough to comment on that. I definitely don’t think the entire country is advocating return to a fascist government especially given a Jew is president. I personally don’t want to get sidetracked when this to me is about a quote said by a Holocaust survivor long before Putin was even around.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 am

Fast forward to today,

Schools don’t want that…

I think we’re going to go round and round with this. I’m talking about speaking up for your conscience not about the Ukraine war or politics. I think the quote should be in schools and students can learn who this man was and why he said it as it relates to his particular situation. Which was the Holocaust. People being silent helped perpetuate the cruelty against the Jews and other people. if we worry about how something can be construed we might as well have Cat in the Hat in schools and nothing more. Or See Spot books. Instead teach critical thinking which is something these days people seriously lack.
That is EXACTLY my point.

I’m sure that was the teacher’s intention too…

But that intention is not going to be the only effector.

Unintended consequences…
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:44 am

Fast forward to today,

Schools don’t want that…

No. “ fast forward to today” means what is going on today, not Jan 6th. As In the world war we’re about to jump into.

Jan 6th occurred because of its own reasoning, and from what I know not really anything at all to do with Nazis.

Two totally different circumstances, but both ones in which the gung-ho believers caused much more shit than they solved.

Fascists are not going to be stopped because some fool removed a quote from a school. But if people believe the Holocaust never happened they could go forward unchecked.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Fast forward to today,

Schools don’t want that…

OK, we're not talking Ukraine here and Russia has committed literal human rights violations and has just as many "Nazi's" in their ranks if not more than Ukraine....we aren't delving into that as it isn't the reason behind the Russia-Ukraine war, that was just the excuse dictator Putin gave to justify his invasion and starting the war.

Jan 6th occurred because an unhinged LOSER appealed to his base full of white supremacists and NAZIS and told them to " Go and be wild and "fight like hell".....so yeah. It had a LOT to do with Nazi's and the ideaology that nazis follow which the GOP is also following.

Thank you for confirming you are supporting and defending Right Wing Nazis and their conspiracy theories. I kind of already knew you did but it's nice to have solid confirmation.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:43 am Thankfully the poster was only down for one day before being put back up but this is out of hand.
To be honest I'm surprised it was even put up in the first place. Bucks County is one of the most RACIST counties in Pennsylvania with a LARGE population of KKK and other white supremacist movements that idolize neo- nazi ideologies.

https://www.phillyburbs.com/story/news/ ... 870313001/
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:52 am

OK, we're not talking Ukraine here and Russia has committed literal human rights violations and has just as many "Nazi's" in their ranks if not more than Ukraine....we aren't delving into that as it isn't the reason behind the Russia-Ukraine war, that was just the excuse dictator Putin gave to justify his invasion and starting the war.

Jan 6th occurred because an unhinged LOSER appealed to his base full of white supremacists and NAZIS and told them to " Go and be wild and "fight like hell".....so yeah. It had a LOT to do with Nazi's and the ideaology that nazis follow which the GOP is also following.

Thank you for confirming you are supporting and defending Right Wing Nazis and their conspiracy theories. I kind of already knew you did but it's nice to have solid confirmation.
Maybe tomorrow reread this and try to understand it better.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:51 am

Fascists are not going to be stopped because some fool removed a quote from a school. But if people believe the Holocaust never happened they could go forward unchecked.
They’re not going to be stopped… but we might as well not provoke them either.

The holocaust should absolutely be taught, but quotes without reference are often taken the wrong way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic