School removed a quote from a Holocaust survivor, unintentionally proving his point

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:02 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 pm

So be a pacifist if you believe the war is wrong. But the point of the saying is don’t be silent. Tell the government you think we shouldn’t send our sons and daughters to the Ukraine. My problem is you’re making it sound like this motto should not be put up at all. But it has to be. Otherwise governments and people will do things unopposed. People being silent is a big reason why we had a Holocaust. Separate but equal facilities. A cop kneeling on a man’s neck and a draft for an unpopular war. Pick a side and speak up! That’s what the motto means. I don’t see anything wrong with having it on school grounds.
Alright… then let’s all stop being so pissed off at the Jan. 6th people…

They were just speaking up…. Right? Like how they’re taught?
No, they weren’t. The thousands that were there peacefully protesting were. The ones who attacked the Capitol were not. They were, by our own constitution committing treason and many of them have recognized and acknowledged this.

No, I don’t think they do feel like they committed treason…

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.--That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. . . “

We have to be careful with words… not everyone is going to read them the same as you and many people will feel vindicated in the uprising because we have equipped them with the feelings of deserved power to do so.

Since this is a post on how a quote may be misconstrued… the op is an easy one to point out how it could be.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 am

No, they weren’t. The thousands that were there peacefully protesting were. The ones who attacked the Capitol were not. They were, by our own constitution committing treason and many of them have recognized and acknowledged this.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.--That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. . . “

We have to be careful with words… not everyone is going to read them the same as you and many people will feel vindicated in the uprising because we have equipped them with the feelings of deserved power to do so.

Since this is a post on how a quote may be misconstrued… the op is an easy one to point out how it could be.
You should read the Jan 6 committee report if you think none of them feel like they committed treason or participated in an insurrection. The Declaration of Independence was literally a declaration of why the revolutionist were at war and using it as a reason for justifying J6 infers they did think of it as levying a war which is treason under Article 3 of the US Constitution. Insurrection is defined clearly under the US Code. But really all that is besides the point. This post has nothing to do with misconstruing a quote. The district’s policy prohibits the advocacy of partisan, political, and social policy matters. The Holocaust was part of Hitler’s political and social policies. The quote was from Weisel’s 1986 Noble Peace Prize acceptance speak for his advocacy and work in Human Rights which again pertains to political and social policies. The policy may seem all well and good, BUT what this shows is not how a quote can be misconstrued but how a seemingly harmless policy isn’t necessarily harmless.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:18 am

You should read the Jan 6 committee report if you think none of them feel like they committed treason or participated in an insurrection. The Declaration of Independence was literally a declaration of why the revolutionist were at war and using it as a reason for justifying J6 infers they did think of it as levying a war which is treason under Article 3 of the US Constitution. Insurrection is defined clearly under the US Code. But really all that is besides the point. This post has nothing to do with misconstruing a quote. The district’s policy prohibits the advocacy of partisan, political, and social policy matters. The Holocaust was part of Hitler’s political and social policies. The quote was from Weisel’s 1986 Noble Peace Prize acceptance speak for his advocacy and work in Human Rights which again pertains to political and social policies. The policy may seem all well and good, BUT what this shows is not how a quote can be misconstrued but how a seemingly harmless policy isn’t necessarily harmless.
The things people say after they’re caught and seeking a plea deal aren’t necessarily their true views.

That quote might have been relevant when it was said, but if applied to many situations today it could cause a lot of problems. Back then we fought against Nazis, today we fight along side them… both times with fervent applause from the majority society.

Problems arise when people with a different viewpoint embrace the same words. It’s not a good idea to fill some people with burning advocacy, particularly when the US is so divided on issues that other countries have us civil wars over.

Leaving it out of the school hallways might not be the worst thing in the world.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:27 am

The things people say after they’re caught and seeking a plea deal aren’t necessarily their true views.

That quote might have been relevant when it was said, but if applied to many situations today it could cause a lot of problems. Back then we fought against Nazis, today we fight along side them… both times with fervent applause from the majority society.

Problems arise when people with a different viewpoint embrace the same words. It’s not a good idea to fill some people with burning advocacy, particularly when the US is so divided on issues that other countries have us civil wars over.

Leaving it out of the school hallways might not be the worst thing in the world.
That quote is as relevant now as it was then. This level of passiveness is something I can’t ever get behind. I am not ok with allowing fear of what others might do to create such passive neutrality that it contributes to people feeling like they are less than others.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm

That quote is as relevant now as it was then. This level of passiveness is something I can’t ever get behind. I am not ok with allowing fear of what others might do to create such passive neutrality that it contributes to people feeling like they are less than others.
I don’t think people should ever feel less than others,
Quite the opposite… I think people should see their equals everywhere they look, including on the political field.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:31 pm

Quite the opposite… I think people should see their equals everywhere they look, including on the political field.
I think we are just going to keep going round and round on this. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not interested in equal. I understand all people, in all my communities, are unique individuals. I am perfectly ok with seeing diversity everywhere I look, including on the political field.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:58 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:31 pm

I think we are just going to keep going round and round on this. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not interested in equal. I understand all people, in all my communities, are unique individuals. I am perfectly ok with seeing diversity everywhere I look, including on the political field.
Diversity is great… but it doesn’t outweigh or cancel out equality.

And to be honest… way too many people on the left feel like it does, and that they are more logical, better equipped and more capable of people on the right.

That’s a mistake. And one made time and time again based on race, color, education level, state they came from, political opinions…

Everyone is equally powerful, and every time we try to write over that, and tell people something different…civil unrest happens.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 am

All those pro war people trying to get us into Ukraine probably like that quote too…

Sometimes, it is better not to join in on a war.
So be a pacifist if you believe the war is wrong. But the point of the saying is don’t be silent. Tell the government you think we shouldn’t send our sons and daughters to the Ukraine. My problem is you’re making it sound like this motto should not be put up at all. But it has to be. Otherwise governments and people will do things unopposed. People being silent is a big reason why we had a Holocaust. Separate but equal facilities. A cop kneeling on a man’s neck and a draft for an unpopular war. Pick a side and speak up! That’s what the motto means. I don’t see anything wrong with having it on school grounds.

That quote says nothing about using violence to get your point across or storming a capital to overthrow a government. It doesn’t even say anything about getting involved in a war you don’t believe in. I can’t believe we’ve got to have this conversation. As I said people can twist “love thy neighbor.” They can twist “do unto others as you’d have them to do unto you” To mean if you’re a sado-masochistic you can hurt people. That doesn’t mean the quotes don’t have value or shouldn’t be taught. Especially when the quote is about ensuring the Holocaust or even January 6 never happens again.
I do agree with others who said we need to teach critical thinking and the history of the people behind these quotes.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:05 am

That quote says nothing about using violence to get your point across or storming a capital to overthrow a government. It doesn’t even say anything about getting involved in a war you don’t believe in. I can’t believe we’ve got to have this conversation. As I said people can twist “love thy neighbor.” They can twist “do unto others as you’d have them to do unto you” To mean if you’re a sado-masochistic you can hurt people. That doesn’t mean the quotes don’t have value or shouldn’t be taught. Especially when the quote is about ensuring the Holocaust or even January 6 never happens again.
I do agree with others who said we need to teach critical thinking and the history of the people behind these quotes.
That quote is specifically about going to war, and fighting for the right way… not allowing oppressors to create victims…

That’s the exact sentiment that those Jan. 6th people carried with them…

Fast forward to today,
That quote is about fighting against Nazis. We’re on the Nazi’s side in this one so standing up to the American government that is adding fuel to the fires of war is something to some people means standing up against.

Schools don’t want that…

So yeah… there’s a huge issue in a lot of American minds of Needing people to speak up so that the government doesn’t overstep… but that’s not pretty when it happens. It’s often violent, necessarily so. And it’s not always the people who share your opinions that do it.

Schools don’t want kids acting out their parent’s anger here or creating scenes in school where kids are yelling at each other either.

All I’m saying… be careful what you wish for.

( and secondly, it might hit as a bit ingenious when you put up quotes about how bad Nazis were as we simultaneously send them weapons and cash behind the scenes)
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:14 am
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:05 am

That quote is specifically about going to war, and fighting for the right way… not allowing oppressors to create victims…

That’s the exact sentiment that those Jan. 6th people carried with them…

Fast forward to today,
That quote is about fighting against Nazis. We’re on the Nazi’s side in this one so standing up to the American government that is adding fuel to the fires of war is something to some people means standing up against.

Schools don’t want that…

So yeah… there’s a huge issue in a lot of American minds of Needing people to speak up so that the government doesn’t overstep… but that’s not pretty when it happens. It’s often violent, necessarily so. And it’s not always the people who share your opinions that do it.

Schools don’t want kids acting out their parent’s anger here or creating scenes in school where kids are yelling at each other either.

All I’m saying… be careful what you wish for.

( and secondly, it might hit as a bit ingenious when you put up quotes about how bad Nazis were as we simultaneously send them weapons and cash behind the scenes)
“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

The quote is about standing up to oppression and oppressors.

What "suffering and humiliation" did the protestors on Jan 6th endure? Were they humiliated because they lost a fair election?

As for january 6th it WAS Nazi's and Nazi sympathizers that committed treason against our government and tried to overturn the election. They are the tormentors and the oppressors.... So how do you reckon Americans are on the "Nazi's side" this time around...It's only the GOP that supports nazis and oppressing/tormenting others.

Are you seriously defending white supremacists?
Locked Previous topicNext topic