School removed a quote from a Holocaust survivor, unintentionally proving his point

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm So…who would like to start placing bets on when the US education system is very poorly ranked and the youngest adult generation are dumbasses who can’t think for themselves? It’s really getting ridiculous in how many ways we, general, show that we, general, care more about a fetus than children.
There’s going to be a division of dumbasses and informed students depending on what idiot is in charge of their state or school.
We are already at that point. The thing is neither side is going to be innocent in this. Every time we choose to take books out of schools because they make people uncomfortable whether it’s Huckleberry Finn or Heather Has Two Mommies we contribute to the problem. Whether we whitewash history to avoid CRT or whitewash it because we don’t want kids to “feel bad about their race” we contribute to the problem. Every time we compromise and remove the Big Bang theory from education because we don’t want other ideologies like creationism taught, we contribute to the problem. IF we remove everything that might potentially offend someone or make someone uncomfortable…what’ll be left? Math? Thats just turning into a mindless task. Common sense is learned. Common knowledge is learned. Logic and reasoning are all learned and we have been slowly moving away from teaching it. People asked why Santos wasn’t vetted? Ask how he got elected? Because voters didn’t bother to research who they were voting for. Because neither side bothered to research the person they were supporting or opposing. Why has there been an issue over disinformation? Because we’re becoming a spoon feed tell me what to think, tell me what to believe society. 99% of the time anymore the people pointing fingers calling people sheep are also, in fact sheep. All this “for the sake of the children” yet teachers are underpaid and under supported. “For the sake of the children” yet opposing CRT, whitewashing history, fearing books like Heather has two mommies, removing classics by calling them outdated and tone deaf, isn’t about the children. IF you trust that what you believe is right, IF you believe your parenting is right, then you shouldn’t be scared of your child being given all information to come to the same conclusion. AND if you don’t want others to tell you how to raise your kids or what is or isn’t appropriate for your kids DO NOT tell others how to raise their kids or what’s appropriate for them. I hope you know all the yous up to this sentence are general. IF a school librarian, a school principal are afraid of the consequences of a quote of empowerment, a quote that says don’t turn a blind eye, from a Holocaust survivor, a Noble laureate, a Presidential medal of Freedom recipient, a Congressional medal recipient, and not only Holocaust survivor but a Buchenwald AND Auschwitz’s survivor gods help us all.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:24 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm So…who would like to start placing bets on when the US education system is very poorly ranked and the youngest adult generation are dumbasses who can’t think for themselves? It’s really getting ridiculous in how many ways we, general, show that we, general, care more about a fetus than children.
There’s going to be a division of dumbasses and informed students depending on what idiot is in charge of their state or school.
We are already at that point. The thing is neither side is going to be innocent in this. Every time we choose to take books out of schools because they make people uncomfortable whether it’s Huckleberry Finn or Heather Has Two Mommies we contribute to the problem. Whether we whitewash history to avoid CRT or whitewash it because we don’t want kids to “feel bad about their race” we contribute to the problem. Every time we compromise and remove the Big Bang theory from education because we don’t want other ideologies like creationism taught, we contribute to the problem. IF we remove everything that might potentially offend someone or make someone uncomfortable…what’ll be left? Math? Thats just turning into a mindless task. Common sense is learned. Common knowledge is learned. Logic and reasoning are all learned and we have been slowly moving away from teaching it. People asked why Santos wasn’t vetted? Ask how he got elected? Because voters didn’t bother to research who they were voting for. Because neither side bothered to research the person they were supporting or opposing. Why has there been an issue over disinformation? Because we’re becoming a spoon feed tell me what to think, tell me what to believe society. 99% of the time anymore the people pointing fingers calling people sheep are also, in fact sheep. All this “for the sake of the children” yet teachers are underpaid and under supported. “For the sake of the children” yet opposing CRT, whitewashing history, fearing books like Heather has two mommies, removing classics by calling them outdated and tone deaf, isn’t about the children. IF you trust that what you believe is right, IF you believe your parenting is right, then you shouldn’t be scared of your child being given all information to come to the same conclusion. AND if you don’t want others to tell you how to raise your kids or what is or isn’t appropriate for your kids DO NOT tell others how to raise their kids or what’s appropriate for them. I hope you know all the yous up to this sentence are general. IF a school librarian, a school principal are afraid of the consequences of a quote of empowerment, a quote that says don’t turn a blind eye, from a Holocaust survivor, a Noble laureate, a Presidential medal of Freedom recipient, a Congressional medal recipient, and not only Holocaust survivor but a Buchenwald AND Auschwitz’s survivor gods help us all.
AMEN!
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:05 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:17 pm

What did the principal think the above quote advocated?
All those Jan. 6th people probably like that quote…
So do I. Yes someone can twist that quote. Someone can twist “love thy neighbor” to mean have S*x with anyone you want lol. I’ve heard people say that as a joke. But the quote is true. If you see someone being bullied for being whatever and you say nothing you’re helping the bully. So if the proud boys twist that quote so be it. The answer is to call them out on it. They’re the oppressors and here’s why. The proud boys were violent against peaceful people. They hurt the innocent for no reason. Others will hear you and some will agree. Don’t be Switzerland and stay neutral because you don’t want to get involved. I’m speaking general you here.
All those pro war people trying to get us into Ukraine probably like that quote too…

Sometimes, it is better not to join in on a war.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

There is nothing wrong with the quote if you also teach critical thinking and the context in which the quote was written. It's a total face palm moment for this to happen in a place of education.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 am

So do I. Yes someone can twist that quote. Someone can twist “love thy neighbor” to mean have S*x with anyone you want lol. I’ve heard people say that as a joke. But the quote is true. If you see someone being bullied for being whatever and you say nothing you’re helping the bully. So if the proud boys twist that quote so be it. The answer is to call them out on it. They’re the oppressors and here’s why. The proud boys were violent against peaceful people. They hurt the innocent for no reason. Others will hear you and some will agree. Don’t be Switzerland and stay neutral because you don’t want to get involved. I’m speaking general you here.
All those pro war people trying to get us into Ukraine probably like that quote too…

J6 Participants, US war with Russia over Ukraine...what's your next talking point?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:53 pm

J6 Participants, US war with Russia over Ukraine...what's your next talking point?
What? Do you actually have a comment here or are you just complaining about what topic I’m discussing with someone else…
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So be a pacifist if you believe the war is wrong. But the point of the saying is don’t be silent. Tell the government you think we shouldn’t send our sons and daughters to the Ukraine. My problem is you’re making it sound like this motto should not be put up at all. But it has to be. Otherwise governments and people will do things unopposed. People being silent is a big reason why we had a Holocaust. Separate but equal facilities. A cop kneeling on a man’s neck and a draft for an unpopular war. Pick a side and speak up! That’s what the motto means. I don’t see anything wrong with having it on school grounds.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:24 am
We are already at that point. The thing is neither side is going to be innocent in this. Every time we choose to take books out of schools because they make people uncomfortable whether it’s Huckleberry Finn or Heather Has Two Mommies we contribute to the problem. Whether we whitewash history to avoid CRT or whitewash it because we don’t want kids to “feel bad about their race” we contribute to the problem. Every time we compromise and remove the Big Bang theory from education because we don’t want other ideologies like creationism taught, we contribute to the problem. IF we remove everything supported. “For the sake of the children” yet opposing CRT, whitewashing history, fearing books like Heather has two mommies, removing classics by calling them outdated and tone deaf, isn’t about the children.
Does everyone know when their children’s schools start to teach slavery and Jim Crow laws? I remember my son reading Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry in the 4th grade. It was based on the Author’s experience in growing up in Mississippi and going to segregated schools and the only students that got busses were the White schools.

I think documentaries are extremely impactful. I recently watched The Last Days , a 20 year old documentary which showed Hitler and his army killing and torturing Jews in Hungary until the very last day before surrender. They spoke to five Hungarian citizens who survived the Holocaust in Auschwitz even though most of their families didn’t. The visuals are hard to watch and I wouldn’t show it to under 17 years old but it was one of the more devastating documentaries that you can never unsee.

But until states get together and teach history accurately the states will remain unequal in their teaching and it will only get worse.

Holocaust awareness.

“NEW YORK, NEW YORK: September 16, 2020 – Gideon Taylor, President of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany (Claims Conference), today announced the release of the U.S. Millennial Holocaust Knowledge and Awareness Survey, the first-ever 50-state survey on Holocaust knowledge among Millennials and Gen Z.”

The states with the highest Holocaust Knowledge Scores are: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Maine, Kansas, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Iowa, and Montana.

The states with the lowest Holocaust Knowledge Scores are: Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

Arkansas has since mandated the teaching of the Holocaust.

https://www.claimscon.org/millennial-study/

What do students learn about slavery? It depends where they live.

There are no nationally agreed upon standards of teaching our country’s history on slavery.

“ In their official standards for teaching social studies and history, some states explicitly call for teaching about aspects of slavery throughout a student’s K-12 education, while others refer to it in passing or not at all.”

Each state has their own official standards for teaching social studies in K-12.
Massachusetts mentions slavery 104 times in its standards for teaching history. Louisiana mentions slavery 4 times. Idaho does 2 times. Some teachers will teach more extensively than their state requires understanding the importance.

“ While some states and school districts have made strides in addressing the dearth of knowledge about slavery and placing a greater emphasis on studying it, the approach has been inconsistent and haphazard. There are few textbooks or lesson plans that adequately address its scope and impact. And, for now at least, there remains a societal lack of understanding about how dramatically and unrelentingly slavery has shaped almost every aspect of America’s history — and its present.”.

This is where the 1619 Project could come in. The country has made great progress but still has a way to go. If the ones that object to the book and the ones that wholly support the book meet in the middle somewhere it can work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... they-live/
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 pm

So be a pacifist if you believe the war is wrong. But the point of the saying is don’t be silent. Tell the government you think we shouldn’t send our sons and daughters to the Ukraine. My problem is you’re making it sound like this motto should not be put up at all. But it has to be. Otherwise governments and people will do things unopposed. People being silent is a big reason why we had a Holocaust. Separate but equal facilities. A cop kneeling on a man’s neck and a draft for an unpopular war. Pick a side and speak up! That’s what the motto means. I don’t see anything wrong with having it on school grounds.
Alright… then let’s all stop being so pissed off at the Jan. 6th people…

They were just speaking up…. Right? Like how they’re taught?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 pm

Alright… then let’s all stop being so pissed off at the Jan. 6th people…

They were just speaking up…. Right? Like how they’re taught?
No, they weren’t. The thousands that were there peacefully protesting were. The ones who attacked the Capitol were not. They were, by our own constitution committing treason and many of them have recognized and acknowledged this.
Locked Previous topicNext topic