School removed a quote from a Holocaust survivor, unintentionally proving his point

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"A school principal in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia, asked the librarian to remove a poster featuring a quote by Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel because it violated the district’s “advocacy” policy. This story was first reported by WHYY.

The poster was removed two days before International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

“If I didn’t take it down, I knew there would be consequences that could impact me,” Matt Pecic, the school librarian said. “It’s a horrible feeling. And you feel like you have to do something that you don’t agree with.”

The controversial policy says that district employees may not “advocate” to students on “partisan, political, or social policy matters,” or display any “flag, banner, poster, sign, sticker, pin, button, insignia, paraphernalia, photograph, or other similar material that advocates concerning any partisan, political, or social policy issue.”

https://www.upworthy.com/school-removes-holocaust-quote
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”.
What did the principal think the above quote advocated?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Seems like a major headsmack moment.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So…who would like to start placing bets on when the US education system is very poorly ranked and the youngest adult generation are dumbasses who can’t think for themselves? It’s really getting ridiculous in how many ways we, general, show that we, general, care more about a fetus than children.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 pm So…who would like to start placing bets on when the US education system is very poorly ranked and the youngest adult generation are dumbasses who can’t think for themselves? It’s really getting ridiculous in how many ways we, general, show that we, general, care more about a fetus than children.
There’s going to be a division of dumbasses and informed students depending on what idiot is in charge of their state or school.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's regarding a well documented, historical event. WTF is wrong with people? So I guess we're politicizing the Holocaust now is what this guy was thinking? You mean we don't ALL agree that it was horrific?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:54 am It's regarding a well documented, historical event. WTF is wrong with people? So I guess we're politicizing the Holocaust now is what this guy was thinking? You mean we don't ALL agree that it was horrific?
Hitler was an elected official and the events of the Holocaust were part of his social policy. If we only apply the county’s policy to the US, it’s been silently politicized for a while. Elected officials or hopefuls attending rallies that are held by white supremacist groups and when members of groups like Proud Boys participate in an insurrection at the Capitol, it silently politicizes the Holocaust. There are people who don’t think it was horrific and there are holocaust deniers. While often misattributed to Edmund Burke, including by JFK, the quote “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,” isn’t dissimilar. This quote is actually more likely to be a paraphrase of “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” by John Stuart Mill. Elie Wiesel was a Holocaust survivor but that quote could just as well be attributed to some of our own horrible social policies.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:17 pm
“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”.
All those Jan. 6th people probably like that quote…
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There was backlash and the poster was put back up. As I recall the quote was about neutrality and how being neutral in the face of hatred spread it. I think we all need to realize our children have brains in their heads. Yes they can be indoctrinated if it’s a constant 24/7 hour thing by all the adults around them. But a damn poster in a school isn’t going to do it. Exposing them to a lesson on historical religion or African studies isn’t going to do it. If you disagree with what your child is being taught discuss it with them or homeschool. Otherwise stop with this thinking that they’re like a computer absorbing information without thought. It doesn’t work like that or my kids would be practicing Catholics for duck sakes.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:42 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:17 pm
All those Jan. 6th people probably like that quote…
So do I. Yes someone can twist that quote. Someone can twist “love thy neighbor” to mean have S*x with anyone you want lol. I’ve heard people say that as a joke. But the quote is true. If you see someone being bullied for being whatever and you say nothing you’re helping the bully. So if the proud boys twist that quote so be it. The answer is to call them out on it. They’re the oppressors and here’s why. The proud boys were violent against peaceful people. They hurt the innocent for no reason. Others will hear you and some will agree. Don’t be Switzerland and stay neutral because you don’t want to get involved. I’m speaking general you here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic