First Baptist Church members must now sign sexuality oath opposing LGBTQ freedoms

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Calling the "sexual revolution" a "threat to our church," First Baptist Church in Jacksonville will now require congregants to sign a statement affirming their opposition to LGBTQ+ freedoms if they want to remain members.

In a video message posted on the church website, Senior Pastor Heath Lambert said members will be required to sign a document affirming that people are "either male or female and that this creation is a fixed matter of human biology, not individual choice." They must also affirm that "marriage...is between one man and one woman, and is the only context for sexual desire and expression."

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/ ... 18a5daf383
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Ok..:and? Religious entities have long made their own rules for their congregants…and the baptists have long been k own to be extreme…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 am Ok..:and? Religious entities have long made their own rules for their congregants…and the baptists have long been k own to be extreme…
It's a hugely political move in NE FL at this time. Even the Catholic church hasn't required a signed contract that I'm aware of either.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Separation of church and state ring a bell?

Catholics don’t have to sign a contract in the physical sense but are expected to follow the doctrine in “good faith”. Prior to the Popes declaration that homosexuality isn’t a sin it was taught…so I’m not sure why you are surprised…

It’s Florida—Florida, like Texas runs on their own set of rules—

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 am
Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 am Ok..:and? Religious entities have long made their own rules for their congregants…and the baptists have long been k own to be extreme…
It's a hugely political move in NE FL at this time. Even the Catholic church hasn't required a signed contract that I'm aware of either.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"It's right that every member agree to such a statement before they join us to receive our care." oof
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:26 am "It's right that every member agree to such a statement before they join us to receive our care." oof
That’s my biggest sticking point. It’s putting terms and conditions on love and care which imo is not what Jesus did so neither should we. Definitely not a church I’d be interested in.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Not my church, not my problem.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The wonderful thing about the First Amendment is that no one is required or forced to be a member of that church’s congregation. Do I agree with what the pastor is doing, absolutely not, which is why I’d never support the church beyond acknowledging their rights.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Well yes, but most don't make their congregants sign a contract stating they will abide by the "rules"
It was always more of a "take it or leave it but you know where the door is" unspoken arrangement.

Forcing congregants to "Sign a contract" well besides being a sure sign of blasphemy I'm pretty sure it's bordering on legal/political coercion and may very well open the church up to lawsuits.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:54 am
Well yes, but most don't make their congregants sign a contract stating they will abide by the "rules"
It was always more of a "take it or leave it but you know where the door is" unspoken arrangement.

Forcing congregants to "Sign a contract" well besides being a sure sign of blasphemy I'm pretty sure it's bordering on legal/political coercion and may very well open the church up to lawsuits.
Plenty of churches do these kinds of contracts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic