'Nobody wants a felony for just trying to teach': Duval teachers call school book law 'vague'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

A friend/ex coworker of mine cleared out her classroom library under the advice of admin/union rep. She’s really upset about it. She was just told it’s best to take all her books away instead of going book by book.
Just read from the textbook instead.

It’s very hard to get some middle schoolers to *want* to read, and they wanted to read the books in her classroom library. 😕
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:43 pm A friend/ex coworker of mine cleared out her classroom library under the advice of admin/union rep. She’s really upset about it. She was just told it’s best to take all her books away instead of going book by book.

It’s very hard to get some middle schoolers to *want* to read, and they wanted to read the books in her classroom library. 😕
Heartbreaking to read this. And the kids who will suffer the most are those who may not have any books in their own homes. Some families can't afford to buy books, or don't have the time to take their kids to the public library. Some parent's are not literate themselves. Public school should be a place that allows students to broaden their knowledge of the world and go beyond any limitations they face at home. This does the opposite.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:09 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:43 pm A friend/ex coworker of mine cleared out her classroom library under the advice of admin/union rep. She’s really upset about it. She was just told it’s best to take all her books away instead of going book by book.

Heartbreaking to read this. And the kids who will suffer the most are those who may not have any books in their own homes. Some families can't afford to buy books, or don't have the time to take their kids to the public library. Some parent's are not literate themselves. Public school should be a place that allows students to broaden their knowledge of the world and go beyond any limitations they face at home. This does the opposite.
It really is. It’s heartbreaking for teachers to have to make this decision. My friend had over 200 books in her classroom library that had been donated or bought over the last 5 years.
I worked at that school with her and a lot of the students do not have the resources to get books outside of school for various reasons (some which you listed)

All of this political bill crap will do is harm students.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Trying to figure out how Barack and Michelle Obama’s’ memoirs are offensive. Both books have been banned.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SwellDame wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:26 pm The terminology used transfers human attributes/emotions to animals.
While she was sleeping, the owners of the cottage came back. They were three bears: Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear. They’d been for a walk in the woods before breakfast and now they were hungry.

“Hello, what’s this?” growled Daddy Bear, in his great big voice. “It looks as though someone’s been messing with my porridge and whoever it is has left muddy footprints on my chair.”
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 am
SwellDame wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:26 pm The terminology used transfers human attributes/emotions to animals.
While she was sleeping, the owners of the cottage came back. They were three bears: Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear. They’d been for a walk in the woods before breakfast and now they were hungry.

“Hello, what’s this?” growled Daddy Bear, in his great big voice. “It looks as though someone’s been messing with my porridge and whoever it is has left muddy footprints on my chair.”
Note the attempt to teach gender/sexuality norms.

"Any law that would result in banning Goldilocks and the Three Bears from school classrooms is a stupid law."
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What a 1950s Texas Textbook Can Teach Us About Today's Textbook Fight

https://www.kut.org/education/2016-11-1 ... book-fight

NOTE: Article is from 2016
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
LaurieD
Peasant
Peasant

Unread post

I'm so scared for the kids in that state who are going to grow up feeling like their sexual orientation is a crime.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/ ... 5b05cbb873

My favorite book store is coming through.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They need to keep their libraries in outright defiance. Tell school admins and DeSatan to suck their balls.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic