In some states, an unpaid foster care bill could mean parents lose their kids forever

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 makes a good point, though. If the parents can’t afford this fee, how are they expected to pay for a child’s basic needs? I find it hard to believe the fee is higher than the cost of raising a child.
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:52 pm
Carpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Kids get taken in to foster care every day but they goal is to reunite them with parents. If parents have done all the necessary work to get their kids back (supervised visits, substance abuse treatment, parenting classes, etc), then they should have the chance to be parents again. Unpaid bills over debt they did not even expect to accrue is not a reason to revoke parental rights.
I worked that system for10 years. That is why it's the bigger question to me.
I work for it now. Unexpected bills would cripple 50% of the population in general. I don't think it's a reason to terminate rights if they can otherwise meet basic needs and have corrected the problem that sent the kids away in the first place.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 pm Traci_Momof2 makes a good point, though. If the parents can’t afford this fee, how are they expected to pay for a child’s basic needs? I find it hard to believe the fee is higher than the cost of raising a child.

I work for it now. Unexpected bills would cripple 50% of the population in general. I don't think it's a reason to terminate rights if they can otherwise meet basic needs and have corrected the problem that sent the kids away in the first place.
$19,530 was the bill one of the parents in the story received. Presumably, you would have to pay that in addition to paying for your child's current basic needs. I couldn't do it.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I didn’t see any cases for that amount. I saw $17,000 for 3 years for 2 boys. That’s about $240 a month per child.
It seems to me that one big issue is that apparently parents aren’t being told of these bills.
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:41 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 pm Traci_Momof2 makes a good point, though. If the parents can’t afford this fee, how are they expected to pay for a child’s basic needs? I find it hard to believe the fee is higher than the cost of raising a child.

$19,530 was the bill one of the parents in the story received. Presumably, you would have to pay that in addition to paying for your child's current basic needs. I couldn't do it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

50% of Americans don't have enough in savings to survive a blown tire or a medical emergency. Doesn't mean they aren't able to meet basic needs. Just means they are paycheck to paycheck. A few years ago a surprise bill of thousands would have sunk me. I was still able to provide for my kids. It was just tight.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is this a child support payment the parents are required to make to the state?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Kids get taken in to foster care every day but they goal is to reunite them with parents. If parents have done all the necessary work to get their kids back (supervised visits, substance abuse treatment, parenting classes, etc), then they should have the chance to be parents again. Unpaid bills over debt they did not even expect to accrue is not a reason to revoke parental rights.
And how many times have you seen children returned and taken again?
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:44 am

Never because of an unpaid, surprise bill. Debt is not a reason to terminate parental rights.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:15 am

Never because of an unpaid, surprise bill. Debt is not a reason to terminate parental rights.
I find that hard to believe. But I didn't ask you about it being due to debt.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Parents whose children were taken for neglect or finances should be able to get their kids back with assistance. Physical abuse on the other hand doesn’t just go away.

There was a case in Michigan where a child was in foster care for about 7 years. The foster couple wanted to adopt him because returning him failed before. The Judge returned the child to the parents because she wasn’t going to be the first Judge to give a Native American child to a White couple. The child was dead within weeks of horrific torture and abuse.

I don’t think parents owing money is a red flag.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Parents whose children were taken for neglect or finances should be able to get their kids back with assistance. Physical abuse on the other hand doesn’t just go away.

There was a case in Michigan where a child was in foster care for about 7 years. The foster couple wanted to adopt him because returning him failed before. The Judge returned the child to the parents because she wasn’t going to be the first Judge to give a Native American child to a White couple. The child was dead within weeks of horrific torture and abuse.

I don’t think parents owing money is a red flag.
It happens a lot and I know of that case. That's why my top priority is why the child was removed. CPS generally doesn't send those kids back. Judges do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic