DeSantis Blocks AP African-American Studies Course for Breaking Florida’s Anti-CRT Law

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:03 pm
Francee89 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:54 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am

Alright… well… have people that don’t grasp it teach it.
I guess we’ll see how that works out.
I mean, there will always be outliers who are just bad at their jobs, but perhaps I generally just have more faith in a teacher’s ability to read intro-level college course material and grasp it well enough to teach it than you do.
At the end this is just coming down to me thinking an entire class should be devoted to the subject if teachers are going to be teaching it and you think giving them reading material is enough to create competent teachers…

I still think it should be a class. ^^^shrugs^^^
I’d imagine the point of the course being a pilot/trial would be to get feedback from teachers and students about what there was too much of, not enough of, which readings/materials were good and which fell flat, etc. If teachers or students felt that topics weren’t being presented properly because of wording or any other issues, nothing would be set in stone yet.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 am
Lemons wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:51 pm The long civil rights movement should be 8 weeks on its own.

Eyes on the Prize should be mandatory in high schools. Reading a book isn’t enough. To watch the recordings of realize in the 60s you can feel the hate burning through your TV. The twisted rage filled faces when Black children entered schools previously segregated.
I truly think some people are afraid about the uncomfortable conversations that may happen when the youth of today learn about that visceral hate of the 60s/70s and then see footage of people in their own lives (grandparents, great uncles/aunts, the old man from church or the neighborhood etc) engaging in that behavior.
It’s too bad because those images stay with you. Not like words where students sometimes tune out.

But hey, Desantis has signed a law that schools need to recognize in November 7 and are required to teach the horrors of communism. His way of ensuring the Cuban vote.

DeSantis wrote

“Honoring the people that have fallen victim to communist regimes and teaching our students about those atrocities is the best way to ensure that history does not repeat itself,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Through HB 395 and the funding announced today, we are guaranteeing that the history of those who fled communist regimes and their experiences are preserved and not forgotten by our students. While it’s fashionable in some circles to whitewash the history of communism, Florida will stand for truth and remain as a beachhead for freedom.”

Unbelievable. And what about the discomfort of Russian-Americans?

https://www.flgov.com/2022/05/09/govern ... dom-tower/
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:20 am
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:19 am

Both.

A lot of people aren't going to differentiate what the word power means when it comes to white power and black power. They singularly take the word to mean superior therefore wouldn't teach that any good came of a group attempt to be superior.

I know that's not what it means... But its going to take a huge educational push for a lot of adults to learn about before they'll know how to teach it.
It sounds like you are making a case for teaching Black Studies in public education. If the public at large does not understand what the phrase "Black Power" means in a historical context, then they would benefit from this curriculum.
I think it needs to be a class that is needed to get teaching credentials.
Someone has to know how to teach it before they can teach it.
I think history teachers presenting curriculum for AP level courses are already well trained in their teaching area. Just as they can teach WWII history, ancient Greek History, Revolutionary War history, French Revolution history, etc.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:14 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:20 am
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am

It sounds like you are making a case for teaching Black Studies in public education. If the public at large does not understand what the phrase "Black Power" means in a historical context, then they would benefit from this curriculum.
I think it needs to be a class that is needed to get teaching credentials.
Someone has to know how to teach it before they can teach it.
I think history teachers presenting curriculum for AP level courses are already well trained in their teaching area. Just as they can teach WWII history, ancient Greek History, Revolutionary War history, French Revolution history, etc.
None of those above actually matter when it comes to true day to day life in America...Black history and the knowledge behind it, coupled with its effective functionality in our society does.

I just can't find a reason why it wouldn't deserve its own class...
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

1003.42 Required instruction.—

(2) Members of the instructional staff of the public schools, subject to the rules of the State Board of Education and the district school board, shall teach efficiently and faithfully, using the books and materials required that meet the highest standards for professionalism and historical accuracy, following the prescribed courses of study, and employing approved methods of instruction, the following:

(h) The history of African Americans, including the history of African peoples before the political conflicts that led to the development of slavery, the passage to America, the enslavement experience, abolition, and the history and contributions of Americans of the African diaspora to society. Students shall develop an understanding of the ramifications of prejudice, racism, and stereotyping on individual freedoms, and examine what it means to be a responsible and respectful person, for the purpose of encouraging tolerance of diversity in a pluralistic society and for nurturing and protecting democratic values and institutions. Instruction shall include the roles and contributions of individuals from all walks of life and their endeavors to learn and thrive throughout history as artists, scientists, educators, businesspeople, influential thinkers, members of the faith community, and political and governmental leaders and the courageous steps they took to fulfill the promise of democracy and unite the nation. Instructional materials shall include the vital contributions of African Americans to build and strengthen American society and celebrate the inspirational stories of African Americans who prospered, even in the most difficult circumstances. Instructional personnel may facilitate discussions and use curricula to address, in an age-appropriate manner, how the individual freedoms of persons have been infringed by slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination, as well as topics relating to the enactment and enforcement of laws resulting in racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination and how recognition of these freedoms has overturned these unjust laws. However, classroom instruction and curriculum may not be used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view inconsistent with the principles enumerated in subsection (3) or the state academic standards. The department shall prepare and offer standards and curriculum for the instruction required by this paragraph and may seek input from the Commissioner of Education’s African American History Task Force.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind ... 03.42.html
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think crt contributes to division. We can never see equality if we teach inequality which is the sum of what CRT does.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There is a word I'm searching for. Can't quite put my finger on it. Starts with an H.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm I think crt contributes to division. We can never see equality if we teach inequality which is the sum of what CRT does.
How would you define CRT?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy: this country was built on inequality. That’s why we’re divided. Once all people decide to talk about it, and with Civil Rights fights and struggles, we can start to see more equality.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm I think crt contributes to division. We can never see equality if we teach inequality which is the sum of what CRT does.
https://news.temple.edu/news/2021-08-05 ... ace-theory
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic