DeSantis Blocks AP African-American Studies Course for Breaking Florida’s Anti-CRT Law

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm I think crt contributes to division. We can never see equality if we teach inequality which is the sum of what CRT does.
We will never see equality if we don't address the systemic roots of inequality, which are a result of racism, which is ACTUALLY what CRT does.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm I think crt contributes to division. We can never see equality if we teach inequality which is the sum of what CRT does.
How does CRT teach inequality?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:07 pm
Because it focuses on teaching equity.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:01 pm
This is a subject I'm still learning.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critic ... ace-theory
306/232

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:15 pm

What I have read in simple terms is equality gives everyone the same opportunity but not necessarily the same outcome while equity gives people different opportunities as needed so everyone has the same outcome.

Equality means everyone has the same fair opportunity, equity means everyone has the same fair outcome but their opportunities are different.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:52 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:15 pm

What I have read in simple terms is equality gives everyone the same opportunity but not necessarily the same outcome while equity gives people different opportunities as needed so everyone has the same outcome.

Equality means everyone has the same fair opportunity, equity means everyone has the same fair outcome but their opportunities are different.
I’ll make this super simple to understand. IEPs are equity, providing books in braille to the blind and interpreters to the deaf is equitable. If I give every student in a school a laptop, do you think that means all students have fair opportunity? Or are you assuming it gives fair opportunity? If the students live in an internet desert they do not have the same fair opportunities. Equity is about fair opportunities because the needs to utilize to access those opportunities are different.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ve only read to page 50 but it looks pretty interesting. Nothing objectionable to me so far but hey, I don’t have an issue with equity in education, unwhitewashed history, or giving diverse representation in education. I’m not scared.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:16 pm
I’ve only read to page 50 but it looks pretty interesting. Nothing objectionable to me so far but hey, I don’t have an issue with equity in education, unwhitewashed history, or giving diverse representation in education. I’m not scared.
I’ve watched the first two episodes with the author discussing her book with historians and people who were there re civil rights protests.

What is in her book that isn’t already taught? She starts with the first few slaves in 1619. She talks about how slaves literally built this country with their labor. A lot of famous buildings from that time were built by slaves. The White House, the Capital, other government buildings. Railroads, roads, they were prominent in civilizing this country.

She discusses how women slaves were routinely raped by their owners and the children were then sold for large profits. The slaves wanted children were also now the property of the evil owner and he could do what he wanted with him.

Isn’t this taught already?
Locked Previous topicNext topic