DeSantis Blocks AP African-American Studies Course for Breaking Florida’s Anti-CRT Law

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:19 am
Francee89 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:28 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 am

Off the top of my head... White people are going to have issues teaching about "Black Power".
How so? Issues as in an inability or issues as in a personal problem/unwillingness doing so?
Both.

A lot of people aren't going to differentiate what the word power means when it comes to white power and black power. They singularly take the word to mean superior therefore wouldn't teach that any good came of a group attempt to be superior.

I know that's not what it means... But its going to take a huge educational push for a lot of adults to learn about before they'll know how to teach it.
It sounds like you are making a case for teaching Black Studies in public education. If the public at large does not understand what the phrase "Black Power" means in a historical context, then they would benefit from this curriculum.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 am

Off the top of my head... White people are going to have issues teaching about "Black Power".
How so? Issues as in an inability or issues as in a personal problem/unwillingness doing so?
Both.

A lot of people aren't going to differentiate what the word power means when it comes to white power and black power. They singularly take the word to mean superior therefore wouldn't teach that any good came of a group attempt to be superior.

I know that's not what it means... But its going to take a huge educational push for a lot of adults to learn about before they'll know how to teach it.
They wouldn’t be expected to believe or suggest that “any good came of a group attempt to be superior” in order to teach any of this. The Black Power movement was a part of history that influenced society and politics, and they simply need to teach that fact.m, with the support of readings, visuals aids, etc. Just like a teacher who doesn’t identify as a modern day feminist can and should be expected to teach about first wave feminism and women’s suffrage in another history class.

post images
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am

Both.

It sounds like you are making a case for teaching Black Studies in public education. If the public at large does not understand what the phrase "Black Power" means in a historical context, then they would benefit from this curriculum.
I think it needs to be a class that is needed to get teaching credentials.
Someone has to know how to teach it before they can teach it.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 am

Both.

They wouldn’t be expected to believe or suggest that “any good came of a group attempt to be superior” in order to teach any of this. The Black Power movement was a part of history that influenced society and politics, and they simply need to teach that fact.m, with the support of readings, visuals aids, etc. Just like a teacher who doesn’t identify as a modern day feminist can and should be expected to teach about first wave feminism and women’s suffrage in another history class.

post images
I don’t think it would be a good idea to have someone who doesn’t understand the movement and misinterpreted it to be teaching about Black Panthers…

I mean, what happens if they google “Black Panthers” , get this link https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ther-party Coming up and then don’t have any basis to know the difference between this group and the original Black Panthers of the 60’s?

Are they going to even be able to teach the kind of compassionate understanding of the material to their students without a base knowledge themselves ?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 am

Both.

post images
I don’t think it would be a good idea to have someone who doesn’t understand the movement and misinterpreted it to be teaching about Black Panthers…

I mean, what happens if they google “Black Panthers” , get this link https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ther-party Coming up and then don’t have any basis to know the difference between this group and the original Black Panthers of the 60’s?

Are they going to even be able to teach the kind of compassionate understanding of the material to their students without a base knowledge themselves ?
Teachers are not expected to be educated on all parts of a curriculum which is why their curriculum materials are much more extensive (including how to teach some elements of class) and include other resources.

The College Board doesn't require AP teachers to have additional training but it is recommended and some states do require additional workshops. In addition, the College Board offers specific lesson plans and videos which are available to teachers and students as well as complete online AP classes. While this particular AP class is still in the development phase, it seems that once rolled out, it would have the resources available to students and teachers that other AP classes have.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:38 am

post images

Teachers are not expected to be educated on all parts of a curriculum which is why their curriculum materials are much more extensive (including how to teach some elements of class) and include other resources.

The College Board doesn't require AP teachers to have additional training but it is recommended and some states do require additional workshops. In addition, the College Board offers specific lesson plans and videos which are available to teachers and students as well as complete online AP classes. While this particular AP class is still in the development phase, it seems that once rolled out, it would have the resources available to students and teachers that other AP classes have.
This is a subject that should be taught by teachers who are fully educated on the curriculum. Its not like a class that breezes over the Ming Dynasty...Having information available to read isn't the same as making sure the educators are competent to teach the material if they hold a bias against the material.

Its a matter of overcoming misunderstandings that are rooted in racial issues, it can't be taught by those who misunderstand to begin with.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Both.

post images

The course doesn’t require the teachers to cobble together the definition of the terminology by googling the topics and teach it without the curriculum and supporting materials being provided. Even if that was somehow ever the case, literally the second sentence of that SPLC article makes it clear “left wing members of the original Black Panther Party of the 1960s and 1970s have rejected the new Panthers as a “black racist hate group” and contested their hijacking of the Panther name and symbol”.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:56 am

post images

The course doesn’t require the teachers to cobble together the definition of the terminology by googling the topics and teach it without the curriculum and supporting materials being provided. Even if that was somehow ever the case, literally the second sentence of that SPLC article makes it clear “left wing members of the original Black Panther Party of the 1960s and 1970s have rejected the new Panthers as a “black racist hate group” and contested their hijacking of the Panther name and symbol”.

Alright… well… have people that don’t grasp it teach it.
I guess we’ll see how that works out.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am

I mean, there will always be outliers who are just bad at their jobs, but perhaps I generally just have more faith in a teacher’s ability to read intro-level college course material and grasp it well enough to teach it than you do.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:54 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:24 am

I mean, there will always be outliers who are just bad at their jobs, but perhaps I generally just have more faith in a teacher’s ability to read intro-level college course material and grasp it well enough to teach it than you do.
At the end this is just coming down to me thinking an entire class should be devoted to the subject if teachers are going to be teaching it and you think giving them reading material is enough to create competent teachers…

I still think it should be a class. ^^^shrugs^^^
Locked Previous topicNext topic