Conroe brewery pulls out as venue for Kyle Rittenhouse rally against censorship

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do know what you mean and I agree. Had the brewery owner cited religious beliefs, would it have been an issue? After all, business owners can discriminate against gay couples by citing some Christian belief. What if the venue was looking to hold an LGTB+ event and the business owner cited that such ideology/philosophy/discourse is against their beliefs? I would bet the owners would get a MAL invite in 2 seconds flat. T Carlson would be ranting on and on about anti woke shit, etc.

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am I think a big part of the problem is we can't agree on what "discrimination" means. Maybe operationalize that definition so we are all on the same page. Part of my job requires meeting my members in person; there have been a couple of times when I refused due to "bad vibes". Am I discriminating? Yes, based on instinct, maybe even prejudice. Is it "discrimination"? I'd say no. Individual discrimination is perfectly legal and done every day, based on a judgement call. Some classes of people are protected because of historical prejudice against an entire class (women in general not being able to vote, gay people not being able to be employed, black people not being allowed in certain areas). That was what had to be corrected by law. If this bar had discriminated against KR because he was a man, that is wrong. They can choose to "discriminate" against him personally, as an individual, because they don't like him, that is perfectly allowed. Unless we are suggesting that every place needs to host every person for any reason.

This is a ramble, my mind is not on this any longer, lol.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am I think a big part of the problem is we can't agree on what "discrimination" means. Maybe operationalize that definition so we are all on the same page. Part of my job requires meeting my members in person; there have been a couple of times when I refused due to "bad vibes". Am I discriminating? Yes, based on instinct, maybe even prejudice. Is it "discrimination"? I'd say no. Individual discrimination is perfectly legal and done every day, based on a judgement call. Some classes of people are protected because of historical prejudice against an entire class (women in general not being able to vote, gay people not being able to be employed, black people not being allowed in certain areas). That was what had to be corrected by law. If this bar had discriminated against KR because he was a man, that is wrong. They can choose to "discriminate" against him personally, as an individual, because they don't like him, that is perfectly allowed. Unless we are suggesting that every place needs to host every person for any reason.

Yes. We can discriminate on one person or a group for their behavior. I don’t want to host the KKK because they’re a hate group. Same with Nazi groups. If someone comes in and harassed my coworkers I don’t want their business. Heck if they give us a hard time we don’t want them. Yes that might open the door to someone not wanting to bake a cake for a gay wedding. But perhaps the answer to that is let natural consequences happen, I.e boycotts of that business by anyone who is okay with gay marriage. However businesses can’t discriminate based on the S*x, ethnicity, race or religion of that person. I can refuse to do business with Kyle because I think he’s an ass but not because he’s Caucasian. If that’s discrimination so be it. Businesses do and should have right to choose their clients. Hospitals and government agencies are different.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I'm not familiar with Southern Star but I know Conroe well and, well, I'm surprised.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:53 am No… not in other words… the situation you brought up where someone is yelling and screaming didn’t happen.

This is about renting a facility that everyone else is allowed to rent.

The situation you brought up is why people felt valid discrimination against most other groups that have been discriminated against… because they might bring trouble.

That’s a reason why Black people were discriminated against, Muslims were discriminated against, gays were discriminated against, hell it’s even why people who were thought to possibly have communist beliefs were discriminated against…
mcginnisc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:40 am

So, in other words, when someone is being belligerent in a store and acting the fool, a business will no longer be allowed to ask them to leave.. Why? Because they are going to scream that they are a protected class and can't be discriminated against. Either a business has the ability to decide not to be associated with people like Rittenhouse, or they don't. According to you, he is being discriminated against and that is a no-no. He is not being discriminated against. Conroe's owner decided he didn't want to host this craziness at his place of business. It is his right as a business owner. If businesses are not allowed to make those decisions, that is infringing on them and their rights. Kyle Rittenhouse has every right to go in and get a beer when the little twit is 21 years of age. Nobody is stopping him. He just can't hold a rally there.
It's the same thing as the restaurant a few months ago that was protecting their staff by not allowing people to have a party there. They are loud mouths and the owner said no because the staff was uncomfortable. You were fine with that because the servers were LGBTQIA+, but now...you are not okay with RIttenhouse being turned away. Either it is okay or its not. It doesn't matter if the owner of the first place was doing it to protect his servers ( I applaud him for it!), he did the same exact thing as the brewery owner. He said no. Was that discrimination too in your book because they are anti-LGBTQIA+ and were told no they couldn't eat there? Rittenhouse is also a loud mouth little twit and was told no. So, now he is whining all over the place because a brewery said no thanks to having his rally there. Both establishments had the right to say no. You can't pick one over the other as they did the same exact thing. ( although the restaurant owner was shady and should have said no much sooner than an hour before hand).
If OJ Simpson had wanted to rent out a restaurant for a book launch party when If I Did It came out, and a restaurant said “thanks, but no thanks, we don’t want to be associated with this weird low key celebration of domestic violence and getting away with murder”, is that the same in your mind as them saying “no, we don’t want you here because you’re Black”?
Didn't Fox cancel OJ's "If I Did It" tv show and book tour after public outcry?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:39 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:53 am No… not in other words… the situation you brought up where someone is yelling and screaming didn’t happen.

This is about renting a facility that everyone else is allowed to rent.

The situation you brought up is why people felt valid discrimination against most other groups that have been discriminated against… because they might bring trouble.

That’s a reason why Black people were discriminated against, Muslims were discriminated against, gays were discriminated against, hell it’s even why people who were thought to possibly have communist beliefs were discriminated against…
If OJ Simpson had wanted to rent out a restaurant for a book launch party when If I Did It came out, and a restaurant said “thanks, but no thanks, we don’t want to be associated with this weird low key celebration of domestic violence and getting away with murder”, is that the same in your mind as them saying “no, we don’t want you here because you’re Black”?
FOX Broadcasting doesn’t invite “the public” to host television shows for them.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:14 pm

FOX agreed to a book deal and televised series but when faced with backlash regarding such, they backed out.

Southern Star brewery agreed to host an event for the publishing company Defiance Press but when the headliner speaker was announced (Rittenhouse) they received backlash and backed out.

Our local festival booked Celo Green but when receiving backlash, they cancelled.

Our local brewery books events but no weddings, political events, or witches, lol. If I book an event there and they discover that my headliner is a witch, they will cancel.

None of the above, IMO, are examples of descrimation.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 pm

FOX agreed to a book deal and televised series but when faced with backlash regarding such, they backed out.

Southern Star brewery agreed to host an event for the publishing company Defiance Press but when the headliner speaker was announced (Rittenhouse) they received backlash and backed out.

Our local festival booked Celo Green but when receiving backlash, they cancelled.

Our local brewery books events but no weddings, political events, or witches, lol. If I book an event there and they discover that my headliner is a witch, they will cancel.

Ok.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:33 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 pm

Ok.
back at you
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:26 pm I'm not familiar with Southern Star but I know Conroe well and, well, I'm surprised.
I don’t know much about that area. Is it conservative?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

That should be a huge, because it is most definitely discrimination.
cgd5112 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:30 am I do know what you mean and I agree. Had the brewery owner cited religious beliefs, would it have been an issue? After all, business owners can discriminate against gay couples by citing some Christian belief. What if the venue was looking to hold an LGTB+ event and the business owner cited that such ideology/philosophy/discourse is against their beliefs? I would bet the owners would get a MAL invite in 2 seconds flat. T Carlson would be ranting on and on about anti woke shit, etc.

Locked Previous topicNext topic