Conroe brewery pulls out as venue for Kyle Rittenhouse rally against censorship

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What does that have to do with THIS situation? Absolutely nothing.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:34 am Have you ever heard of the House Committee on Un-American Activities?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:31 am I don’t think you know what “discrimination” means anymore. Discrimination means an unfair and prejudicial treatment against a group based on some characteristics. it doesn’t mean we all have to turn a blind eye to views and ideas we disagree with and be forced to cater to those idea because otherwise it’s “discrimination”.
By your logic, if an anti-Israel, BDS group hires me to cater an event, I shouldn’t have a right to refuse because it’ll be “discrimination”. What exactly would I be “discriminating” against? A political view? A personal opinion? Actions that I believe are unfounded and based on ignorance? And why should I be forced to associate my name and my business with an event that I’m completely against? Now, if a member or members of such a group wish to hire me to cater a wedding, a birthday, anniversary or whatever other event not associated with those ideas, I couldn’t refuse on the basis of what they believe.
You got so tangled in defending this kid that you’re redefining what discrimination is or suggesting what it should be that could result in a snowball effect.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:51 am

Then I guess we’ll mark you down as a “yes” vote when it comes to embracing discrimination.

If you don’t learn from history, we’re bound to repeat it…Bring on the House Committee on Un-American Activities…we haven’t had to deal with this type of discrimination for a while, I guess we need a refresher course…
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s a completely different issues. That was the GOVERNMENT persecuting people for their political beliefs. That wasn’t a PRIVATE BUSINESS having the right to deny catering to an event promoting political ideas they disagree with.
Completely different thing.
And you haven’t answered the question: WHo exactly is being discriminated here? What GROUP is being discriminated against?
Just face it. You cried “discrimination” out of a visceral reaction without giving it much thought because you disagreed with it. Now that everyone is pointing out how this isn’t discrimination you’re looking for arguments to support your original statement and TBH, they’re getting increasingly ridiculous. Just accept facts and reality. This wasn’t discrimination.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:10 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:48 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:46 am

It has nothing to do with the Biden administration…
Then where is this question coming from?
She was talking about political affiliation not being a protected class and I brought up a time in our history when political affiliation discrimination was celebrated…however looking back, most historians agree on those times being detrimental to the values of a nation based on freedom .
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:40 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:30 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:36 pm

This also has to do with my children because being gay and nonbinary is not a protected class therefore discrimination is fully legal against them and I have to explain to them why that is...

Its an actual conversation I had to have last week with them.

I get it... Its about " behavior" disapproval, not hate...Love the person hate the behavior and all that...but its also about allowing discrimination.

Either we are against discrimination or we approve of it with pride...
Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which doesn’t allow employment discrimination based on race, religion, national origin and S*x.

The court had to decide whether that last prohibition — discrimination “because of S*x” — applies to many millions of gay and transgender workers.

The decision to include gays and transgender in the protective class was decided in 2021. Gorsuch wrote. It is impossible, to discriminate against a person for being homosexual or transgender without discriminating against that individual based on S*x.” It took long enough.

And why would you think it was ok to discriminate against Muslims 20 years ago. People could not be discriminated against based on their religion and that was decided like 55 years ago.
Why do I think it happened? Because it happened.
People were merciless against Muslims after 9/11, we were discussing which clothes of theirs to make illegal, people were being kicked out of stores and restaurants for what they were wearing…

And yes, discrimination against gays, transsexuals and non-binary is Fully legal if the business owner feels their religious rights are being trampled on by being forced to serve them.
True Muslims were treated like everyone of them were terrorists. Muslims are a protected class though and they were able to file a discrimination claim.

And then you have two protected classes, religious and gay rights clashing. Who wins that one?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:18 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:40 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:30 am

Under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which doesn’t allow employment discrimination based on race, religion, national origin and S*x.

The court had to decide whether that last prohibition — discrimination “because of S*x” — applies to many millions of gay and transgender workers.

The decision to include gays and transgender in the protective class was decided in 2021. Gorsuch wrote. It is impossible, to discriminate against a person for being homosexual or transgender without discriminating against that individual based on S*x.” It took long enough.

And why would you think it was ok to discriminate against Muslims 20 years ago. People could not be discriminated against based on their religion and that was decided like 55 years ago.
Why do I think it happened? Because it happened.
People were merciless against Muslims after 9/11, we were discussing which clothes of theirs to make illegal, people were being kicked out of stores and restaurants for what they were wearing…

And yes, discrimination against gays, transsexuals and non-binary is Fully legal if the business owner feels their religious rights are being trampled on by being forced to serve them.
True Muslims were treated like everyone of them were terrorists. Muslims are a protected class though and they were able to file a discrimination claim.

And then you have two protected classes, religious and gay rights clashing. Who wins that one?
If we sanction discrimination? Religious people win.
If we don't sanction discrimination, Gay people win.

There's never been a case of discrimination when the person didn't have his reasons for acting that way... Its sinful, they're scary, they're going to start trouble, they're diseased... Every instance for every reason of discrimination had one... As a nation we decided those reasons weren't good enough to discrimination against someone legally.

Will the trend continue or go backwards? Only time will tell...
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

That was also a time when private businesses were discriminating for the same reason, and why the Hollywood blacklists damaged so many peoples lives... Due to political discrimination... Which is also the issue here.

I will fully agree that I have a different opinion on this than you, and that's ok. Standing alone in a conversation about my beliefs doesn't mean I'm going to change them though...
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:56 pm It’s a completely different issues. That was the GOVERNMENT persecuting people for their political beliefs. That wasn’t a PRIVATE BUSINESS having the right to deny catering to an event promoting political ideas they disagree with.
Completely different thing.
And you haven’t answered the question: WHo exactly is being discriminated here? What GROUP is being discriminated against?
Just face it. You cried “discrimination” out of a visceral reaction without giving it much thought because you disagreed with it. Now that everyone is pointing out how this isn’t discrimination you’re looking for arguments to support your original statement and TBH, they’re getting increasingly ridiculous. Just accept facts and reality. This wasn’t discrimination.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:10 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:48 am

Then where is this question coming from?
She was talking about political affiliation not being a protected class and I brought up a time in our history when political affiliation discrimination was celebrated…however looking back, most historians agree on those times being detrimental to the values of a nation based on freedom .
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I think everyone needs to realize why discrimination occurs…

“Because I hate them”

There’s no other reason….

You can either embrace that as a valid and legal reason to discriminate against someone, or acknowledge that it isn’t.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:22 am I think everyone needs to realize why discrimination occurs…

“Because I hate them”

You can either embrace that as a valid and legal reason to discriminate against someone, or acknowledge that it isn’t.
That’s incorrect. Discrimination occurs through prejudices. Prejudice doesn’t always include hate, it is pre-judging someone. Do you honestly believe that people who are deaf are discriminated against because people hate them? Blind? Autistic? Down Syndrome? Women? Hate can be A symptom of prejudice BUT it is not a primary symptom.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:50 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:22 am I think everyone needs to realize why discrimination occurs…

“Because I hate them”

That’s incorrect. Discrimination occurs through prejudices. Prejudice doesn’t always include hate, it is pre-judging someone. Do you honestly believe that people who are deaf are discriminated against because people hate them? Blind? Autistic? Down Syndrome? Women? Hate can be A symptom of prejudice BUT it is not a primary symptom.
Ok.

Prejudice is the reason…

Are you ok with prejudicial treatment for any non-protected class of people being the norm in American society?

It’s weird to me that we’re even talking about classes of people… as though this prejudicial caste system is a defense against the mistreatment of others…
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Bottom line, this brewery had the right...legal right....to say no to the rally.

Young Rittenhouse needs to gracefully come down off the pedestal he and many others have placed him on, and understand the world far better and that whining gets you nowhere.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think a big part of the problem is we can't agree on what "discrimination" means. Maybe operationalize that definition so we are all on the same page. Part of my job requires meeting my members in person; there have been a couple of times when I refused due to "bad vibes". Am I discriminating? Yes, based on instinct, maybe even prejudice. Is it "discrimination"? I'd say no. Individual discrimination is perfectly legal and done every day, based on a judgement call. Some classes of people are protected because of historical prejudice against an entire class (women in general not being able to vote, gay people not being able to be employed, black people not being allowed in certain areas). That was what had to be corrected by law. If this bar had discriminated against KR because he was a man, that is wrong. They can choose to "discriminate" against him personally, as an individual, because they don't like him, that is perfectly allowed. Unless we are suggesting that every place needs to host every person for any reason.

This is a ramble, my mind is not on this any longer, lol.
Locked Previous topicNext topic