What does this quote make you think? Agree or disagree?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:58 am Disagree. A felon has already been convicted of a crime , hence a felon. The felon's potential victim will not stir any fear in the felon. However, the potential victim/target must know how to defend themselves if they are to survive/overcome the attack.
How do you think the criminal chooses his potential victim ? Do you think the potential victim’s ability to fight back factors into the criminal’s choice of target?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:07 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm Oh goody. So those of us who don’t want to be victims of a deranged psycho should just learn to be scarier? So it’s our fault if we fail to do that?
I don’t think it said anything about being the victims fault…

It’s a quote on how to create a world where there are less victims.
It's having the opposite effect. The more guns, the more shooting victims.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm I have been protected my entire life by police, judges and juries, and so are you, every single day that you don't have to fight for your life in a lawless land.
Yes… you’re protected from being made a victim for the second time by judges and juries…

This would be a quote about how to protect potential victims before the 1st time happens…
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In sexual assault cases, gait, posture, eye contact ( sweeping surroundings) usually does. In crimes of opportunity, no.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:58 am Disagree. A felon has already been convicted of a crime , hence a felon. The felon's potential victim will not stir any fear in the felon. However, the potential victim/target must know how to defend themselves if they are to survive/overcome the attack.
How do you think the criminal chooses his potential victim ? Do you think the potential victim’s ability to fight back factors into the criminal’s choice of target?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:07 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm Oh goody. So those of us who don’t want to be victims of a deranged psycho should just learn to be scarier? So it’s our fault if we fail to do that?
I don’t think it said anything about being the victims fault…

It’s a quote on how to create a world where there are less victims.
It's having the opposite effect. The more guns, the more shooting victims.
The quote isn’t only about guns. There’s a gun in the picture, but making a victim less of a target would involve all different types of self defense, which include guns but are not limited to guns.

Since this comes from a Marine, they have the knowledge to fully defend themselves in every situation, which means knowing how to shoot, knowing how to stab, knowing how to hit in the most damage causing spots, knowing how to break bones with a heel stomp, knowing how to stop the attack in anyway possible.

This conversation turned to women in domestic violence situations, but making the women more helpless doesn’t really do anything to stop the person who is causing them to feel helpless.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Does it not?

If you were a criminal waiting around a corner to steal a purse, you see two women, one to the left and one to the right…one of them is wearing a sidearm and the other is not, which woman would you chose to grab the purse from?

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:33 pm In sexual assault cases, gait, posture, eye contact ( sweeping surroundings) usually does. In crimes of opportunity, no.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:26 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm I have been protected my entire life by police, judges and juries, and so are you, every single day that you don't have to fight for your life in a lawless land.
Yes… you’re protected from being made a victim for the second time by judges and juries…

This would be a quote about how to protect potential victims before the 1st time happens…
No, the criminal justice system has made the country I live in a safe place for me to live and work and play my entire life. (Until recently.) It also works to make most other industrial democracies safe places to work and live. There are many places where it works a lot better, and people are even safer than here.

On the other hand, have you ever been in a country that doesn't have a functioning justice system? I have. Crime is part of daily life. Anything left unattended for a second disappears, there is constant interpersonal violence, organized crime runs the neighborhood, and you need bodyguards to walk the street or you could be kidnapped for ransom. What police exist, might not even take you to jail - they just hit you up for a bribe to let you go. Murders are often not even reported.

There is no place that is safer with less law and more vigilantism. People DO fear the system of cops, judges and juries, and that is why it exists.

We should appreciate the life of peace and ease we have had, even with our imperfect justice. Our effort should be in making it better, not taking the law into our own hands.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Stupid, illogical, and greatly misinformed, but I wouldn't expect much from a crayon eater.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:06 pm

When it comes to child abuse, that’s a whole nother story that doesn’t have anything to do with teaching the child how to stop the abuse themselves…

The gun is the easiest way to kill someone, but that doesn’t mean murderers will simply be nice again if there are no guns around. Women being killed by their partners has been the #1 reason they are killed since the beginning of humanity… we should absolutely be looking for ways to empower women who are in a situation like that, and being able to defend themselves would be a top priority. And they should know how to defend themselves in every situation, even when no gun is around…
I think giving women the ability to legally remove guns from their home or partner is empowering them.
They already can legally remove a gun from their own home.

But how does that empower women by taking one of the possible thousand ways they could be killed away from an abusive partner ? By removing one of the only equalizing ways to protect themselves against an attack by someone who is most likely bigger and stronger? If they’re not capable of defending themselves, they’ll eventually be killed…

But again, this quote would be more pointed at empowering the potential victim before the perpetrator even targets them…
61% of the US has declared themselves second amendment sanctuaries which means they do not enforce red flag laws.

Arming a person means you are arming the household and that includes a prospective domestic abuser.

I believe that everyone, especially women, should learn ways to protect themselves against attack. I just don't believe that guns are the best or only way. I will never have a gun in my house nor will my daughter and yet, everyone in my household feels empowered to protect themselves and sees no need to be carrying a gun in order to do so. Should we not?

ETA for clarification - I would be irresponsible for me to have a gun in the house which is why I don't have one. I think this is the case for many women whose partners or child(ren) suffer from mental illnesses.

I have known way too many people (men and women) who have been killed by gun violence and each and every one of them was killed by their own gun. Perhaps I would think differently if I knew an equal number of men and women who were able to successfully defend themselves with a gun but I don't know any?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:20 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 am

That’s kind of the point… a woman in a DV situation shouldn’t feel like she has to wait for her brother to come save her.

It would go a lot further to stop domestic violence to completely empower a woman before she even enters into a relationship, and have the knowledge to fully defend herself before she even goes out on the first date… violent men chose specific women as partners because they know they can eventually control them. This is more about teaching a potential victim how to avoid being a target.
But again that goes to it taking a village. The tools that empower a woman before she ever enters a relationship and to avoid being a target isn’t whether she can physically defend herself but having self worth, self esteem, and self love.

So the best way for a woman to protect herself is not actually learning how to protect herself, but learning self love… because only self- hating women get into abusive relationships.
Do you think women in abusive relationships don’t know how to physically protect themselves? There have been several women in the military, who are well versed in self defense, who’ve been raped, murdered, and victims of domestic violence. Statistically, the majority of victims of domestic violence do not defend themselves and believe they deserve the abuse. A person who values themself does not believe they deserve the abuse and will defend themselves.
Locked Previous topicNext topic