What does this quote make you think? Agree or disagree?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:59 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:37 pm

You do understand that most people killed are usually killed by someone they know ?
Most murderers are the lovers.

Should that make them more comfortable to kill?
Learning to make your family and friends fear you doesn’t make sense. The best way to not be a victim is to insist no guns in the house. There will still be domestic violence but not nearly as much.
Making the man who is about to beat you to death think twice is probably not a bad thing for the woman in that situation…

And strangulation is a top method of murder in lovers fights… it might not matter if the gun is there or not.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:47 pm Oh goody. So those of us who don’t want to be victims of a deranged psycho should just learn to be scarier? So it’s our fault if we fail to do that?
I don’t think it said anything about being the victims fault…

It’s a quote on how to create a world where there are less victims.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:47 am
AZOldCoot wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:53 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:34 pm

We think of mass shootings but they are a tiny amount compared to gun murders in domestic violence cases. Even in mass shootings the shooter sometimes starts his murder spree with a family member. Women are much more likely to be murdered in their own home or workplace than anywhere else.

https://jaapl.org/content/early/2020/02 ... .003929-20
So IYO, what should those victims of DV do or should have done to help prevent (or could have prevented) becoming the victims in the first place?

Again, the police or even crisis intervention could take too long to get to them, depending on where they live.
You will never make everyone completely safe from violence. But crisis intervention can and does play a large role in getting family members out of an abusive house and protected from abusers. Perhaps we need more funding, education and outreach.

If you follow the quote, you would need to arm every child to protect them from abusive parents, and then expect the child to shoot their parent. Not a model I want to pursue.
The quote doesn’t actually mention guns…

With the amount of horrific child abuses going on, I think it’s be great if those parents learned to fear what could happen to them if they abuse their kids…

I’d never expect a child to shoot their parents. But reality is, the child also usually stays quiet out of fear… that’s not a model I want to continue. Teaching kids they have ways to fight back is important, especially when that way is calling the police.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:13 am
AZOldCoot wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:53 pm

So IYO, what should those victims of DV do or should have done to help prevent (or could have prevented) becoming the victims in the first place?

Again, the police or even crisis intervention could take too long to get to them, depending on where they live.
You will never make everyone completely safe from violence. But crisis intervention can and does play a large role in getting family members out of an abusive house and protected from abusers. Perhaps we need more funding, education and outreach.

If you follow the quote, you would need to arm every child to protect them from abusive parents, and then expect the child to shoot their parent. Not a model I want to pursue.

With the amount of horrific child abuses going on, I think it’s be great if those parents learned to fear what could happen to them if they abuse their kids…

I’d never expect a child to shoot their parents. But reality is, the child also usually stays quiet out of fear… that’s not a model I want to continue. Teaching kids they have ways to fight back is important, especially when that way is calling the police.
The police they don’t fear?

The quote may not use the words but it does actually mention guns by the fact that he’s aiming a gun. Words are not the only form of communication.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am

The quote may not use the words but it does actually mention guns by the fact that he’s aiming a gun. Words are not the only form of communication.
Kids are a lot more helpless than adults, and sadly, have to remain more helpless than adults.

That’s one of the reasons severe child abuse is one of the most unforgivable crimes…

Perhaps the quote is not trying to speak for children, but to speak to adults.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:42 am

Kids are a lot more helpless than adults, and sadly, have to remain more helpless than adults.

That’s one of the reasons severe child abuse is one of the most unforgivable crimes…

That’s why we, as a society, need to remember it takes a village. Not only to raise a child but to advocate for children. Doctors, teachers, CPS workers, grandparents, neighbors, people in line at the store seeing a child being yanked, yelled at and slapped. MYOB is all fine and great but in the process of doing this it’s children who are suffering. Now yes, calling CPS because you don’t think your sil is feeding her child enough vegetables or because your ex lets them stay up late totally petty and a myob situation BUT hearing your neighbor beat their child…not a myob situation.

I feel this quote must be taken out of context somewhere. As someone in the military, he should be extremely aware that those willing to commit the most heinous acts are not deterred by a single person, even one armed. A woman of DV isn’t going to strike fear into her abuser on her own, but her neighbor, her daddy, her brothers , sisters, mother, uncle, aunts THATs a huge part of why most abusers start with isolation.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Most murderers are the lovers.

Should that make them more comfortable to kill?
Learning to make your family and friends fear you doesn’t make sense. The best way to not be a victim is to insist no guns in the house. There will still be domestic violence but not nearly as much.
Making the man who is about to beat you to death think twice is probably not a bad thing for the woman in that situation…

And strangulation is a top method of murder in lovers fights… it might not matter if the gun is there or not.
What’s with this “lovers” word? I am talking about domestic violence where the majority are killed by guns. Family members, people related to each other, people who know each other.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:12 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:42 am

That’s why we, as a society, need to remember it takes a village. Not only to raise a child but to advocate for children. Doctors, teachers, CPS workers, grandparents, neighbors, people in line at the store seeing a child being yanked, yelled at and slapped. MYOB is all fine and great but in the process of doing this it’s children who are suffering. Now yes, calling CPS because you don’t think your sil is feeding her child enough vegetables or because your ex lets them stay up late totally petty and a myob situation BUT hearing your neighbor beat their child…not a myob situation.

I feel this quote must be taken out of context somewhere. As someone in the military, he should be extremely aware that those willing to commit the most heinous acts are not deterred by a single person, even one armed. A woman of DV isn’t going to strike fear into her abuser on her own, but her neighbor, her daddy, her brothers , sisters, mother, uncle, aunts THATs a huge part of why most abusers start with isolation.
Lt. "Jeff"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 am

What’s with this “lovers” word? I am talking about domestic violence where the majority are killed by guns. Family members, people related to each other, people who know each other.
Would you feel better with the word relationship companion? Husband? Partner?

You’re right… a murder victim is most likely to be killed by someone they know. I just don’t think trying to keep a weapon away from the murderers is a real way to go about stopping domestic violence.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 am
Lemons wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:21 am

Would you feel better with the word relationship companion? Husband? Partner?

You’re right… a murder victim is most likely to be killed by someone they know. I just don’t think trying to keep a weapon away from the murderers is a real way to go about stopping domestic violence.
Do you feel red flag laws are pointless?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic