What does this quote make you think? Agree or disagree?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:54 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:26 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm I have been protected my entire life by police, judges and juries, and so are you, every single day that you don't have to fight for your life in a lawless land.
Yes… you’re protected from being made a victim for the second time by judges and juries…

This would be a quote about how to protect potential victims before the 1st time happens…
No, the criminal justice system has made the country I live in a safe place for me to live and work and play my entire life. (Until recently.) It also works to make most other industrial democracies safe places to work and live. There are many places where it works a lot better, and people are even safer than here.

On the other hand, have you ever been in a country that doesn't have a functioning justice system? I have. Crime is part of daily life. Anything left unattended for a second disappears, there is constant interpersonal violence, organized crime runs the neighborhood, and you need bodyguards to walk the street or you could be kidnapped for ransom. What police exist, might not even take you to jail - they just hit you up for a bribe to let you go. Murders are often not even reported.

There is no place that is safer with less law and more vigilantism. People DO fear the system of cops, judges and juries, and that is why it exists.

We should appreciate the life of peace and ease we have had, even with our imperfect justice. Our effort should be in making it better, not taking the law into our own hands.
That’s awesome for you that you’re so safe, but sadly… in your country, 1 in 4 women are not. Good job being one of the other three though… it’s an extremely privileged upbringing to have been able to feel safe your whole life. Many people don’t get that.
Interesting enough, it’s the same just about everywhere. 1 in 4 will be made into victims in their lifetimes, and I don’t think it’s right to ignore those who do deal with it.
This is a quote about how to form a world with less victims to begin with. Teaching those people how to protect themselves is key.

There’s no one suggesting lessening the ability of police to respond to emergencies, there’s no one saying the law should be taken into their own hands and vigilantism reign supreme…

Stopping someone from beating you to death does not count as vigilantism.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:59 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:37 pm

You do understand that most people killed are usually killed by someone they know ?
Most murderers are the lovers.

Should that make them more comfortable to kill?
Learning to make your family and friends fear you doesn’t make sense. The best way to not be a victim is to insist no guns in the house. There will still be domestic violence but not nearly as much.
That has got to be the stupidest most asinine statement I’ve ever seen. There won’t be as much domestic violence without guns? Really? I guess beatings don’t matter. SMH

What about the woman in NY who was beaten by her ex and the next day he shot her because apparently beating her wasn’t enough to hold him on. I guess we can say he wasn’t scared by being arrested or jail.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:19 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 pm

I think giving women the ability to legally remove guns from their home or partner is empowering them.
They already can legally remove a gun from their own home.

But how does that empower women by taking one of the possible thousand ways they could be killed away from an abusive partner ? By removing one of the only equalizing ways to protect themselves against an attack by someone who is most likely bigger and stronger? If they’re not capable of defending themselves, they’ll eventually be killed…

But again, this quote would be more pointed at empowering the potential victim before the perpetrator even targets them…
61% of the US has declared themselves second amendment sanctuaries which means they do not enforce red flag laws.

Arming a person means you are arming the household and that includes a prospective domestic abuser.

I believe that everyone, especially women, should learn ways to protect themselves against attack. I just don't believe that guns are the best or only way. I will never have a gun in my house nor will my daughter and yet, everyone in my household feels empowered to protect themselves and sees no need to be carrying a gun in order to do so. Should we not?
I think you should make the choices that make you feel the most safe.

I also feel everyone should have that same right, and I think women should be taught how to defend themself, with deadly force if need be. That of course though, doesn’t have to be taught with a gun… but it should be an individual’s choice how to go about it.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:22 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:20 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:09 pm

But again that goes to it taking a village. The tools that empower a woman before she ever enters a relationship and to avoid being a target isn’t whether she can physically defend herself but having self worth, self esteem, and self love.

So the best way for a woman to protect herself is not actually learning how to protect herself, but learning self love… because only self- hating women get into abusive relationships.
Do you think women in abusive relationships don’t know how to physically protect themselves? There have been several women in the military, who are well versed in self defense, who’ve been raped, murdered, and victims of domestic violence. Statistically, the majority of victims of domestic violence do not defend themselves and believe they deserve the abuse. A person who values themself does not believe they deserve the abuse and will defend themselves.
Then it would be important to teach them to value themselves, and how to defend themselves, wouldn’t it?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:15 pm

They already can legally remove a gun from their own home.

But how does that empower women by taking one of the possible thousand ways they could be killed away from an abusive partner ? By removing one of the only equalizing ways to protect themselves against an attack by someone who is most likely bigger and stronger? If they’re not capable of defending themselves, they’ll eventually be killed…

But again, this quote would be more pointed at empowering the potential victim before the perpetrator even targets them…
61% of the US has declared themselves second amendment sanctuaries which means they do not enforce red flag laws.

Arming a person means you are arming the household and that includes a prospective domestic abuser.

I believe that everyone, especially women, should learn ways to protect themselves against attack. I just don't believe that guns are the best or only way. I will never have a gun in my house nor will my daughter and yet, everyone in my household feels empowered to protect themselves and sees no need to be carrying a gun in order to do so. Should we not?

I also feel everyone should have that same right, and I think women should be taught how to defend themself, with deadly force if need be. That of course though, doesn’t have to be taught with a gun… but it should be an individual’s choice how to go about it.
It should be an individual's choice but it should also be an educated choice.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 pm

It should be an individual's choice but it should also be an educated choice.
I fully agree.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Are you now advocating for open carry? Ate you suggesting that a purse thief would be unarmed? Are you suggesting that such thief would not use surprise and opportunity? Are you suggesting that a thief would not take into account the size of a potential victim, the surrounding environment, etc?

Lastly, do you agree with the meme?
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 pm Does it not?

If you were a criminal waiting around a corner to steal a purse, you see two women, one to the left and one to the right…one of them is wearing a sidearm and the other is not, which woman would you chose to grab the purse from?

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:33 pm In sexual assault cases, gait, posture, eye contact ( sweeping surroundings) usually does. In crimes of opportunity, no.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm

How do you think the criminal chooses his potential victim ? Do you think the potential victim’s ability to fight back factors into the criminal’s choice of target?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I’m saying that I think it’s pretty logical to think a petty thief would go for the easier target…

I do agree with the meme, I think empowering people before they become a victim is the best way to lessen the amount of victims there are. And that empowerment can come from being able to defend themselves, with whatever force may be necessary for the situation.
cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 pm Are you now advocating for open carry? Ate you suggesting that a purse thief would be unarmed? Are you suggesting that such thief would not use surprise and opportunity? Are you suggesting that a thief would not take into account the size of a potential victim, the surrounding environment, etc?

Lastly, do you agree with the meme?
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 pm Does it not?

If you were a criminal waiting around a corner to steal a purse, you see two women, one to the left and one to the right…one of them is wearing a sidearm and the other is not, which woman would you chose to grab the purse from?

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:33 pm In sexual assault cases, gait, posture, eye contact ( sweeping surroundings) usually does. In crimes of opportunity, no.

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:00 pm I’m saying that I think it’s pretty logical to think a petty thief would go for the easier target…

I do agree with the meme, I think empowering people before they become a victim is the best way to lessen the amount of victims there are. And that empowerment can come from being able to defend themselves, with whatever force may be necessary for the situation.
It's not working. Massively arming the population for personal defense is resulting in many, many more deaths.

This is just the mass shootings in November:

Nov. 1: In East St. Louis, Illinois, two people were killed and three were wounded when a fight broke out after an argument.

In Baltimore, three adults and a teenager were wounded in a nighttime shooting.

In Denver, one person was killed and five were wounded in a drive-by shooting.

Nov. 2: In Hattiesburg, Mississippi, two people were killed and three were wounded in a shooting downtown.

Nov. 4: In Chicago, four men were wounded in a shooting on the street in the city's Humboldt Park neighborhood.

In Orlando, a 23-year-old man shot and killed a four-year-old girl and three women.

In La Plata, Maryland, four people were shot dead in a house.

Nov. 5: In Gainesville, Florida, five people were shot and wounded outside a grocery store.

In Philadelphia, nine people were shot and wounded while they stood outside a bar in the city's Kensington neighborhood.

Nov. 6: In Buffalo, four people were wounded in a mass shooting inside what police called a "party venue."

In Jordan Township, Pennsylvania, three people were killed by the same gunman in two separate locations.

In Chicago, one person was killed and three were wounded in a shootout with a security guard outside a nightclub.

In a second Chicago shooting, five people were wounded at a birthday party on the city's Southwest Side.

In Tulare, California, five people were shot and wounded during an argument after a drag race. 

Nov. 7: In McAllen, Texas, a man shot and wounded four of his neighbors during a dispute over a palm tree.

Nov. 11: In Jersey City, New Jersey, four people were wounded in a shooting on the street.

Nov. 12: In Indio, California, one person was killed and three wounded in a shooting on the street.

In Fort Worth, Texas, four people were shot and wounded in an apartment complex.

Nov. 13: In Enfield, North Carolina, one adult was shot and killed, and five adults were wounded along with a teenager at an outdoor bonfire.

In Omaha, Nebraska, one person was shot dead, and seven others were wounded at an early morning gathering on the street.

In Philadelphia, four people were shot and wounded during an argument at a nightclub.

In Memphis, four people were shot and wounded outside a high school.

In Charlottesville, at the University of Virginia, a man shot and killed three students and wounded two others after a school bus trip off campus.

Nov. 16: In Phoenix, a man shot and killed his wife and three children and then killed himself.

Nov. 17: In Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, three Customs and Border Protection agents were shot, one fatally, along with a suspected drug smuggler.

Nov. 18: In Chesterfield County, Virginia, a woman and her three children were shot and killed in what police called a "domestic dispute."

Nov. 19: In Colorado Springs, a gunman with an AR-15 style rifle shot and killed five people and wounded 25 others inside Club Q, a gay bar and nightclub.

Nov. 20: In Philadelphia, Mississippi, one man was shot and killed, and six others were wounded during a dice game on a farm.

In Dallas, four people were wounded during an argument outside a pool hall.

Nov. 22: In Chesapeake, Virginia, a night manager at a Walmart killed seven people and wounded six others before killing himself inside the store.

Nov. 23: In Philadelphia, four high school students were shot outside their school just after early dismissal for Thanksgiving in a drive-by shooting.

n Temple Hills, Maryland, four teenagers and one adult were wounded in an unexplained shooting.

Nov. 24: In Houston, a man walked into a home while people were having Thanksgiving dinner, shot two people dead and wounded two others. 

And that's just through Thanksgiving. Arming people for defense does not make them safer. This is not lessening the amount of victims there are. It creates more.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Completely disagree.
Locked Previous topicNext topic