What does this quote make you think? Agree or disagree?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm
Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Crayon eater isn't just a military thing, it's a common phrase. Like I said, grow up. You are only doubling down to prove my point.
The quote was said by a guy in the USMC...aka.... a marine. The common reference between branches is that marines are crayon eaters. Pull the stick out Conspiracarpy
Damn, you are hellbent on proving my point.
I find the claim that you have a point laughable.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm
Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Crayon eater isn't just a military thing, it's a common phrase. Like I said, grow up. You are only doubling down to prove my point.
The quote was said by a guy in the USMC...aka.... a marine. The common reference between branches is that marines are crayon eaters. Pull the stick out Conspiracarpy
Oh just stop.
She's right.

Its a lighthearted insult about Marines that other military branches say.

Each branch has insults that they say to each other.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I disagree. Not everyone is physically strong enough to handle a criminal. I know people that literally don’t have the physical strength to aim a gun and fire it. Cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s, other disabilities, they’re elderly, or they are children. Hell I consider myself strong but if my younger son wanted to he could probably hurt me. He’s stronger than he looks. This sounds like a load of victim shaming. If we really want to stop criminals people need to support each other. Matter of fact it starts in infancy. We need to become the type of village that raises the child. Support vulnerable parents, provide teachers kids can look up to, mentors, and resources. And when the criminals do come around the neighborhood as one stands up against them. Sure the victim can fight back and many do. But like the old saw you can break one stick. You can’t break a bundle of them.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm We don't live in the F***ing wild west. Idiot.

Walk softly and carry a big stick.
I haven't heard this in forever. LOL! Our elders always use to tell us this growing up. LOL!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Yes and no. As with anything, there is no one size fits all answer.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:20 pm
Nov. 2: In Hattiesburg, Mississippi, two people were killed and three were wounded in a shooting downtown.
Hattiesburg has gotten bad. I haven't heard about this.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

I don't know. Not everyone is capable of defending themselves. To put the full onus on the victim doesn't seem right.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:43 pm 30946370-E8F0-42F6-9164-B34764629444.jpeg
1. What about white collar crimes?

2. What about crimes against children?

3. You are never going to have a society in which all members are equally dangerous. And, even if you did have a society where everyone had 5 years military training and went around with a loaded gun at all times... the advantage would still lie with criminals who make their first shot, from cover and with no warning. Or who just wait until their target is drunk or otherwise distracted (eg carrying shopping bags in either hand).

4. What is your evidence that his holds true in all societies? For example, in Britain, the police manage to arrest and prosecute more than 3 out of every 4 murderers. They are very much a deterrent.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:06 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:43 pm 30946370-E8F0-42F6-9164-B34764629444.jpeg
1. What about white collar crimes?

2. What about crimes against children?

3. You are never going to have a society in which all members are equally dangerous. And, even if you did have a society where everyone had 5 years military training and went around with a loaded gun at all times... the advantage would still lie with criminals who make their first shot, from cover and with no warning. Or who just wait until their target is drunk or otherwise distracted (eg carrying shopping bags in either hand).

4. What is your evidence that his holds true in all societies? For example, in Britain, the police manage to arrest and prosecute more than 3 out of every 4 murderers. They are very much a deterrent.
1) this is more about violent crime
2) children aren’t legally allowed to protect themselves in the same way adults are
3) were never going to fully stop crime, this is a quote on how to lessen it.
4) that’s great, but in order to prosecute murderers, there’s already a dead victim. This is about how to stop the victimization.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't think I would agree. We have more guns than people and according to some, our crime rate is skyrocketing. If that's true then guns aren't working. If it's not true, I don't think I've seen evidence that guns are what is causing the reduction, especially since the guns are concentrated in a small percentage of the population. They can't all be in the right place at the right time. And the quote smacks of victim-blaming.

We as a society could do more to reduce crime, but it's not right or fair to put the burden on an individual.
Locked Previous topicNext topic