Nostalgic Thanksgiving dishes

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Does your table include some quirky family favorite that other people might find strange?

When I first joined DH family for a Thanksgiving I realized not everyone has antipasto and lasagna as a first course on holidays. I felt like it wasn't even Thanksgiving with no pasta dish!

Then I saw the creamed onions and the molded jello salad and realized we came from very different culinary worlds.

Do you have some treasured but dish that must appear on the holiday table?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 am Does your table include some quirky family favorite that other people might find strange?

When I first joined DH family for a Thanksgiving I realized not everyone has antipasto and lasagna as a first course on holidays. I felt like it wasn't even Thanksgiving with no pasta dish!

Then I saw the creamed onions and the molded jello salad and realized we came from very different culinary worlds.

Do you have some treasured but dish that must appear on the holiday table?
All i can say is yuck, they do not sound appetizing at all. For us it would have to be the roasted potatoes instead of mashed. I would definitely say there is nothing weird on the holiday table.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know if Boston Cream Pie is a traditional dish but growing up my Dad always made it at Thanksgiving.

This year I was feeling really sad because I never got his recipe before he died, so I Googled a recipe and DH made it. It came out delicious, even with DH not being a baker. I think we'll make this every year.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:13 am I don't know if Boston Cream Pie is a traditional dish but growing up my Dad always made it at Thanksgiving.

This year I was feeling really sad because I never got his recipe before he died, so I Googled a recipe and DH made it. It came out delicious, even with DH not being a baker. I think we'll make this every year.
I have not had Boston Cream Pie for decades - such a special dessert! Sounds like a great tradition to bring back.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I really don’t do a traditional thanksgiving feast the menu changes each year.. the only nostalgic dish that we have to work into the menu is baked Mac and cheese( my husband has to have it) and old fashioned pound cake-my grandma’s recipe.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:41 am I really don’t do a traditional thanksgiving feast the menu changes each year.. the only nostalgic dish that we have to work into the menu is baked Mac and cheese( my husband has to have it) and old fashioned pound cake-my grandma’s recipe.
Baked Mac n' Cheese seems to be a staple on Southern holiday tables. Do you have a recipe you would share?
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:55 am
Inmybizz wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:41 am I really don’t do a traditional thanksgiving feast the menu changes each year.. the only nostalgic dish that we have to work into the menu is baked Mac and cheese( my husband has to have it) and old fashioned pound cake-my grandma’s recipe.
Baked Mac n' Cheese seems to be a staple on Southern holiday tables. Do you have a recipe you would share?
My daughter usually makes it( I’m not a real fan of Mac and cheese).. I’ll get her recipe.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Bread and butter pickles and black olives which I've since found out that quite a few on this site have them set out.

My dad brought this tradititon to the holiday tables from his Mom, and while my Mom found it weird, we had it every year at the holidays when I was growing up and we have been doing the same with my own family.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:50 am Bread and butter pickles and black olives which I've since found out that quite a few on this site have them set out.

My dad brought this tradititon to the holiday tables from his Mom, and while my Mom found it weird, we had it every year at the holidays when I was growing up and we have been doing the same with my own family.
My mom put those out with other pickles and called it a relish tray. I do it too.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Idk…I’m a southerner, so there’s many things we eat that other people think are gross or weird, but I think one thing we (my family) always had growing up that others didn’t is what we call chocolate syrup cake (not just on Thanksgiving but in general). It’s just a basic butter/yellow cake with holes poked in it then homemade chocolate syrup/sauce is poured over it. That’s it. It’s doesn’t look like much, but it’s good. I guess it’s what’s called a poke cake now, but it’s not dressed up with whipped cream or anything like that. Having some this evening when I go to my sister’s for Thanksgiving.
Locked Previous topicNext topic