Anyone else's kids do this?

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son is almost 4 and he does something I've never seen any other kid do. We will say something to him and he responds with something totally off the wall, not even remotely related to what we just said. Here are some examples just from today. I've been writing them down to bring up with his doctor next month during his annual checkup.

Me: DS, please move.

DS: I'm not backwards!

Me: DS, let's get dressed

DS: No! I don't want to watch Cocomelon!

Me: DS, leave the vacuum alone please.

DS: No! I didn't get all the boo boos out!

His speech is excellent, and when he was evaluated by his preschool they didn't have any concerns but he didn't say anything like what he's doing at home there. He DOES give appropriate answers, but he also says things totally not related to what we just said like what I described above.

I've never known a child to do these things so wanted to get others opinions.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe they make sense to him. Like he’s trying to vacuum boo boos out or he feels he has to get dressed to watch Cocomelon. I’d just say i didn’t say you were backwards but you are in the way. Or ask what he means. See what he says.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:15 pm Maybe they make sense to him. Like he’s trying to vacuum boo boos out or he feels he has to get dressed to watch Cocomelon. I’d just say i didn’t say you were backwards but you are in the way. Or ask what he means. See what he says.
I do say what you said to say. Just acknowledge him and repeat what I said. But when I ask him what he means he just repeats what he said in the first place.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My daughter would sometimes respond with unrelated comments & later also went through a pretty significant stuttering phase. The kinder teacher was the one that was worried because she was concerned my daughter was not comprehending things said to here, due to an occasional odd response.

The speech therapist and occupational therapist evaluated her and did not identify any serious problems. They may have used formal terminology although I forgot now, but basically explained that some children have a lot of cognitive processing occurring in their brains, and due to immaturity, that they sometimes send the wrong thought for verbal expression, even though they understand what was being said to them. They said, to continue to monitor her, but she would outgrow it. They also said it was common in kids with ADHD and also high ability kids, as they are often really busy thinking about a lot of things, and often have more to say, than they can process from a motor skills talking standpoint.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:53 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:15 pm Maybe they make sense to him. Like he’s trying to vacuum boo boos out or he feels he has to get dressed to watch Cocomelon. I’d just say i didn’t say you were backwards but you are in the way. Or ask what he means. See what he says.
I do say what you said to say. Just acknowledge him and repeat what I said. But when I ask him what he means he just repeats what he said in the first place.
Then i guess I’d repeat what i wanted him to do. “That’s fine about the boo-boo but you have to leave the vacuum alone now.” Maybe it’s like the other poster said. He’s comprehending but can’t express it yet. If he doesn’t do it constantly then i wouldn’t be too concerned. I can’t remember if my son did this but i don’t think so. With him it was more like he was ignoring me. I used to get right up in his face before he listened. He has speech apraxia and adhd.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I work with students who have special needs and this sounds a lot like one of my kiddos. Super bright kid but he has low auditory processing. Some things to try…make sure you have his attention before you speak. Tell him what you want him to do and then have him repeat it back to you. Keep instructions short and simple.

The kid I am thinking of reads above grade level, is excellent at math, and has some other really great strengths. But if I ask him a specific question about a story, he can rarely answer it. However, if he reads the same exact thing he answers it perfectly.

One day I told him to come back into the classroom and he told me he was wearing his jacket because it was cold in the room. Another time, I told him to turn in his assignment and he told me he left his markers in the classroom library.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Stupid question, maybe, but does he watch any tv and would this be something a character in the show might do? I don't know. It could be something wrong, but it sounds like something stupid that characters would do in a cartoon that he could be imitating.
Locked Previous topicNext topic