Teens create free "Period Pantry"

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Three Virginia teens create a ‘period pantry’ for free pads, tampons

...Ariyanna Ghala, 14, was shopping with her mom, she noticed how expensive a box of pads were and thought there must be something she could do to help people who couldn’t afford them.

The teen in Vienna, Va., talked to her friends Ramsey Warner and Isabel Buescher, both 14, and the three of them got to work. They researched the issue, learning how many states still tax these products. They heard about “period poverty” — unequal access to menstrual hygiene. They read stories about girls who miss school because they lack pads and tampons, and they learned about adults who are unable to afford these essential products.

In September, they launched their free period pantry outside a church in Vienna, filling the two-foot wide, one-foot deep and 2.5-foot tall wooden container they constructed with donated pads and tampons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ce=twitter

Back in the stone age, I went to a women's college and there were free menstrual products in every restroom. I didn't realize at the time that this was unusual. This is such a great service for their community.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:34 am
Three Virginia teens create a ‘period pantry’ for free pads, tampons

...Ariyanna Ghala, 14, was shopping with her mom, she noticed how expensive a box of pads were and thought there must be something she could do to help people who couldn’t afford them.

The teen in Vienna, Va., talked to her friends Ramsey Warner and Isabel Buescher, both 14, and the three of them got to work. They researched the issue, learning how many states still tax these products. They heard about “period poverty” — unequal access to menstrual hygiene. They read stories about girls who miss school because they lack pads and tampons, and they learned about adults who are unable to afford these essential products.

In September, they launched their free period pantry outside a church in Vienna, filling the two-foot wide, one-foot deep and 2.5-foot tall wooden container they constructed with donated pads and tampons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ce=twitter

Back in the stone age, I went to a women's college and there were free menstrual products in every restroom. I didn't realize at the time that this was unusual. This is such a great service for their community.
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/25/93889376 ... f%20charge.
Good on those girls!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Good for these girls.

Just this past October, CVS reduced menstrual products in 12 states, states that ending sales tax on these product have failed and have laws that prohibit the company from “covering” the tax. They have also began to go through other products such as razors and shaving cream to end price differences of products marketed towards women versus men.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Good for these girls!
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our high school put in a free vending machine with pads and tampons. The kids destroyed it. It sad to see. I was told that all school here have them for free in the bathrooms.

My friends and I all swapped tampons and pads. My dd and her friends do as well. I bought her extra ones to keep in her Locker.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our high/middle school has a free pantry with all sorts of shelf stable items. It’s a low income area, and teachers and local churches usually donate to it.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Great kids.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Great kids.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:47 pm Our high school put in a free vending machine with pads and tampons. The kids destroyed it. It sad to see. I was told that all school here have them for free in the bathrooms.

My friends and I all swapped tampons and pads. My dd and her friends do as well. I bought her extra ones to keep in her Locker.
I shared too, but the reason was because some girls parents either couldn't or wouldn't afford these products and told them to use the toilet paper at school.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Schools should just supply those things but good for the girls to meet a need.
Locked Previous topicNext topic