Top QB recruit loses his college scholarship after singing along to a song in his car and sang the N word

Anonymous 1

Unread post

One of the best high school football players in the country had his Florida scholarship offer pulled this weekend ... after he was seen on video rapping the n-word.

Marcus Stokes posted the quick, two-second clip on his social media page last week -- appearing to show the quarterback recruit singing, "Welcome back, n***a."

"I was in my car listening to rap music, rapping along to the words and posted a video of it on social media," Stokes explained on his Twitter page on Sunday.

"I deeply apologize for the words in the song that I chose to say. It was hurtful and offensive to many people, and I regret that."

TMZ article:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/21/top-qb-r ... HfKEVZWPYs

Your thoughts on this?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Consequence of his own stupidity. He posted a 2 second clip from a whole ass song and only chose to post the part with a racial slur.....and thought posting was a good idea.

Sucks to be stupid.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I think it should be criminal…

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:31 am I think it should be criminal…

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
I've never felt like I couldn't take part in pop culture just because I can't sing the n-word. I am not being marginalized in any way for skipping that one particular word in the song. I don't understand why white people want to say the word so damn badly that they feel oppressed by not being "allowed" to say it without repercussions.

What should be criminal? The college rescinding his scholarship offer?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Is it certain races or just one race? If a Hispanic player sang this song is that ok or would he lose his scholarship too? Asians? I don't listen to rap anymore but I did as a teen. And I definitely remember singing that word when listening to Snoop Dog for example in my room. Nobody cared but I guess now they do. The kid is stupid for putting it out there but...it's part of the song? I guess when you sing along really loud in your car alone you are supposed to pause for a moment? Do people do that? This is all so silly.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY_1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am

I've never felt like I couldn't take part in pop culture just because I can't sing the n-word. I am not being marginalized in any way for skipping that one particular word in the song. I don't understand why white people want to say the word so damn badly that they feel oppressed by not being "allowed" to say it without repercussions.

So when you are singing along alone in your car you really DO pause your singing words when the word nigga is used? I really had no idea people did that in their cars or homes. Call me naive. It's...the song. Do you also pause other words like if the song says retarded or any other insensitive word?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

And if that’s how you feel then great… I’m on the side of wanting it out of popular culture. I don’t feel oppressed by not being able to say it, I feel like the acceptability of it creates an environment that holds people back.

Racism perpetrated on a University level is a crime. If the university deemed that word as racist and therefore unacceptable for their students to say, great… but it cannot be held against only specific races without being a textbook definition of racism.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:45 am

So when you are singing along alone in your car you really DO pause your singing words when the word nigga is used? I really had no idea people did that in their cars or homes. Call me naive. It's...the song. Do you also pause other words like if the song says retarded or any other insensitive word?
People pause all the time when they can't remember the words to a song and start singing again when they get to a part they recall. Why would pausing to keep from saying a word be any different? Ever listen to Kids Bop? It "pauses" or changes the words on all sorts of popular songs that normally have unacceptable words. CeeLo Green had "f**k you" changed to "forget you" in one of his.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Some people do. When I sing along with songs I will not sing swear words as I do not swear, so I usually make (what I call) a strange facial gesture. The big mistake this guy made was posting the video. Not everything we do in life needs to be posted, and when you have a word like that you do need to be very careful. When you say the word it hurts people, and you need to be very aware of your actions.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

Yeah. I don't say those words. I wouldn't even type them.

But, are we REALLY honestly arguing that white people are oppressed because *culturally* we cannot say them without repercussions? Not even legal repercussions, just social and cultural ones? If you think it is ridiculous that I wouldn't sing along that particular word, I think it's incredibly soft to think this means I'm oppressed....
Locked Previous topicNext topic