Another mass shooting at a Walmart in Virginia

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Talk about tone deaf that England still has this song sung in public -
The nations not so blest as thee
Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish great and free:
The dread and envy of them all.
This song was written during the height of Britain’s international slave trading business. The British screaming that they will never be slaves while enslaving people all over the world and they still sing it.

Anyway, that’s kind of obscure. Doesn’t take away the fighting over slavery had begun and Jefferson was quoted as being against slavery with no intention of giving slaves their freedom even after his death. He was no role model, no real leader. And he didn’t write that speech, it was too good.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 pm When I said “never becoming a slave” I was referring to how it was a Britannia age of government creation here…

They were making a new form of Britain but without a king, and taxed their way. That’s why everything was named New Jersey, New England, New York…

This was the charter, the charter of the land
And guardian angels sang this strain
Rule Britannia, Britannia, rule the waves
Britons never, never, shall be slaves
Rule Britannia, Britannia, rule the waves
Britons never, never, shall be slaves

Lemons wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:04 pm I know there are different interpretations on what he meant. Some scholars say it was deliberately vague. I still don’t see where he wrote about fear of being a white slave.

This was a start. Four years later Pennsylvania became the first state to create a law that no more babies would be born slaves. After that Massachusetts was the first to change their constitution banning slavery outright followed by surrounding states. This was all happening shortly after the speech.

I believe you about fear of slavery, I can imagine most governments were back then. I just don’t see it in writing like you claim.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:10 pm

He was talking about his White friends, not everyone. Massachusetts had a lot more to say about it than hearing a speech they liked…

https://news.stanford.edu/press-release ... nged-time/

On July 4, 1776, when the Continental Congress adopted the historic text drafted by Thomas Jefferson, they did not intend it to mean individual equality. Rather, what they declared was that American colonists, as a people, had the same rights to self-government as other nations. Because they possessed this fundamental right, Rakove said, they could establish new governments within each of the states and collectively assume their “separate and equal station” with other nations. It was only in the decades after the American Revolutionary War that the phrase acquired its compelling reputation as a statement of individual equality.
Locked Previous topicNext topic