Another mass shooting at a Walmart in Virginia

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:58 pm That doesn’t mean the access isn’t still easy. It’s nice that it’s not as easy as it was before. It doesn’t mean it’s not easy now.
Carpy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:45 am Guns are not as easily accessible as they used to be. We have an angry nation and that anger primarily originates in DC.
What do you consider easy?

Editing to add my dad walked into a hardware in 1927 and paid 50cents and walked out with his first gun. He was 12.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:28 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:07 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:45 am Guns are not as easily accessible as they used to be. We have an angry nation and that anger primarily originates in DC.
I’m angry too but you don’t see me walking into my workplace looking to die. To commit suicide is bad enough. To take people out with you is quite another and probably has nothing to do with DC. It has more to do with his workplace and his illness. Our problem is we do a lousy job keeping guns away from the mental ill. He may have been fine when he bought the gun but slowly got worse. Gun ownership should be like my professional license. Register every year or two, get tested at the gun range and maybe back ground check at intervals. And if your family member is losing it take his guns. I would and if he wanted to turn me in for theft fine. At least they’d be at the bottom of the nearest canal. But idk anything about this guy. It’s all so senseless.
You are more stable.
For now anyway. Idk what made this guy mentally unstable but he might not always been like that. Maybe once he could function in society. That’s the scary part.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Compared to pretty much every other country in the world. The US, while being 5% of the world’s population has 46% of the world’s civilian owned guns. It’s also #1 in guns per capita. And not surprising, it has the highest rate of gun violence amongst developed countries. It also has the second highest number of gun related deaths, only outnumbered by Brazil.
Carpy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:59 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:58 pm That doesn’t mean the access isn’t still easy. It’s nice that it’s not as easy as it was before. It doesn’t mean it’s not easy now.
What do you consider easy?

Editing to add my dad walked into a hardware in 1927 and paid 50cents and walked out with his first gun. He was 12.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:47 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:07 pm

I’m angry too but you don’t see me walking into my workplace looking to die. To commit suicide is bad enough. To take people out with you is quite another and probably has nothing to do with DC. It has more to do with his workplace and his illness. Our problem is we do a lousy job keeping guns away from the mental ill. He may have been fine when he bought the gun but slowly got worse. Gun ownership should be like my professional license. Register every year or two, get tested at the gun range and maybe back ground check at intervals. And if your family member is losing it take his guns. I would and if he wanted to turn me in for theft fine. At least they’d be at the bottom of the nearest canal. But idk anything about this guy. It’s all so senseless.
You are more stable.
For now anyway. Idk what made this guy mentally unstable but he might not always been like that. Maybe once he could function in society. That’s the scary part.

Sounds more like from a place of hate and anger, but that can lead to or be a symptom of mental illness I guess.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:17 pm

You are more stable.

Sounds more like from a place of hate and anger, but that can lead to or be a symptom of mental illness I guess.
Does the United States have a much larger population of mentally ill people than the rest of the world? Because this isn’t happening in any other country.

According to the government site on mental health (and anywhere else)

“ Most people with mental illness are not violent and only 3%–5% of violent acts can be attributed to individuals living with a serious mental illness. In fact, people with severe mental illnesses are over 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population.”

If gun violence was only committed by someone with a mental illness you would think the country would guarantee treatment for anyone needing it.

https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/men ... yths-facts
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:16 pm

Does the United States have a much larger population of mentally ill people than the rest of the world? Because this isn’t happening in any other country.

“ Most people with mental illness are not violent and only 3%–5% of violent acts can be attributed to individuals living with a serious mental illness. In fact, people with severe mental illnesses are over 10 times more likely to be victims of violent crime than the general population.”

If gun violence was only committed by someone with a mental illness you would think the country would guarantee treatment for anyone needing it.

This guy had a seriously fucked up childhood. I can see an angry adult from that. But 3 - 5% of how many violent acts?
306/232

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 pm

This guy had a seriously fucked up childhood. I can see an angry adult from that. But 3 - 5% of how many violent acts?
All violent acts committed. If there were 100 violent acts committed then between 3 to 5 of them were committed by people with mental illness.

There’s a study I’ll linked that states “. Overall, the population-attributable risk fraction of patients was 5%, suggesting that patients with severe mental illness commit one in 20 violent crimes.“

That means we would have 19 out of every.20 violent crimes committed by people without illness.

Even though it’s uncommon with people who have mental illness to commit violence, some factors that would contribute to violence would be substance use, childhood abuse, untreated major trauma issues.

You’re right, his seriously fucked up childhood must have pushed him over the edge.
But the cases that get all the news coverage makes it seem like all gun murders are caused by mental illness and that’s far from true. Pro gun people and lawmakers say “mental illness” is the problem all the time but there’s been nothing done and gun violence is only getting worse.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10 ... 163.8.1397
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:47 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 pm

All violent acts committed. If there were 100 violent acts committed then between 3 to 5 of them were committed by people with mental illness.

There’s a study I’ll linked that states “. Overall, the population-attributable risk fraction of patients was 5%, suggesting that patients with severe mental illness commit one in 20 violent crimes.“

That means we would have 19 out of every.20 violent crimes committed by people without illness.

Even though it’s uncommon with people who have mental illness to commit violence, some factors that would contribute to violence would be substance use, childhood abuse, untreated major trauma issues.

You’re right, his seriously fucked up childhood must have pushed him over the edge.
But the cases that get all the news coverage makes it seem like all gun murders are caused by mental illness and that’s far from true. Pro gun people and lawmakers say “mental illness” is the problem all the time but there’s been nothing done and gun violence is only getting worse.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10 ... 163.8.1397
I understand the math. I'm asking how many "violent acts" were recorded in total.

Ftr I don't buy the mental health excuse with the majority of these shooters.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"CHESAPEAKE, Va. – Authorities investigating the fatal shootings of six people at a Walmart said that the shooter bought the gun just hours before and left a note with grievances against coworkers on his phone."
306/232

Locked Previous topicNext topic