It has gotten bigger. I don't feel good at all.

Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:31 am Best wishes. I can’t imagine how scary this is for a mother.

But you have to remain strong for your DS.
Thank you I am trying to be strong.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:02 am Firstly while I can’t imagine dealing with this in a child you have to remember this is about HIM. You MUST be steady for HIM. If you go off the rails wailing and worried he will not be able to face what ever is next.

Life is uncertain, that is the only guarantee. Also, it’s been longer than a month that you originally posted about this-so the swelling seems slow growing. If the doctors were very concerned they wouldn’t wait weeks for biopsy’s and scans. This I speak on from personal experience-my endocrinologist discovered a 5cm swelling of my R thyroid. I had a biopsy the next day and an ultrasound within 3. It is benign and just needs followed yearly with ultrasound. So
Be worried but do not allow it to take over your life.

Thank you and youre right I'm trying not to go off the rails. I will get all my tears out and prepare for the worst before the dr visit so I wont totally lose it in front of him.The reason every appointment takes so many weeks is because the healthcare sucks here in Nevada
..there simply isnt any availability .I also dropped the ball a couple times myself with the appointments.

The dr did tell me at the last appointment if he felt it was serious he would've ordered the biopsy right away but my son doesnt have any of the other symptoms like weight loss and night sweats so he just lets me schedule things when I need to. I am thankful he isnt experiencing other symptoms so that gives me a bit of hope.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Kookookrazy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:02 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 am I honestly can’t say if this is serious or not. I’m not a doctor nor do I know all the details. I do know several people including children who have been diagnosed with cancer by a swollen lymph node (myself being one of them), though. So prepare yourself for that possibility. Breakdown now if you need to, so you have time to prepare and steel yourself beforehand.

How is he doing? How is he handling all this?

As someone who has been through this as a teen, it’s ok to cry and be scared in front of your children. It’s not ok to be so overwhelmed that you can’t tend to your son’s needs. Also, you won’t be the first person to cry in front of a doctor. Bring questions and a notebook, and if you have a friend, bring them as well for support and extra ears.

You had this? Are you okay today? I'm worried about everything at the same time i could barely sleep last night. I need to be able to function but I'm petrified.I would much rather it was me that was going thru an illness than him. He hates needles and he had to get several for the IV they couldn't find his veins and i felt terrible for him . He doesn't deserve this .

He is doing okay physically he doesn't have any other symptoms... Mentally he is doing better than me He tells me he is afraid every once in awhile but for the most part he is strong . Her will follow my lead if I'm scared he will be scared but if I'm strong he will be strong I noticed that at the last visit I just have to keep myself together its so hard though.
Had the same thing? Doubtful, I had cancer (nasopharyngeal carcinoma to be exact) though that metastasized to my lymph nodes in my neck and under my collarbone that lead to a ct scan and found a mass in my nasopharynx. I was diagnosed when I was 14, and I’m now 36 with a DH and 3 kids. Does that count as okay? I won’t lie. Cancer treatment has had many long term and late term side effects that impact my daily life, but I’m alive. Nobody deserves this. Find support (church, therapy, support groups, etc) to help you both even though you aren’t certain what the diagnosis is yet or even if there is anything wrong at all. You need someone to unburden on and reassure you. He’ll likely need that as well. My mom was a single parent during that time as well, so I hid a lot of my feelings from her. Looking back, going to a support group or talking privately with a therapist would have been of tremendous help to me.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Healthcare sucks everywhere, but if the doc was worried the biopsy would be done already. They wouldn’t risk a malpractice suit by waiting. If the doctor says not to worry then go with that.

Google kidney pain—could be kidney stones, could be cancer.

Google headache—could be a migraine, could be cancer

Google paper cut—could be a laceration, could be cancer.

Google will tell you each possibility but the doctors are the ones who have seen it, put hands on your child, and are the ones who know how to proceed.

Kookookrazy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:18 pm
Heyteacher wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:02 am Firstly while I can’t imagine dealing with this in a child you have to remember this is about HIM. You MUST be steady for HIM. If you go off the rails wailing and worried he will not be able to face what ever is next.

Life is uncertain, that is the only guarantee. Also, it’s been longer than a month that you originally posted about this-so the swelling seems slow growing. If the doctors were very concerned they wouldn’t wait weeks for biopsy’s and scans. This I speak on from personal experience-my endocrinologist discovered a 5cm swelling of my R thyroid. I had a biopsy the next day and an ultrasound within 3. It is benign and just needs followed yearly with ultrasound. So
Be worried but do not allow it to take over your life.

Thank you and youre right I'm trying not to go off the rails. I will get all my tears out and prepare for the worst before the dr visit so I wont totally lose it in front of him.The reason every appointment takes so many weeks is because the healthcare sucks here in Nevada
..there simply isnt any availability .I also dropped the ball a couple times myself with the appointments.

The dr did tell me at the last appointment if he felt it was serious he would've ordered the biopsy right away but my son doesnt have any of the other symptoms like weight loss and night sweats so he just lets me schedule things when I need to. I am thankful he isnt experiencing other symptoms so that gives me a bit of hope.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:50 am Look, I understand your fear, but you must grow up and mom up. Put your big girl panties on and act like it.
She is being a mom she's worried about her kid. That doesn't mean she's crying in front of him and being all dramatic.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:37 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:50 am Look, I understand your fear, but you must grow up and mom up. Put your big girl panties on and act like it.
She is being a mom she's worried about her kid. That doesn't mean she's crying in front of him and being all dramatic.
Are you new lol?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Keep in mind it could be an easy problem to handle. Ex) I had a lump in my neck, I watched it get bigger for yrs. Finally had it checked. I had an hpv cancer on a small piece of tonsil left after a tonsillectomy. The cancer moved to a lymph node ( the bump in my neck). I had surgery to remove the piece of tonsil ( the cancer) & 30 lymph nodes. No other treatments, no chemo, no radiation. And the drs tell me it won't come back.

Relax, and just listen to what the drs say.
Locked Previous topicNext topic