Question- how does that work?

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I was watching part of the World Cup, and the USA game ended 1 to 1.

How does that work? Who goes forward then? How can a game end in a tie?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In this stage the teams are divided into groups and they are given three points for winning a game, one point for a draw, and zero points for a loss. Teams will play every team in their group (four teams in each group). The team with the most points out of all the games at the end advances. The next stage is knock out, meaning when someone losses and game, they are done. So US and Wales now each have one point.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Was that not some BS officiating? I know I sound like one of those bitter over-protective fans. But the multiple replays showed, the referees were just basically cheating, I don’t hardly feel like watching any more. Sure the players are skilled, but if the games are not fair, what’s the point?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

To expand on what Olioxenfree stated - the two teams with the most points advance from each group. If two or more teams are tied in points there are tiebreakers that determine which team advances (thanks dad for explaining the tiebreakers)
1 - goal differential in all group matches (goals scored less goals surrendered)
2 - number of goals scored in all group matches
3 - points received in group play between the teams involved in the tie
4 - number of goals between the teams involved in the tie
5 - team with the least number of penalties will advanced
6 - a draw between the teams involved will take place

On an aside I really cannot watch soccer at all. The players rolling around pretending they are hurt to get some type of advantage is painful. Get up and just play the damn game.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s my understanding that at this stage, when the teams are divided by different groups, it doesn’t matter. Their standing within the group to see who goes to the next stage is based on wins, losses and ties. There’s also number of goals and penalties are also things they consider. I don’t know what stage if there’s a tie, then they go to first to extra time and if it’s still a tie, then there’s a shoot out round of 5 goals. If that still ends up in a tie, then there’s a sudden death shoot out.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:23 am I was watching part of the World Cup, and the USA game ended 1 to 1.

How does that work? Who goes forward then? How can a game end in a tie?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LOL! I was just telling DS that. We live in Mexico, so obviously we’re glued to the TV right now, but yeah, that pisses me off. It’s like this alleged big, strong, men all muscle, in great shape and tripping over or just bumping into the other guy is like they broke both their legs and have a concussion 😂
highlandmum wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:43 am To expand on what Olioxenfree stated - the two teams with the most points advance from each group. If two or more teams are tied in points there are tiebreakers that determine which team advances (thanks dad for explaining the tiebreakers)
1 - goal differential in all group matches (goals scored less goals surrendered)

On an aside I really cannot watch soccer at all. The players rolling around pretending they are hurt to get some type of advantage is painful. Get up and just play the damn game.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:46 pm LOL! I was just telling DS that. We live in Mexico, so obviously we’re glued to the TV right now, but yeah, that pisses me off. It’s like this alleged big, strong, men all muscle, in great shape and tripping over or just bumping into the other guy is like they broke both their legs and have a concussion 😂
highlandmum wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:43 am To expand on what Olioxenfree stated - the two teams with the most points advance from each group. If two or more teams are tied in points there are tiebreakers that determine which team advances (thanks dad for explaining the tiebreakers)

I'm a huge hockey fan so it really pisses me off. I watched a hockey game where the player took a stick to the face, he continued playing till the whistle, then skated to the bench, pulled his own tooth, handed it to the trainer (who took it with no hesitation), then went back on the ice for the power play. Not to mention the player that finished his shift after he leg was broken on the play. I just have no respect for a athlete who is pretending they are hurt.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I know! As I said, I was watching the Mexico-Poland match (another tie, BTW, but what a save on the second half by our boy Memo Ochoa! 😁) and these two players pretty much just bumped into each other. I mean, running, it may be somewhat uncomfortable, but then this guy drops to the ground grabbing his leg as if it was chopped off. Seriously? I’ve had nastiest falls than that and I just got up and walked it off.
But hey, it counts for statistics and if it’s a good move to waste playing time that’ll be detrimental for your team, then why not, I guess.
highlandmum wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:34 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:46 pm LOL! I was just telling DS that. We live in Mexico, so obviously we’re glued to the TV right now, but yeah, that pisses me off. It’s like this alleged big, strong, men all muscle, in great shape and tripping over or just bumping into the other guy is like they broke both their legs and have a concussion 😂

I'm a huge hockey fan so it really pisses me off. I watched a hockey game where the player took a stick to the face, he continued playing till the whistle, then skated to the bench, pulled his own tooth, handed it to the trainer (who took it with no hesitation), then went back on the ice for the power play. Not to mention the player that finished his shift after he leg was broken on the play. I just have no respect for a athlete who is pretending they are hurt.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I just want to know why Doha is breaking its promise on allowing any cooked Kosher food to be sold at FIFA World Cup.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I read about that and everyone is going all crazy about it, which as a person who keeps kosher myself, I can understand. But what I read is that they were concerned about safety for not having the means to ensure that safety where kosher food was available, in addition to all other securities concerns. And seeing as how this is a country where there could be hostilities towards Jewish people, having a large part of Jewish people concentrating in one place does sound like a terrorist attack waiting to happen. I don’t think it was that philosophically based as it was being afraid of an incident that would put such a tarnish on the thing. That’s also why I think we haven’t heard of any incidents regarding some of their laws, even though I’m sure some have broken, like the no drinking or no PDAs or needing to have shoulders, chest, stomach and knees covered up.
We all know Qatar bribed the FIFA to host the World Cup, it has been criticized from day one, especially since the last Cup was in Russia- with its own controversies. They’re probably trying to avoid any incident that will reflect badly.
I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt because their explanation doesn’t sound like a cheap excuse, it’s a legitimate concern.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:42 pm I just want to know why Doha is breaking its promise on allowing any cooked Kosher food to be sold at FIFA World Cup.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic