2 Hawaiian men guilty of hate crime in white man’s beating

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

HONOLULU (AP) — A jury on Thursday found two Native Hawaiian men guilty of a hate crime for the 2014 beating of a white man who was fixing up a house he purchased in their remote Maui neighborhood.

U.S. District Judge J. Michael Seabright ordered Kaulana Alo-Kaonohi and Levi Aki Jr. detained pending sentencing scheduled for March 2, and marshals moved to handcuff the two men after the verdict was announced in the afternoon."

https://apnews.com/article/crime-hawaii ... 4b60dc1b94
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

There is a lot of hate for Mainlanders in Hawaii. I can see why hate crime charges were brought up because hate crimes are not just based on race. So while I agree they probably didn't attack him because he was "white" it was still a hate crime because to them he was a "foreigner"
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:33 pm There is a lot of hate for Mainlanders in Hawaii. I can see why hate crime charges were brought up because hate crimes are not just based on race. So while I agree they probably didn't attack him because he was "white" it was still a hate crime because to them he was a "foreigner"
I assume the hate crime was brought up because they’re indigenous and he was not. Aren’t native Hawaiians Polynesian? But i didn’t read the article.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:33 pm There is a lot of hate for Mainlanders in Hawaii. I can see why hate crime charges were brought up because hate crimes are not just based on race. So while I agree they probably didn't attack him because he was "white" it was still a hate crime because to them he was a "foreigner"
I assume the hate crime was brought up because they’re indigenous and he was not. Aren’t native Hawaiians Polynesian? But i didn’t read the article.
It was a hate crime because the attack was based on the color of his skin. They used derogatory names in their language for a white person. I’m glad the couple settled in Puerto Rico. It would have been tough to live in a community where everyone hates you.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes, they two men who attacked were Native Hawaiians and the man they attacked was a caucasian man from the continental US. They used a derogatory slur which means "white man or foreigner" in hawaiian towards him and then tried to argue "It doesn't only mean white man".
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:13 pm
It was a hate crime because the attack was based on the color of his skin. They used derogatory names in their language for a white person. I’m glad the couple settled in Puerto Rico. It would have been tough to live in a community where everyone hates you.
What Haole?

Generally speaking (not just this story) it means white person but it depends on how it’s used because isn’t always derogatory.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:36 pm
Yes, they two men who attacked were Native Hawaiians and the man they attacked was a caucasian man from the continental US. They used a derogatory slur which mean "white man or foreigner" in hawaiian towards him and then tried to argue "It doesn't only mean white man".
That is partially true. Sometimes it’s derogatory, sometimes it’s just stating the person’s race.

“She is part Haole” = She is mixed with White.

“F***ing Haole” = Derogatory insult used to describe stereotypical white people behavior.

I guess that’s the best way to explain it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Yes, they two men who attacked were Native Hawaiians and the man they attacked was a caucasian man from the continental US. They used a derogatory slur which mean "white man or foreigner" in hawaiian towards him and then tried to argue "It doesn't only mean white man".
That is partially true. Sometimes it’s derogatory, sometimes it’s just stating the person’s race.

“F***ing Haole” = Derogatory insult used to describe stereotypical white people behavior.

Why would he be stating the man’s race in a fight? I think they are cracking down on hate crimes, like zero tolerance. You got a beef don’t bring race or nationality into it.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yeah but using it just before you beat the crap out of someone kind of implies it's being used in the derogatory fashion. Does it really make that much of a difference if you're describing their race or " mainland behavior"
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:45 pm

Yeah but using it just before you beat the crap out of someone kind of implies it's being used in the derogatory fashion. Does it really make that much of a difference if you're describing their race or " mainland behavior"
My comment was general about the term. I don’t know all the details of the altercation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic