Top QB recruit loses his college scholarship after singing along to a song in his car and sang the N word

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:18 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:31 am I think it should be criminal…

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
I’m not against that but I’m not black. Idk if this is true but my kids say nigga is acceptable. If you pronounce the R it isn’t. This came up because in a conversation i said the second version. I think i was referencing either a rap song or Huck Finn. My kids were like Mom don’t use the hard R. I don’t know if i listen to any rap that uses the N word. Most of the rappers i listen to happen to be white like Macklemore or Eminem. Now that being said i wouldn’t post myself rapping online. Maybe because i can’t. The whole thing is like my disabled friend calling herself crippled or a gimp. She can and lets me because I’m joking. Anyone else she’s going to raise hell.
I’m black… For me the n-word is offensive no matter the a or r ending. I don’t personally associate with anyone who uses that word. I don’t rap it, sing it, use as a term of endearment. Anytime that word as been directed at me it was done out of hatred/insult.

I teach my child not to use that word at all.

As far as the young man-he was stupid for posting it on social media. I think he should lose his scholarship over this.. there are consequences for actions. I would feel the same if the student was black.
I hear the word a lot and I’m a grown woman. I can only imagine teens today grew up with it and not as a derogatory word.

I watch the show Atlanta and they use the word at least 20 times every episode. What bothers me is every Black person they run into they call n…. Whether it’s the cashier at a store, a waiter, someone at a party, they just assume nobody minds I guess. Insecure was the same way on HBO. Everyone’s name appeared to be n….. The FX show Dave about two guys who got to be friends , a White rapper and Black hype man. The Black friend called his White friend “my N….”

Just walking down the street I hear it being yelled. The kid must hear the word all the time. My point is the kids growing up today hearing the word being used to describe someone is not the same circumstances as 50 years ago when it was an ugly violent hate word.

He seemed all happy singing welcome back n…. Not any bad intent at all.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm If those words are so offensive, then they shouldn't be in every single rap song.
Same with the word redneck?
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:37 pm

I’m not against that but I’m not black. Idk if this is true but my kids say nigga is acceptable. If you pronounce the R it isn’t. This came up because in a conversation i said the second version. I think i was referencing either a rap song or Huck Finn. My kids were like Mom don’t use the hard R. I don’t know if i listen to any rap that uses the N word. Most of the rappers i listen to happen to be white like Macklemore or Eminem. Now that being said i wouldn’t post myself rapping online. Maybe because i can’t. The whole thing is like my disabled friend calling herself crippled or a gimp. She can and lets me because I’m joking. Anyone else she’s going to raise hell.
I’m black… For me the n-word is offensive no matter the a or r ending. I don’t personally associate with anyone who uses that word. I don’t rap it, sing it, use as a term of endearment. Anytime that word as been directed at me it was done out of hatred/insult.

As far as the young man-he was stupid for posting it on social media. I think he should lose his scholarship over this.. there are consequences for actions. I would feel the same if the student was black.
I hear the word a lot and I’m a grown woman. I can only imagine teens today grew up with it and not as a derogatory word.

I watch the show Atlanta and they use the word at least 20 times every episode. What bothers me is every Black person they run into they call n…. Whether it’s the cashier at a store, a waiter, someone at a party, they just assume nobody minds I guess. Insecure was the same way on HBO. Everyone’s name appeared to be n….. The FX show Dave about two guys who got to be friends , a White rapper and Black hype man. The Black friend called his White friend “my N….”

Just walking down the street I hear it being yelled. The kid must hear the word all the time. My point is the kids growing up today hearing the word being used to describe someone is not the same circumstances as 50 years ago when it was an ugly violent hate word.

My morals, values and conduct are different than people you see on TV shows /rappers. The N word is not a word we use. In my real life the people I associate with don’t use the word or greet each other..The people I know are doctors, lawyers, educators, businessmen and women to greet one another like that is ignorant.

Where I live I don’t hear the n word often. Ive only heard it once at the school I’ve been at for the last 2 yrs.. and I shut that down immediately..the kid never said it in my presence again.

I teach my child she has an expansive vocabulary she doesn’t need to use that word because that is not who we are.

I will never co sign on the n word not meaning anything because it does( to me).. What I can do is not use it and teach my kid not to…to surround her self with people who are on the same page.

As I stated in my other reply-there are consequences for posting certain things. If the school determined his actions were in violation of student conduct they have every right to rescind the offer. I’m okay with that.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm If those words are so offensive, then they shouldn't be in every single rap song.
Redneck is a little different… there is a sense of pride in some people that call themselves rednecks because it means working hard outdoors and living a type of lifestyle.
Example, the song “ I’m rednecker than you”

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What a freaking bonehead. Seriously. I wonder sometimes if people don't do stupid things intentionally just to try to get away with it and laugh about it later.

Does he not see that people are accused of racism even when their actions aren't even racist? What is he not getting?

That's such a horrible word. I truly wish it would just be wiped out completely, but that will never happen until people stop using it as a song lyric. We don't need it. There's no point to keeping it. Everyone just stop saying it already. No one needs to say it ever. I really wish it would just go away. I personally would be happy never to hear it again and I'm white.

That's this gen Z or whatever these teens \ twenty somethings are - attention whores. Everything does not need to be online and everyone does not need to know about every single thing you do. Maybe he'll learn to keep things private now. Idiot.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 am
It can be done away with too I don’t really care *shrug* it just makes no sense to say oh this word is so offensive and then also have it in all popular culture including the vast majority of rap songs. Sends a conflicting message. It should just be gone completely.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:40 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:31 am I think it should be criminal…

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
Is it certain races or just one race? If a Hispanic player sang this song is that ok or would he lose his scholarship too? Asians? I don't listen to rap anymore but I did as a teen. And I definitely remember singing that word when listening to Snoop Dog for example in my room. Nobody cared but I guess now they do. The kid is stupid for putting it out there but...it's part of the song? I guess when you sing along really loud in your car alone you are supposed to pause for a moment? Do people do that? This is all so silly.
No one would have cared one bit that this kid was sitting in his car singing along to a song with that word if he didn't post it online. That is where he went wrong. This isn't about singing words in songs. This is about posting stuff online and facing consequences for what you put out there.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Where do you live that you hear the word all the time? I can't even remember the last time I heard someone use that word. Last instance that comes to mind was over 30 years ago.

I also have two boys who are in high school and I'm pretty certain they don't hear it regularly. Certainly them and their friend groups don't use it.

Maybe it's a subculture that finds it more acceptable, but overall I think it's still very unacceptable.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:55 pm

Where do you live that you hear the word all the time? I can't even remember the last time I heard someone use that word. Last instance that comes to mind was over 30 years ago.

I also have two boys who are in high school and I'm pretty certain they don't hear it regularly. Certainly them and their friend groups don't use it.

Maybe it's a subculture that finds it more acceptable, but overall I think it's still very unacceptable.
Are your boys and their friends White? I live in an area where White people are the minority. NYC. I know some Latinos use it. I don’t know any White people who use it.

Have you heard of the show called Atlanta? It gets high marks but not sure if it gets big numbers. It’s just one example of excessive use of the word. A lot of shows are similar.

We’ve seen some videos here where White young people were using the word to ridicule it, to be vile and nasty. I think we should recognize the big difference between the hate use of the word vs the singing along to a rap song.
Locked Previous topicNext topic