Top QB recruit loses his college scholarship after singing along to a song in his car and sang the N word

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:29 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:17 pm
RIZZY_1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:01 pm

I would rather not hear the words ever, from anyone, but I'm not going to go around dictating who can and can't say it from a legal perspective, white or not white. I just wouldn't choose to say it myself and I would probably not associate with people, or hire people, who felt they could freely use the word and post videos of themselves speaking that way on social media- white or not.

But that said, what exactly is the crime here? He's not even a student there yet. Has the university barred his admittance? Or just pulled the scholarship?
Pulling a scholarship due to unbecoming behavior, but only enforcing those rules against certain races is racist and by definition discriminatory.

“Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance.“
How do you know they only are enforcing it against certain races? They in all likelihood have a zero tolerance policy on it similar to most schools and universities.
Singing along to popular songs is not typically covered under a “no tolerance “ policy. If it were there would need to be a huge amount of students with consequences held against them.

Then that would create another legal battle because that would mean the university was restricting the free speech rights of their students since it could also be argued that artists’ using whatever verbiage they chose when creating and individuals listening to music is covered.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The teen made a stupid decision and faces severe consequences. Any white person in 2022 should know, you just never ever say that word.

We have had this conversation at least 15 times with our kids.

My personal feelings: I do not think one marginalized group should attempt to reclaim a word formerly used as an severe insult and reminiscent of trauma and use the word in popular music for profit to the masses, BUT then STILL ban it from use by majority group members. Managing language in such a way is confusing & damaging for everyone struggling to find harmony. I also feel one word sung to lyrics is a NOT a reliable indicator for identifying people that harbor major racism. I feel efforts would be better spent if social justice warriors were tackling institutional racism which permeates everything. But my personal feelings mean nothing, sometimes you just need to follow the rules to fit in society.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:40 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:17 pm

Pulling a scholarship due to unbecoming behavior, but only enforcing those rules against certain races is racist and by definition discriminatory.
"“Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance.“
How do you know they only are enforcing it against certain races? They in all likelihood have a zero tolerance policy on it similar to most schools and universities.
Singing along to popular songs is not typically covered under a “no tolerance “ policy. If it were there would need to be a huge amount of students with consequences held against them.

Then that would create another legal battle because that would mean the university was restricting the free speech rights of their students since it could also be argued that artists’ using whatever verbiage they chose when creating and individuals listening to music is covered.
"Singing along" isn't necessarily but posting clips to social media where it is viewed publicly IS. So again this is a consequence of the kids own stupidity. He violated the student code of conduct and the universities zero tolerance policy. Maybe he would have "gotten away with it" if he posted himself singing along to the ENTIRE song....but he didn't. He chose to only post the 2 seconds where a racial slur is used. At least the kid recognized his mistake after the fact and is accepting the consequence with "grace".

The only thing that sucks worse than being stupid is trying to defend stupidity.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When a song is produced for the masses one would assume the masses are meant to sing along. If that’s not the case then the offending word should be left off of the song.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm

"Singing along" isn't necessarily but posting clips to social media where it is viewed publicly IS. So again this is a consequence of the kids own stupidity. He violated the student code of conduct and the universities zero tolerance policy. Maybe he would have "gotten away with it" if he posted himself singing along to the ENTIRE song....but he didn't. He chose to only post the 2 seconds where a racial slur is used. At least the kid recognized his mistake after the fact and is accepting the consequence with "grace".

The only thing that sucks worse than being stupid is trying to defend stupidity.
I don’t think you’re aware that singing (whatever lyrics you want) is a protected form of free speech, whose laws apply to federally funded universities.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Race baiter
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:01 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm

I don’t think you’re aware that singing (whatever lyrics you want) is a protected form of free speech, whose laws apply to federally funded universities.
Posting to social media is not.
https://brandcenter.ufl.edu/social-medi ... egulations.

But I'll play....what song was he singing along to?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:45 am
RIZZY_1 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:31 am I think it should be criminal…

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
I've never felt like I couldn't take part in pop culture just because I can't sing the n-word. I am not being marginalized in any way for skipping that one particular word in the song. I don't understand why white people want to say the word so damn badly that they feel oppressed by not being "allowed" to say it without repercussions.

What should be criminal? The college rescinding his scholarship offer?
So when you are singing along alone in your car you really DO pause your singing words when the word nigga is used? I really had no idea people did that in their cars or homes. Call me naive. It's...the song. Do you also pause other words like if the song says retarded or any other insensitive word?
I hate rap.. Just not my cup of tea. That said, I do love Hamilton which is rap. In one song, Leslie Odom Jr. says the GD word. I do pause and not say it. If a word offends me, I refuse to say it/sing it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm

Barring certain races from being able to take part in popular culture is racism.

If the problem is that the words being popularized are racist, that needs to be addressed and either taken out of what is acceptable popular culture, or accepted as something all listeners can enjoy in the same equal way.
I’m not against that but I’m not black. Idk if this is true but my kids say nigga is acceptable. If you pronounce the R it isn’t. This came up because in a conversation i said the second version. I think i was referencing either a rap song or Huck Finn. My kids were like Mom don’t use the hard R. I don’t know if i listen to any rap that uses the N word. Most of the rappers i listen to happen to be white like Macklemore or Eminem. Now that being said i wouldn’t post myself rapping online. Maybe because i can’t. The whole thing is like my disabled friend calling herself crippled or a gimp. She can and lets me because I’m joking. Anyone else she’s going to raise hell.
I’m black… For me the n-word is offensive no matter the a or r ending. I don’t personally associate with anyone who uses that word. I don’t rap it, sing it, use as a term of endearment. Anytime that word as been directed at me it was done out of hatred/insult.

I teach my child not to use that word at all.

As far as the young man-he was stupid for posting it on social media. I think he should lose his scholarship over this.. there are consequences for actions. I would feel the same if the student was black.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:18 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm

I’m not against that but I’m not black. Idk if this is true but my kids say nigga is acceptable. If you pronounce the R it isn’t. This came up because in a conversation i said the second version. I think i was referencing either a rap song or Huck Finn. My kids were like Mom don’t use the hard R. I don’t know if i listen to any rap that uses the N word. Most of the rappers i listen to happen to be white like Macklemore or Eminem. Now that being said i wouldn’t post myself rapping online. Maybe because i can’t. The whole thing is like my disabled friend calling herself crippled or a gimp. She can and lets me because I’m joking. Anyone else she’s going to raise hell.
I’m black… For me the n-word is offensive no matter the a or r ending. I don’t personally associate with anyone who uses that word. I don’t rap it, sing it, use as a term of endearment. Anytime that word as been directed at me it was done out of hatred/insult.

I teach my child not to use that word at all.

As far as the young man-he was stupid for posting it on social media. I don’t think he should lose his scholarship over this.
I have never liked the word. I think it’s insulting and degrading. However i wouldn’t remove it from something like Huckleberry Finn which is about prejudices. I don’t use any form but have heard versions on social media. I’ve never heard my boys use it though. They told me because I referenced its use in rap music. I don’t think the man should lose his scholarship. I do think he broke a rule I’ve always followed which is: if you wouldn’t say it to your mama, priest, The police or your boss don’t post it on social media. Ditto if you don’t want your worse enemy to know it don’t say it on social media. Idc what your privacy settings are don’t do it. It will get back to the one person you don’t want it to at the worse possible moment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic