3 weeks until Thanksgiving day feast!

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:03 pm I didn’t actually meet the turkey, but it’s a local guy who runs the farm and he showed me pictures.
They look good and happy lol.

I’ve heard they’re the best too, every other turkey I’ve ever cooked was just frozen from the supermarket so it’s fun to find out how much better this might be
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:11 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:07 pm We’ve actually reserved a live turkey this year… we pick it up the week before thanksgiving.

It’s kind of weird knowing which specific turkey is going to be dinner lol.
I'm cooking three of them (donated by a local farm). I have no desire to meet them, lol. I won't even eat them as I'm vegetarian but I've been told fresh free-range turkey's are the best.
My farmer friend where I'm getting the turkeys told me that fresh free-range turkeys take less time to cook so if you haven't already, google it and adjust cooking times accordingly.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We are going to my inlaws this year. I think all of dh's siblings will be there. I honestly dislike going there. My son cannot eat gluten. So many in the family are dumb about it despite me trying to teach them. Oh we need to put flour on the turkey or it won't cook right. Gravy without flour is horrible. It is just a small amount, it shouldn't matter. I hate hearing this from them.
You would think after 15 years they would learn. I offer to make things for the group and I get turned down. So I make a small turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing for him. Then deal with them getting butthurt that he isn't eating what they made.

I am just over it. It doesn't make for a good day. I am thankful that my son can eat food. I just wish his family cared more about him than their traditional recipes...

Dh will smoke a turkey on Friday and we will have our own Thanksgiving meal. If ds can make it through Thanksgiving without getting sick from gluten. Vent over....
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:31 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:42 pm My menu is planned, half the shopping is done including the turkey, and only the perishables are left like produce, dairy, etc..

My husband and I are doing it all with the exception of my Mom bringing the Waldorf salad.

We're doing different appetizers for before and after the big meal. For dinner, it's turkey, a dressing casserole along with both greenbean casserole and sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and rolls. Dessert will be several different pies and breads.

Our son and his girlfriend along with our youngest daughter and her boyfriend will be here. Oldest daughter and her boyfriend might be here unless they get a shift at their EAH. And my Mom is coming.

Cannot wait!!
I am blown away by the amount of food Americans make for Thanksgiving dinner. My friend was down in Texas for a couple of years and admits down there Thanksgiving dinner is a all day production. She told me you know how in Canada you show up around 5 -5:30 eat dinner, talk, have a desert then leave about 8. That does not happen in the US.
We do like our get-togethers here in the US and with that, food will often play a big role in it.

Luckily, we all love our leftovers in our home and we'll be sending food home with my Mom and our youngest daughter and her boyfriend.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:42 pm My menu is planned, half the shopping is done including the turkey, and only the perishables are left like produce, dairy, etc..

My husband and I are doing it all with the exception of my Mom bringing the Waldorf salad.

We're doing different appetizers for before and after the big meal. For dinner, it's turkey, a dressing casserole along with both greenbean casserole and sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and rolls. Dessert will be several different pies and breads.

Our son and his girlfriend along with our youngest daughter and her boyfriend will be here. Oldest daughter and her boyfriend might be here unless they get a shift at their EAH. And my Mom is coming.

Cannot wait!!
I am blown away by the amount of food Americans make for Thanksgiving dinner. My friend was down in Texas for a couple of years and admits down there Thanksgiving dinner is a all day production. She told me you know how in Canada you show up around 5 -5:30 eat dinner, talk, have a desert then leave about 8. That does not happen in the US.
Not all of us are like that. We make several dishes but not a ton of each so we eat it Thanksgiving then eat leftovers for 1 meal the next day and other than some turkey we incorporate into some meals later (and we only buy a breast) it's basically gone.
But I've never known anyone who actually eats Thanksgiving dinner all day either. When we lived near my parents we would go over around 10 am after eating breakfast at home and help my mom cook. We'd eat around 4 pm (after skipping lunch) and have dessert a couple of hours later. It definitely wasn't an all day eating affair.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:18 pm We are going to my inlaws this year. I think all of dh's siblings will be there. I honestly dislike going there. My son cannot eat gluten. So many in the family are dumb about it despite me trying to teach them. Oh we need to put flour on the turkey or it won't cook right. Gravy without flour is horrible. It is just a small amount, it shouldn't matter. I hate hearing this from them.
You would think after 15 years they would learn. I offer to make things for the group and I get turned down. So I make a small turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing for him. Then deal with them getting butthurt that he isn't eating what they made.

I am just over it. It doesn't make for a good day. I am thankful that my son can eat food. I just wish his family cared more about him than their traditional recipes...

Dh will smoke a turkey on Friday and we will have our own Thanksgiving meal. If ds can make it through Thanksgiving without getting sick from gluten. Vent over....
When we have the whole family it includes several vegetarians. There is always a non-turkey entree, plus a tray of stuffing that is made separate from the bird so they can have some. Thanksgiving is all about abundance, sharing and hospitality so the more you can make people happy with food the better.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:25 pm

Cannot wait!!
Not all of us are like that. We make several dishes but not a ton of each so we eat it Thanksgiving then eat leftovers for 1 meal the next day and other than some turkey we incorporate into some meals later (and we only buy a breast) it's basically gone.
But I've never known anyone who actually eats Thanksgiving dinner all day either. When we lived near my parents we would go over around 10 am after eating breakfast at home and help my mom cook. We'd eat around 4 pm (after skipping lunch) and have dessert a couple of hours later. It definitely wasn't an all day eating affair.
I don’t think she meant they eat all day. I think she meant exactly what you stated, that you get there early in the day. I have never known anyone that does that.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:42 pm
CherryTreez wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:18 pm We are going to my inlaws this year. I think all of dh's siblings will be there. I honestly dislike going there. My son cannot eat gluten. So many in the family are dumb about it despite me trying to teach them. Oh we need to put flour on the turkey or it won't cook right. Gravy without flour is horrible. It is just a small amount, it shouldn't matter. I hate hearing this from them.

When we have the whole family it includes several vegetarians. There is always a non-turkey entree, plus a tray of stuffing that is made separate from the bird so they can have some. Thanksgiving is all about abundance, sharing and hospitality so the more you can make people happy with food the better.
That is how it should be. I swear some of them look for ways to add gluten to food. My family offered to make our last family meal all gluten free. Ds said no. Just the turkey and gravy.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not cooking this year. I feel like I want to go out to dinner or have something delivered.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We don’t even have Thanksgiving plans yet 🤷🏽‍♀️
All I know is I’m eating for 2 so I hope there’s a lot of food wherever we go…or even if we stay in
Anonymous 3

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:55 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:25 pm
I don’t think she meant they eat all day. I think she meant exactly what you stated, that you get there early in the day. I have never known anyone that does that.
Well to be fair it's not all time spent cooking we kind of drug it out just to spend time together because my dad didn't expect my mom to do anything else that day and he's usually very demanding of her time.
But now that its just the 4 of us meal prep is like an hour besides waiting for the turkey to cook.
Locked Previous topicNext topic