Checking kid’s phone texts…

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do you routinely or randomly view or read your children’s text communication? Or only if there is a behavior change or other concerns? Or never?

Is there a certain age you change your policy?
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I do not unless my spidey senses are tingling, and I’ve only had to do it a few times over the years. I’m sure I’ve missed things but that is also a part of growing up.

My mom didn’t sit around and listen to every single conversation, phone or otherwise, I had and she also didn’t intercept every single note that was written.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No but I know everyone they're texting pretty well too.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I never have looked at their texts. They know that if we saw we want to, they are to hand over their phones immediately unlocked though. I know everyone they text though and I'm friends with all of the parents except one girl that I just met her and her parents over the weekend.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Yes, I do. I check their texts and social media. I used to do it more frequently. Now I just do it every now and then, usually when something is off.

I figure I will stop when they turn 18, when they move out, or when they pay their own phone bill, when they've gone a long time without ever giving me a reason to worry...which ever comes first.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My son doesn't have a phone but I regularly go through his school computer. He is too naive for me not to. I'm keeping him safe. This is the kid who when one of those spam pop ups came up saying he won a free iPad be got all excited and believed it so I don't trust his judgement lol.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No never. Just never felt the need and they never give me a reason to.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I do random checks. My kids have to turn their phones in to us at night and I do it then. They also know If we ask for their phone they must hand it over no arguments or panic deleting. It’s extremely rare I do that though.

I’ve found things before though. Like oldest texting at all hours of the night when she should be sleeping. Or my middle child had TikTok when we specifically said no.

I’ll stop when they turn 18 and I’m not responsible for them making stupid decisions.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

When they first got their phones (6th grade for each) I would do weekly checks of their texts and then when they got social media (8th grade-ish) I had all of their login info so I could periodically look what was happening there.

Once they hit HS I quit checking as much, but will occasionally take a peek if something seems out of sorts. They both know that if I (or Dad) ask for their phones then they are to hand them over immediately with no questions asked. Sometimes I ask just to see their reaction and then go from there.

Neither kid has given us much reason to check over the years, but as long as I pay for the phones then I feel it is my prerogative to check them,
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I did not check my kids’ texts. They’ve not been kids for quite some time.
Locked Previous topicNext topic