Nothing has changed in 50 years

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There is a book called "The Encounter" by Malachi Martin from 1970. He claimed that religion is dying and the three major religions cannot co-exist with each other.
Some exports from the book review:

“When we examine the modem environment of man in which Judaism, Christianity and Islam find themselves, it is abundantly clear that these three religions are finished as major influences,” By definition, they’ lack the means of accommodating one another. "

He describes it as man gyrating in an enclosed whirlpool of lethally opposed drives, interests and instinct. The book goes into detail of the three major religions' histories and why he thinks they are not good for modern man.

On Judaism: "Essential differences separate normative Judaism and Israeli Judaism. One is God-centered, God-justified, God-preserved, God- exalted, oriented to the visible world. The other is self-justified, self-preserved, self-exalted, self-centered, oriented to the visible world. For this reason the claims of Israeli Judaism should actually be decided.

On Christianity: "History has taught us that Christians are capable of behaving like people without any religious principles precisely in order to further Christianity. The words remain Christian, the actions are unchristian. The total result is catastrophic . "

On Islam: "Nasser (former Egyptian leader in the 50's and 60's who called the Muslim Brotherhood malevolent terrorists) has found that classical Islam is incompatible with a modern constitutional state. Also incompatible with modern dictators bent on obtaining new territories and power. "

Fifty years later we haven't got much closer to understanding that maybe religion is a problem.

It's interesting to read old news articles from the 50's and 60's. It was 1966 when the Times magazine had the cover Is God Dead? Maybe

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/03/09/arch ... ailed.html
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Obviously he was wrong. So not even a smart hater. And soooo ignorant to add.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

They can’t really co-exist eventually in the future because as soon as the messiah comes for the Judaic religion, the Christian religion will think he’s the anti-Christ.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I do think eventually our world will evolve to a place where we don't need religion anymore and therefore religion doesn't exist. I also think it's going to take a lot more time to get there. We've just begun the journey. We are no where near the end.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:19 pm I do think eventually our world will evolve to a place where we don't need religion anymore and therefore religion doesn't exist. I also think it's going to take a lot more time to get there. We've just begun the journey. We are no where near the end.
I agree. I think faith will continue to exist but religious affiliation won't. Rise of the none's.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In moving away from supernatural explanations, we have thrown out the baby with the bathwater. The real strength of religion is providing a moral community to grow in.

I think in the future there could be many new religions, based not on supernatural claims, but on fellowship, mutual aid, celebration and a shared quest for transcendence.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Provided that those who practice a specific religion (and I'm not only referring to Christians) do not force their beliefs on others as they've done for so long, l do feel religions and those who don't follow one can coexist.

It's called mutual respect for the diversity in this world that goes beyond cultural, political, and social differences.

We have a long way to go and a lot of work to do to get there.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:59 pm Provided that those who practice a specific religion (and I'm not only referring to Christians) do not force their beliefs on others as they've done for so long, l do feel religions and those who don't follow one can coexist.

It's called mutual respect for the diversity in this world that goes beyond cultural, political, and social differences.

I'm not religious so perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't one of the tenants of most religions conversion? I mean, can you be Christian (even mainline Christian denominations) and not care if others believe as you do? Perhaps in some of the denominations like Quaker and Unitarian which are seeing record numbers of followers but if we look at religion as a "business", they need adherents to survive.

Personally, I feel that religious institutions who offer guidance and support for their entire community without exclusivity will survive. Those that try to remain exclusive, won't. I'm not going to see change in my life-time but maybe my kids?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:17 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:59 pm Provided that those who practice a specific religion (and I'm not only referring to Christians) do not force their beliefs on others as they've done for so long, l do feel religions and those who don't follow one can coexist.

I'm not religious so perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't one of the tenants of most religions conversion? I mean, can you be Christian (even mainline Christian denominations) and not care if others believe as you do? Perhaps in some of the denominations like Quaker and Unitarian which are seeing record numbers of followers but if we look at religion as a "business", they need adherents to survive.

Personally, I feel that religious institutions who offer guidance and support for their entire community without exclusivity will survive. Those that try to remain exclusive, won't. I'm not going to see change in my life-time but maybe my kids?
I, myself, am a Christian Unitarian and I've often wondered if I have always been so. I was raised in a Pentecostal Evangelical home though my late dad grew very disenchanted by what he viewed as corruption, hypocrisy, and exclusivity among those in his church that he had attended.

As a Unitarian, I feel that everyone has a right to believe in what they wish to...or don't believe in.

Yes, there are many Christians who feel that everyone must only follow the "good book," and live life as they believe god designed it. However, there are many others who simply want to be allowed to worship as they choose to and not be mocked and ridiculed for it.

I've found that many self-described "free thinkers" in this world are some of the least free thinking individual's on the planet UNLESS you agree with them.

Unless someone or many are choke-holding others to "do as the bible tells you to," they should be free to believe as they do and as they find it useful and beneficial in their own lives.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In some religions, yes. Judaism, for example, makes conversion very hard. It’s a long and very hard process for the one wishing to convert.
I know there are also Christian denominations that aren’t involved in proselytizing.
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:17 pm

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic