They wouldn't approve my vacation so I walked out

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have been with my company for 5 years. In that time I have never taken a vacation or called in. In fact I probably pick up more shifts than anyone else and help out more.

I'm burnt out and need a vacation. I requested 2 weeks off and they denied it. I came in to work early just to put in the request and it was denied before my shift even started. So I told my boss I was done and walked out.

We have a staffing issue but I should be able to take a vacation once in 5 years.

I've already had 4 people call me telling me to come back. My boss was in tears begging me. Nope. Not going to work at a place that doesn't even value all the hard work I have put in.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You need the “that escalated quickly” meme!

Hope you enjoy your vacation!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Okay 👌
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

You have to do what you feel is best for yourself.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Congratulations! Enjoy your freedom!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Where do you plan to go on vacation?
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:17 pm We have a staffing issue but I should be able to take a vacation once in 5 years.
Yes, you should. And, yes, sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand.

I suggest enjoying your vacation and, when you return with a fresh mind, have a dialog with the company about improving communication (read their human resources documentation in advance, so you know if they have violated any of their own internal policies). You may or may not end up back in your old job (but get in writing, if it is a case of being re-hired, that you don't lose seniority).

But don't think about that now, or make decisions about it. You can put that off until after the 2 weeks. The only think you should try to do, is not burn any bridges. Don't send any righteous parting messages saying "You're evil, I hate you all, and I never want to work there again." If you have to send a message, keep it short, polite and truthful (eg "For mental health reasons, I am not currently able to carry on working until I have taken a break. Let's talk when I get back. Sorry for any inconvenience.").
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This company clearly doesn't value you for all the work you've done.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Just curious - why did you not take any vacation in the last 5 years?
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There are people at work that have quitted because our boss keeps messing up the scheduling and people's vacations.
Locked Previous topicNext topic