How would you even pull this off?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My husband is deaf/hard of hearing. He started learning ASL several years ago on his own, then decided to go to school for it. He now works as an ASL interpreter in addition to his business.

When he first started learning ASL, we all learned with him. When he started school, the program was very intensive. Even though it was just a certificate/associates degree, it required many hours per week of volunteering, meet ups, etc. I became very overwhelmed, it almost felt like I was a single parent again. So, I stopped learning and just focused on work and family.

Now, I regret it and I wish I had never stopped learning. So, I've been looking into classes.

But I would really like it to be somewhat of a surprise for him. I would want to keep mum about it until I have finished ASL I and II (by that point, I would be at a conversational level but not fluent). But I would have to pay for the classes, buy textbooks, etc. I know he would be absolutely thrilled. How could you keep something like that a secret from your spouse? Would I hide my textbooks or something? And how would I go to all of the meet ups, etc., without him?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You might have to reveal your surprise a little earlier in the process. But it's still a wonderful surprise.

Side note, I love ASL and know a little. I never looked at the teacher if we had an interpreter in class - I was riveted by the motion.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What about apps? I'm sure there's some that teach it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:42 pm What about apps? I'm sure there's some that teach it.
I've tried several of them and they're okay but that's not going to get me to where I want. Youtube is better but I really want in-person. And I think signing up for and paying for a class will help me be more accountable to myself.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:52 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:42 pm What about apps? I'm sure there's some that teach it.
I've tried several of them and they're okay but that's not going to get me to where I want. Youtube is better but I really want in-person. And I think signing up for and paying for a class will help me be more accountable to myself.
Just lie. Tell him you are taking a cooking or gardening class and you have meet ups for it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I would just tell him that you have a plan for a surprise for him that will require some money and occasional times away from home. Open up a personal PayPal account and transfer the money from your joint account into the PP account so he can't see what the payments are going to.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:46 pm I would just tell him that you have a plan for a surprise for him that will require some money and occasional times away from home. Open up a personal PayPal account and transfer the money from your joint account into the PP account so he can't see what the payments are going to.
I never thought of that. Such a great idea. Thank you!!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic