How many pets are too many? (hurricane related)

Anonymous 4

Unread post

My ex bil has six cats. His husband has another six and I assume that’s why they have separate residences. I don’t think they need to evacuate though. They’re out of the evacuate zone and in houses. Personally I think they have too many but whatever they want to do long as they have ability to care for them. It only becomes my problem when ds goes over because he starts sneezing and watery eyes. Usually we dose him with Zrytec and he doesn’t go often. Especially now that he’s an adult.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Is the carrier/crate requirement because they are evacuating to a shelter? I have carriers for my cats but not for my two large dogs. I couldn't get two large dog crates into my car!
We do not have crates for our dogs either. Like you we have two very large dogs (100lbs each). It would be impossible to put any crate of that size into my car, and my DH would only be able to fit one if we had any.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am at my max with a small dog & a chinchilla.

But I have no malice towards those who have more pets than our families.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have 2 dogs and that's my limit. We did have 3 and that was way too much. The answer I suppose depends on your income, time, space you have. Obviously no one can pay proper attention to 100 dogs for example but if you are financially, specially and time wise capable I don't see anything wrong with having a few pets.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Having a farm wouldn't keep multiple pets and safer in the event of a natural disaster. And having multiple pets is not at all why these people live in rvs and trailers.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:26 pm Having a farm wouldn't keep multiple pets and safer in the event of a natural disaster. And having multiple pets is not at all why these people live in rvs and trailers.

It kinda is. No apartments rent to people with 6 dogs and 2 cats. And the nicer homes in FL are usually in an HOA that have rules that you can't have over a certain number of pets. And they limit the types of pets too.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No limit if you can manage whatever number you have. I have three indoor cats with carriers available and some extras if I could get the feral cat colony (5) cats into them. I could get two in for sure because they are very tame. We are high up and on the side of a hill so I cannot imagine we would ever be flooded but I would try to get as many of the ferals into the basement as I could if a bad storm or tornado came through..
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I have ancient guinea pigs and a hamster and have no problems if I had to evacuate.

I have been up to 3 guinea pigs and 4 hamsters, That was too many.

When I had a fire at my apartment, we had 3 hamsters and a bearded dragon and some fish.. The fish didn't make it...But the manager of the complex. Rescued my 3 fuzz ball and bearded dragon!
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

We have 3 dogs. I feel like I am at my max but it is not just because I'm in a flood-prone area. It's because they are so much work and so expensive! Yes, the more animals you have, the more difficult everything is- including boarding, vacationing, evacuating, etc.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

For me personally, I've never owned more than 1 dog at a time and I wouldn't want more than 1 large/med or 2 small dogs. When we had cats, we found three was too many. One was fine, two was great, when we added a third (to help a friend who needed to get rid of his) it just seemed overkill. We only had the three for a short time because then my mom took the third one when she moved to the area.

For people in general, I know some cities actually have limits on how many one household can own within city limits. So if you live in a city with such a limit, I'd say that's your limit. In my city it's 3 dogs and 3 cats over the age of 4 months. A neighbor of ours got into trouble for that because they had a dog that had a litter of pups but they kept the entire litter for at least a year. They had 5 or 6 little yappy dogs living on their property and yapping it up all hours of the day and night. Animal control came and talked to them a few times, and then the dogs were gone.

I've never lived in an evacuation area but if I did I would make sure that I had whatever was needed to evacuate my animals along with myself. It seems irresponsible not to.
Locked Previous topicNext topic