How many pets are too many? (hurricane related)

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:11 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:04 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Or load up the dogs in the car and put the folded kennel in the trunk. The only kennel we have that won’t fit in my trunk folded but will fit in bed of dh’s truck is the extra large ones that we use as their “dens”. Those suckers put together come up to my waist and I’m 5’6”. Dd(22) has laid in one with her German Shepard when fireworks are really bad.
Yup. Just as an aside, we transported our Golden (with a mix of Standard Poodle) to Africa and he had to be in cargo in an "approved" carrier - solid sides so a crate wouldn't do. We had to have one custom made as the largest carrier wouldn't accommodate him because he's so leggy and his head touched the top. We ended up renting a trailer to haul the carrier, pooch in the backseat, to the airport. It was a $7000 fiasco but got our dog to Africa and he's home now in US looking at me with those puppy dog eyes.
😳 7000, for the carrier or the whole process of getting him to Africa?

Did they quarantine him? How’d he do? That was my biggest concern when Dh was offered a position out of the states. That the quarantine time would be hard on them, especially our older dogs.
The process! I think the carrier was about $400. We've taken our dog to countries in Central Asia and Europe with no issue but taking him to Zimbabwe was an expensive PITA as he had to transit through South Africa. He had a required 48 hour quarantine in SA but we hired a pet service (global paws - they are awesome) to meet him when he arrived, take him to their facility to quarantine, and then take him back to the airport for his flight to Zim. He did have a 24 hour layover in Atlanta but the staff/facility there was amazing and we had access to a video cam in his "room". It was about a 4 days trip for him but he arrived not appearing stressed at all.

In most cases, when traveling overseas, dogs can accompany you on flights which is what happened in all other cases of our moves. When we left Zim we traveled back to the US via Ethiopia so our dog (and the cat we acquired) travelled on the same flight as we did and were considered excess baggage so fees were about $400 for both. Some countries like SA require dogs to be transported as cargo and have to quarantine. If just depends on what countries your dogs would have travel through to get to your final destination and what the regs are at the host country.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It's sad that it takes financial resources to evacuate. Maybe that should be the conversation?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well… from what I’ve seen after hurricanes hit, neither are houses…
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:02 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:00 am My BIL is facing the same problem. He doesn't live in a trailer though. I'm not sure what living in a trailer has to do with it?
Because the trailers are not safe to be in during a major hurricane.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It is sad, but the reality is that things cost money and while some people can donate time, money and resources, it may not always be enough.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm It's sad that it takes financial resources to evacuate. Maybe that should be the conversation?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

So don’t get a horse, eh?
Locked Previous topicNext topic